Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Occasional Brake Pedal Vibrations

Views : 1361

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 16:57   #1
WONGJPW

Default Occasional Brake Pedal Vibrations

Hi,

Got an odd one on my 1995 T5 Auto. Basically the brake pedal very occasionally (i.e. twice in the last 5 weeks), when slowing down gently is making a buzzing sound and there was alot of vibration via the pedal for the first few miles after startup (i.e. it sounded like someone been electrocuted!) The car braked fine, but this vibration was unnerving to say the least. It seems to be when the car has stood for one day or there is heavy rain - wondering if this is how the abs works from cold / wet normally or it could be something else. No ABS warning lights come on, and a garage recently checked it and said the left abs sensor was a little suspect and reset this. The ABS control unit was also recently replaced under warranty.

Thanking everyone for their help.

Jon Wong
Old Jun 7th, 2002, 21:59   #2
Mike Arnold
Master Member

Default RE: Occasional Brake Pedal Vibrations

Suggestions:

1. faulty ABS sensor or unit.
2. seized caliper
3. thick rust rim build up on disc.
Old Jun 8th, 2002, 00:28   #3
sheerwater
Master Member

Can be caused by certain types of brake pad / disc combinations.
As this happens after rain/wet/and or standing or after washing and standing you may find that the disc is rusting in a certain pattern albeit small. A look at your discs may reveal marks vertically as opposed to the concerntic rings. These will show up as black lines and show where the pad has sat overnight on several occasions. Dont ask me why it happens on some cars but not others but it does!!!. My 740 sits for weeks rusting on the disc but this grinds off in a few miles and is then smooth. My 940 on the other hand had genuine volvo parts and suffered the symptoms you describe and they took ages to wear away. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:05   #4
WONGJPW

Guys,

Thanks for the feedback - I suspect the sensor is the culprit. It happened again this Friday after about 20 - 30 mins of driving so it is intermittent. The garage did say the sensor was suspect. Question is will it damage anything driving with this (the sound is very worrying!!)?

Jon Wong