Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo S40 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor problem

Views : 7519

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2019, 09:12   #1
Surfingbird
EFI Tuning enthusiast

Default Volvo S40 Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor problem

Hello everybody.

I have some issues with my newly bought 2006 Volvo S40 2.4 (B5244S5) 230 K miles driven.

Once in a while, a Engine service Urgent warning comes up, with the code reader saying something like Accelerator Pedal Position sensor fault. I forgot to write down the code, but do you know of any common issues here? Seems i am not the only one having some trouble with this kind of thing. I'll add in the codes ASAP, do not know have the code reader near me right now.

It runs fine even when the warning light is on, cruise control works too. Any ideas on how to test it, i figured it could be some fault in the comparation between the pedal sensor and throttle blade position sensor.

Last edited by Surfingbird; May 29th, 2019 at 09:21.
Surfingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 11:28   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfingbird View Post
Hello everybody.

I have some issues with my newly bought 2006 Volvo S40 2.4 (B5244S5) 230 K miles driven.

Once in a while, a Engine service Urgent warning comes up, with the code reader saying something like Accelerator Pedal Position sensor fault. I forgot to write down the code, but do you know of any common issues here? Seems i am not the only one having some trouble with this kind of thing. I'll add in the codes ASAP, do not know have the code reader near me right now.

It runs fine even when the warning light is on, cruise control works too. Any ideas on how to test it, i figured it could be some fault in the comparation between the pedal sensor and throttle blade position sensor.
This fault is never the accelerator pedal , it is the connectors on the pedal , volvo do repair wires for it you need 7 i think .. i would change the signal wire too which goes direct to the CEM from the pedal and also change the terminal on the CEM end of this wire .
Old May 29th, 2019, 11:58   #3
Surfingbird
EFI Tuning enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This fault is never the accelerator pedal , it is the connectors on the pedal , volvo do repair wires for it you need 7 i think .. i would change the signal wire too which goes direct to the CEM from the pedal and also change the terminal on the CEM end of this wire .
I see! I am decent on wiring jobs, i was searching for what kind of voltage you would expect from the signal line to the CEM but didnt find anything.

I will try looking at it, thanks a lot.
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:35   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
I see! I am decent on wiring jobs, i was searching for what kind of voltage you would expect from the signal line to the CEM but didnt find anything.

I will try looking at it, thanks a lot.
The signal line from pedal to CEM is a white wire and is an analogue 0 to 5 v signal depending on the position of the pedal , there is a duplicate digital signal which goes through the network system to the Engine ECU for safety , they must both match otherwise it sets a fault code .
Old May 29th, 2019, 12:44   #5
Surfingbird
EFI Tuning enthusiast

Quote:
The signal line from pedal to CEM is a white wire and is an analogue 0 to 5 v signal depending on the position of the pedal , there is a duplicate digital signal which goes through the network system to the Engine ECU for safety , they must both match otherwise it sets a fault code .
Allright. I will try to get to measure that. Guessing 5V is full throttle.

Thanks a lot for helping. Do you have any locations for diagrams that can be of use?
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 22:29   #6
Surfingbird
EFI Tuning enthusiast

Would one expect to see 0% at the accelerator pedal at ignition on, engine off? I see 8% and around 60% opening at pedal to the floor, ignition on, engine off.
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 22:32   #7
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Would one expect to see 0% at the accelerator pedal at ignition on, engine off? I see 8% and around 60% opening at pedal to the floor, ignition on, engine off.
yes , it is not 0 - 100% :-)
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 23:14   #8
Surfingbird
EFI Tuning enthusiast

Quote:
yes , it is not 0 - 100% :-)
Cheers. Will be trying to fix it tomorrow morning. Wish me luck, found a OEM diagram, so should be relatively easy to track the wires.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 08:59   #9
Surfingbird
EFI Tuning enthusiast

Default Fixed

So far it seems like it is fixed. No faults for the last week or so

I degreased and cleaned all connectors in the CEM module, and covered all connectors in oxidizing protection.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 10:39   #10
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
So far it seems like it is fixed. No faults for the last week or so

I degreased and cleaned all connectors in the CEM module, and covered all connectors in oxidizing protection.
you should have replaced the connector terminals at the CEM and pedal , the problem will come back ....