Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nasty Occassional Brake Grind

Views : 1195

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2002, 11:16   #1
icurnow

Sometimes when decelerating often going down hill, a very very nasty grinding vibration from front drivers area vibrates through whole car. Passengers look sidways at me!!!!

Now its recently had discs and pads, MOT and a second look at braking system. On rollong road all brakes top notch and no grind - it has to be something else.. tends to happen when approaching roundabouts as front of car settles on nose a bit.

Any ideas?

Ian
Old May 30th, 2002, 18:58   #2
rstrang

Default RE: Nasty Occassional Brake Grind

Hi,

You say recent discs and pads, were they genuine Volvo parts?.

Had this on 3rd party pads from German & Swedish.

Richard
rstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 07:37   #3
icurnow

Discs are ATE OEM, pads 3rd party from euro car parts. Could the pads really be doing this, I had wondered about wheel bearing?

Ian
Old May 31st, 2002, 09:24   #4
rstrang

Ian,

Can't remember manufacturer of pads could have been Zimmerman or some thing similar. Brakes stopped fine but when the car was loaded and brakes hot got a lot of noise/vibration. Changed pads for Volvo supplied ATE pads with integral shims has been Ok. ever since.

I don't know what other peoples experiences are.

Richard
rstrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2002, 09:46   #5
icurnow

Thanks for the advice - really useful. Think this is probably what I'm suffering, bit sickening that a 3rd part pad should do this, especially when I got them out and re copper eased them last week!! Looks like their destined for the tip and I had better go get some proper ones!!

Makes a cronic noise when it does it doesnt it!!!!!!!!

Thanks Ian