Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Intermittent Engine Shut-off

Views : 794

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 12th, 2019, 11:11   #11
aardvarkash10
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
You forgot a couple of things Ash - first is LH2.2, same thing can happen on the and second is the first rule of diagnosis.
hoisted by my own petard

aardvarkash10 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aardvarkash10 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 19:24   #12
rockaholic

Thank you all for the great responses. I think it might have been the white relay. I opened her up, cleaned them very dirty contacts and it hasn't misbehaved since. Although, its motorbike season, so not too many km's on the Volvo these days.

But I am prepping the wagon for a long trip to the Balkans so I will check all of those things you have mentioned.

I am still struggling to find the cause for the fluctuating idle speed. It goes up and down by 50 or 100 rpm when idling. MAF cleaned, throttle body cleaned, IAC valve cleaned then replaced with another used one, vacuum leak checked, no luck. The weave is small, but noticeable. Am I too OCD and these cars are meant to be like this, or I am looking in the wrong places? Do I need to check the dizzy-cap? It is a high milage motor - 430,000km - but runs quite good apart from these few issues.

Much appreciated.
rockaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rockaholic For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 21:44   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic View Post

I am still struggling to find the cause for the fluctuating idle speed. It goes up and down by 50 or 100 rpm when idling.
Have you checked that when it's idling the throttle position switch is made?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 02:21   #14
TonyS9
Premier Member

2 simple diagnostic checks you can do say alot.

1. Check for the rpm needle flickering slightly when trying to start (when its not starting). it means you have spark and crank sensor and probably a fuel problem.

2. Listen for the fuel pump priming when turning the ignition on, you need a quiet area to hear it. It means the relay and pump is working.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 08:45   #15
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
2 simple diagnostic checks you can do say alot.

1. Check for the rpm needle flickering slightly when trying to start (when its not starting). it means you have spark and crank sensor and probably a fuel problem.

2. Listen for the fuel pump priming when turning the ignition on, you need a quiet area to hear it. It means the relay and pump is working.
It would appear to have been the fuel pump relay Tony :

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaholic View Post
Thank you all for the great responses. I think it might have been the white relay. I opened her up, cleaned them very dirty contacts and it hasn't misbehaved since.
Hopefully nothing more sinister like a double-headed problem and a potentially dodgy CPS like you allude to.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 09:52   #16
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Variation in idle speed

Have you tried idling with the alternator belt removed? It could be a varying load from the alternator. No A/C compressor clutch switching on and off?

As for the fuel pump relay: just replace it for a new one. They are not expensive and it is not just the contacts that get dirty, but also the soldering joints that deteriorate because of the relatively high amperage going through. I just replaced mine for the second time in over 600K km.

BTW: I would not call a 430K km a high milage engine yet, many have done at least 100 or 200K km more.
Rversteeg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 20:38   #17
TonyS9
Premier Member

Always have a spare fuel relay. They are over stressed, and overheated. If its not the contacts or the solder the wires break inside the coils.
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote