Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 bumpy ride

Views : 1834

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 12th, 2002, 23:08   #1
MvE

Hi

I have another query regarding my 1995 960 saloon.

I have recently noticed that the ride seems to have become a bit bumpy, I can’t recall if it has always been like this or whether it has slowly crept up on me.

It seems like every bump in the road can be felt. I suspect that the shocks are past their best but the car has only done 45000 miles. Can shocks wear out this soon?

I am considering changing all four shocks but I should hate to change them if it’s not going to make any difference.

Is it normal for a 1995 960 to have a bumpy ride? I think that Volvo modified the suspension design in 95 to give better handling, maybe the ride suffered as a result? My car has the transverse leaf spring at the back and does NOT have the self levelling type shocks.

Has anyone experienced a shock change on the post 95 model? What difference did it make?

All advise welcome.

Cheers, Mark
Old Jul 15th, 2002, 09:34   #2
Cougar 27

Its very strange you have said this, my Volvo has just come back from a very lengthy repair and as a result I have not driven it for many months, so I took the family out in it for the day. I had complaints from the ‘back seat drivers’ that the ride was very bumpy and wallowed.

I had never noticed this before but when taking corners the body roll seemed excessive. My car has only done 53,000 miles and has the self-levelling suspension. But the shocks couldn’t have past there best already (could they).

On recently fitting new tyres a report can back saying one of my rear shocks had been leaking so this would explain the poor handling. How much are new self levelling shocks, I dread to think !…

Before this I thought the 95 M.Y handed very well for such a heavy car. So I would check your shocks for leaks…

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 21:20   #3
MvE

Your description of your car’s handling sound just like mine. My 960 bumps about and wallows from side to side especially while going round tight corners. It feels more like a boat in a storm than a luxury car.

Checked the shocks today and found no leaks. I suppose that they could still be worn even if they aren’t leaking. I think that I will have to bite the bullet and get a new set. Perhaps I will just do the rear ones first (easier to put on), if that make a difference I could go the whole hog and do the front ones too.

Cheers, Mark
Old Jul 15th, 2002, 21:42   #4
George Holmer

Someone told me that the shocks need replacing every 30000-40000 miles, at least the self levelling ones. German, Swedish and French do them @109 each I think.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbodiesel Intercooler
'89 440 GL 1.7