Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > AWD Discussion

Notices

AWD Discussion A forum dedicated to the AWD systems fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 V70 AWD ... Help please

Views : 1366

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2012, 19:20   #1
jinx

Default 2005 V70 AWD ... Help please

Hello all,

I went over something in the road yesterday and it smashed into the protection plate (ironically) across the transmission tunnel about half way down the car, bending the plate up into the exhaust and that in turn smashed the exhaust centre box into the propshaft denting and bending it.

I have a couple of questions...can i completely remove the propshaft from the car and run on 2WD only until i can find a reasonably priced repacement and if someone has access to volvo parts list etc, could you tell me if the propshaft on my car is the same as the ones found on XC70's of the same era?

Thanks for any help forthcoming,

Gaz
jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 20:49   #2
TiredGeek
Master Member

Must have been a big something

AFAIK there's no problem removing the prop shaft for the short term, just remember you don't have the grip your used to...

Can't help with the other Q, sorry.

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 21:01   #3
Thanatos
VOC Member

Yes you can remove it. And you will be fwd with no traction control as the car won't see the rears spinning.

Have you thought about sending it away to be refurbished it is cheaper then a new one

One place I can recommend is north west prop shafts in Chorley there very knowledgable and can do anything to the prop that is required.

As for the propshaft I have just looked. And there are three different. Prop shafts

Once you get it off measure the front of the prop to the yoke as that's the part that's a different length and its held on with 12 m8x40 bolts.
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2012, 21:26   #4
harveys
Master Member

Hi I know it's to late for you.
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...acket-of-death
harveys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 07:16   #5
jinx

Red face Thanks

Thanks everyone,

I have thought about sending it off for fixing, so thanks for the information.

If only i had seen the article on this before, i would have taken it off....

Cheers

Gaz
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 17:40   #6
jinx

Default Does that mean it'll fit?

Quote:
Once you get it off measure the front of the prop to the yoke as that's the part that's a different length and its held on with 12 m8x40 bolts.
If it is only the bit forward of the yoke UJ then are the bits aft of the Uj all the same length.
I only ask because if they are the same then i can replace all aft of the yoke with a used one because the damage on mine is aft of the yoke and the forward bit is undamaged (if that makes sense).

If any of you have access to a live version of Volvo parts, and wouldn't mind looking up the part number for the propshaft for reg # (AP54 OXB) i would greatly appreciate it....just to hasten the delivery of a new one, and what length of rear prop it is please?

Sorry to bother you all again, but Volvo want £1000 for a new one and tbh, that is a bit much when i can if all else fails get it repaired for around £200.

Many thanks

Gaz
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 20:02   #7
TiredGeek
Master Member

Well I never knew about that!
Checked my car, the bracket of death was still being fitted in 2007, but by the end of Saturday it'll be in the bin.....
The number of times I've caught the bottom of the car on compacted snow/ice left by the plow at the end of my drive... I've been very lucky

Defected to BMW. 335d xdrive.
TiredGeek is offline   Reply With Quote