Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Reversing Camera vs 360

Views : 3717

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2019, 16:17   #1
s3t0Kaiba

Default Reversing Camera vs 360

I was using a V60 loan car recently which had a reversing camera and I noticed that obstacles are also highlighted in the camera view. See the 3 orange highlights against the wall in the attachment.

My own car is XC90 MY19 with the 360 view but when selecting the rear camera, obstacles are not highlighted in the camera image, you only get them indicated in that smaller static car image between the various settings at the bottom of the screen.

What I'm wondering is if I'm missing something - you don't get obstacle highlighting in the individual camera views if you have 360?

For that reason I find that I only ever use overhead 360 view and never bother with the individual cameras, I find it's too hard to judge distance.

Anybody else with XC90 360 view, is that just the way it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1007.jpg (54.3 KB, 245 views)
s3t0Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 16:42   #2
s3t0Kaiba

197 views and no replies!

So - a direct question - anyone with reversing camera only, do you get the obstacles highlighted in the camera view like in the photograph? What SPA model do you have?

If you have an XC90 with 360 parking, and you select the reversing camera, do you get the obstacles highlighted? What SPA model do you have?

Mine doesn't do it - it seems like a strange omission from 360 so I was wondering if something was wrong with mine.
s3t0Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 18:58   #3
nu11eaf
Premier Member

I always have mine set to 360 unless hitching up my caravan and I can't remember what is displayed, I go by the beeps more than anything to let me know how close I am to anything.
360 is better when parking as you can see the parking bay lines front back and sides.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nu11eaf For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 19:33   #4
Lexman8
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3t0Kaiba View Post
197 views and no replies!
Same as nu11eaf, mine is always in 360 mode so I've no idea how a single camera view looks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 19:46   #5
XCeed

Never use the individual cameras. The 360 mode is so good you need nothing else to see the position of the car and what is around you. It also makes the hit-and-miss automatic parking superfluous.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C4CF0FFC-79BE-429E-8732-EA3AB99B4007.jpg (80.9 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by XCeed; Jun 15th, 2019 at 20:48. Reason: Added thumbnail
XCeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCeed For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 20:00   #6
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Whilst I like the 360 Camera, what gets me annoyed is that when going in a fwd motion there is no “one touch” means to turn it on.
Imagine the scenario of driving fwd down a multi story car park ramp with the parking sensors activated.......the only way is to engage reverse (and frighten the driver behind you) and then use the cameras.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 20:10   #7
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjedrake View Post
Whilst I like the 360 Camera, what gets me annoyed is that when going in a fwd motion there is no “one touch” means to turn it on.
Imagine the scenario of driving fwd down a multi story car park ramp with the parking sensors activated.......the only way is to engage reverse (and frighten the driver behind you) and then use the cameras.
Surely, you just tap Camera icon to turn on 360 camera at low speeds.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 20:33   #8
Zebra
Chief of Staff

I don't think you are actually getting the obstacles highlighted. It is just the four zone proximity markers which go from yellow to red depending how close you are to the objects.

The 360 does the same only all round. My wife's work car park is very tight to manoeuvre in and when running the 360 camera there are colours all over the screen with a cacophony of sound warnings indicating what is close.

360 used most of the time. Occasionally use individual cameras to see closely on that side.

V40 D2 R-Design Nav Plus MY2017, 18" wheels, winter pack.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zebra For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 21:33   #9
HamDenFede

XC60 MY18 here, and I dont think my car shows the colored markings in the actual image, but only on the little black/white area below. Not sure though, but will definitely test next time I get in the car.

In 360 mode, it does show the colors as described in this thread.
HamDenFede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HamDenFede For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 22:04   #10
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCeed View Post
Surely, you just tap Camera icon to turn on 360 camera at low speeds.
That’s impossible in fwd motion in my above scenario with the parking sensor screen operating with a sensor(s) going off - try it!