Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Extended Warranty

Views : 1897

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 30th, 2002, 22:27   #1
campbellr

The Volvo selected used car 12 month/20K mile warranty on my 98 V70 2.5T (56K miles) expires in August.
My car has the dreaded air con which seems to work fine and the electrics are good.
The only problem so far has been oil leaks, the dealer had the car for 3 days to replace the crankshaft oil seal, oil is still going somewhere (1ltr/5k miles) but not on the drive and no smoke.

Volvo have offered to extend the warranty for a further 12months/20K miles for £528, am I heading for big bills which would make it worthwhile spending this amount of money, or can I relax.
Any advice welcome.

Rod.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:31   #2
Networkguy

Default RE: Extended Warranty

I looked at this a few weeks back when my Volvo warranty expired.

Car Care Plan would not cover me anymore due to the milage I was doing so I had words with my dealer.

They recomended a company called Warranty Holdings (underwritten by WHA) at a cost of £990.

A bit of digging later and I found I could buy the same thing direct for £292 with unlimited milage and a few of the optional extras.

My view was that at less than £300 with me doing over 30k miles a year, it was worth it. At £900+, I would have taken the chance.

The other option is to put that money in the bank and use it if something ever goes wrong. After all, the whole idea with insurance is that hopefully you will never need to use it.

Having said that, if anything major goes in the next 12 months, I am guessing that it will cost a lot more than £300

If you want the details, let me know.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2002, 22:38   #3
campbellr

Thanks for the information, £900 is very steep and certainly is out of the question for me also. My annual mileage is fairly average at about 10-12K, but since I already have had an expensive repair done and I am still woried about the oil consumption I feel I need some kind of insurance against a bankrupting bill.
If the Warranty Holdings plan covers the same items as the Volvo warranty then it is definitely something I will consider.
Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 11:42   #4
Networkguy

>If the Warranty Holdings plan covers the same items as the
>Volvo warranty then it is definitely something I will
>consider.

Provide me with your email address and I will scan the policy booklet and send it to you so you can see for yourself.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 10:48   #5
gavin_rattray

Just thought I'd let you know my experience with a WHA warranty.
I had a very comprehensive warranty on my 850 volvo through WHA.
When the car needed a new clutch release bearing, they were very reluctant to pay (I'm sure it was only the fact that I was prepared to go to court that made them pay). The bearing was clearly covered and I hadn't broken any of the conditions of the warranty. However, their get out (spread through the small print) is they won't pay for:
wear, bad design, bad installation, failure caused through failure of a related component.
Oh! and they won't pay if a component hasn't failed completely and also, they won't pay if a car has been driven with a fault until a failure occurs.
I couldn't work out what they do have to pay for, there didn't seem to be anything left.
I hope you have been warned.
Old Jun 4th, 2002, 22:29   #6
campbellr

Thanks for that information Gavin, the Volvo warranty appears to be cast iron, I would like a cast iron warranty with absolutely no hassle so I guess that good warranties come at a price.
On reflection the cost of the Volvo warranty is about 8 hours labour in a dealers so adding parts on top maybe that isnt such a bad deal after all for peace of mind.
Old Jun 5th, 2002, 23:56   #7
Mike Smith
Master Member

Hi
I've just taken out a warranty with warranty wise (www.warrantywise.co.uk) for a 4 year period, and if no claims are made you get a full refund, all be it less 5% of the premium, might be worth a look??

Regards
Mike Smith
----------
96 850 GLT

For Every Problem - There is a Solution, Hopefully!
Gallery
Mike Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2002, 09:00   #8
Networkguy

>Hi
>I've just taken out a warranty with warranty wise
>(www.warrantywise.co.uk)

Once again, this is underwritten by WHA (as per comments above).

Indeed most of them seem to be underwritten by WHA except for the Volvo one by Car Care Plan.

The only reason I went for one over the other is that Warrantywise would not bill me dealer directly in the event of a claim.
Old Jun 6th, 2002, 22:04   #9
campbellr

Thanks for all of your views, my last two Volvos have had the Volvo warranty probably by Car Care Plan.
I know this to be a hassle free warranty so all things considered I think I will opt to renew this for another 12 months by the end of which hopefully my oil loss problem should be sorted and I could be happy and less poor than if I have to pick up the full bill myself.