Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 v XC60

Views : 3384

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 20:04   #11
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

It is the rear door arrangement which really puts me off the XC60. All the 5hit from the road gets flung into the rear edge of the rear door. If you look in the wheelarch you can even see the rubber of the rear door seal. I cant see how this will be durable and also it must be really easy to get mucky when getting in......
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 20:09   #12
Skep

I have recently gone from MY16 XC90 R-Design to a MY XC90 R-Resign Pro, both D5, MY19 is powerpulse, MY16 wasn’t, oh and I have polestar on the new one. The car looks the same but how different they feel to drive. The new one on 22” wheels and air compared to 20” coils, but it’s all so much quieter and so so much smoother to drive. The same car in essence but the difference is night and day, so much moves on with existing tech that you only see with a new car. I had a hire XC60 while mine was being repaired last year and loved it, felt more like the MY19 90 than the MY16.

Happy motoring
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 21:27   #13
Sceptre123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
It is the rear door arrangement which really puts me off the XC60. All the 5hit from the road gets flung into the rear edge of the rear door. If you look in the wheelarch you can even see the rubber of the rear door seal. I cant see how this will be durable and also it must be really easy to get mucky when getting in......
The kids were very surprised by the windows... wasn't something I thought about before I'd signed the paperwork!
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 21:52   #14
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
The kids were very surprised by the windows... wasn't something I thought about before I'd signed the paperwork!
What about them? Do they not go down all the way due to the wheel arch intrusion?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2019, 21:58   #15
Sceptre123

The windows go to about 3” from the bottom. Far enough for the kids but not as nice as been in the back of an XC90...
Sceptre123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 00:59   #16
DangerMUK
VOC Member

I mean I went from XC60 to XC90 and I would still probably say on balance, the XC60 is the slightly better looking car of the two (in R-Design trim for the XC90 and Inscription Pro for the XC60 so not an exact pairing).

Neither the XC60 or the XC90 are the best looking 4x4s in my humble opinion but they are both good looking SUVs.

I can't speak for any engines other than T8 variants, the XC90 is slower than the XC60 but it feels less front driven in the more powerful modes which I like.

I wouldn't specifically single one or the other out as being distinctly better in my opinion but again that's just me!

Possibly XC90
DangerMUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DangerMUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 01:04   #17
soupytwister
Master Member

I might be a bit biased given owning one, but of all the SPA's, I think the XC90 is the best looking by far. I've got a bursting blue R-Design in 2017 form, so again, think it looks the part Each to their own naturally. I also think it holds it ground against X5 and Q7 in the looks department, and I prefer to the XC90 out of all 3 to be honest. Swedish looks I guess rather than Germanic function.

I like the looks of the V90 from the front and sides, but the rear lights just don't sit well with me. Ditto S90.

XC60 also looks fine from front and side, but rear also doesn't seem right. It's the lights again, just don't like them. I just can't get on with the inwards design towards the number plate.

V60 doesn't seem too bad, but having had one as a courtesy car, the front interior space is cramped. It also felt a bit "plastic" compared to the XC90.

S60 looks quite nice, but I suspect will also suffer from cramped interior.

XC40 is just a sort of mini-SUV - doesn't look too bad for what it is, but is down a class. I expect if the V60 feels "plastic", I'm sure the XC40 will be the same.

Last edited by soupytwister; Jun 15th, 2019 at 01:07.
soupytwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 02:14   #18
Quacker
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
It is a pain on the previous generation Range Rover [no idea about current one] and even the Classic Range Rover. It’s bad enough for town driving but when it’s used like I use them, they get really really filthy in that area and it isn’t nice or even acceptable. The one area Volvo have improved on XC60 compared with 90 is that the doors extend past the sills, where the 90 has sills that both protrude and get dirty. The Ford Edge is excellent in this respect as the doors extend way down over the sills and perhaps are even part of the sills for crash protection. The passengers don’t have to extend their legs out of the side hardly at all to reach the ground. Pity about the plastics surrounding the Sync3 though.

Last edited by Quacker; Jun 15th, 2019 at 02:23.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 02:54   #19
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangey View Post
You are saying the OP CAN'T compare his previous car with his new car ? Is there a legal presedence for this ?

I'm pretty sure he is aware that a diesel is different from a petrol, that the performance is different, that the weight ratios are different. He never said he was comparing like-for-like, just his old car with his new car, given the worry he had prior to changing.
It's a comparison that makes no sense then. It's a comparison of his own experience and that being said, makes no relevance whatsoever in comparing two different products. You like one more or you like the other more. period. you can't compare their specific different specs in order to say this is the one.
Old Jun 16th, 2019, 02:55   #20
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sceptre123 View Post
Haha “can’t compare”

I can compare... I’m a car user and that is my experience! I thought it worth letting other forum members know my experience incase it helps them consider similar or different options.

Hope all other forum users found it helpful.
Well you can do whatever you want, this a free democratic forum and all comments are valid but to be honest, your comparison makes no difference. It's useless and a complete nonsense.

Last edited by VOLVOL0VER; Jun 16th, 2019 at 03:03.
VOLVOL0VER is offline   Reply With Quote