Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 593882

Replies : 2689

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 26th, 2016, 18:41   #1011
NigelDay
Premier Member

There is a 'Coupe' version of the GLC pictured in Autocar today. £3k more, and targeted at the X4. It still has the issues of the 'iPad' screen and no spare wheel, so is probably not a contender. The mid-size SUV market is getting very crowded.
Also read an early long-term test report on the Discovery Sport in Autocar. 31mpg did not sound too impressive.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 18:44   #1012
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem View Post
Clan has recently stated that there is a fix for the EGR/Oxygen sensor problem, but when I spoke to the Senior Technician only last Tuesday, he gave no indication that a fix, was anytime soon.

Thinking about a V90, but will Volvo have the problem sorted out soon ?
Would it be possible for Clan or any other Forum members with the 'knowledge' to publish the Technical Journal number for the latest EGR fix updates ? At least then we can go into the dealers armed with the official information, and it will be the same, not conflicting (incomplete / inaccurate) as seems to be happening just now. I can't imagine a TJ number is itself confidential information.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.

Last edited by NigelDay; Mar 26th, 2016 at 18:55.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 21:31   #1013
tem
Premier Member

I see we have pasted the 1000 posts regarding this.
With nearly 81000 views, surely someone within the Volvo empire should be taking note of our problems.

Regarding Technical Journals?
You will see one attached to a Technicians clip board, but in all the years that I have owned Volvo's, I have never been able to get a copy.
Why?

tem.
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 21:50   #1014
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
With nearly 81000 views, surely someone within the Volvo empire should be taking note of our problems.

You will see one attached to a Technicians clip board, but in all the years that I have owned Volvo's, I have never been able to get a copy.
Why?

tem.
Problem ? What problem ? It can only be that Volvo will never acknowledge there is a widespread problem with the EGR in the VEA. Simply because their lawyers will have advised them this way. This is also why there will never be a full recall. I could be proved wrong, but I doubt it. However, the widespread reports (including from Taiwan, just recently) will make it difficult for Volvo to escape responsibility on an individual basis. Sadly, there will be those who get the appropriate dealer service, and those who will be fobbed-off and/or charged for work which should be done foc (and charged back to Volvo). Evidence for this ? Some reports of drivers being told it is their driving style or 'wrong diesel'. As I have commented before, the true test will come when EGRs are presented to dealers outside the warranty period. This will start to 'kick-in' later this year. On this point, it will also make it VERY difficult for drivers who leave the authorised dealer network for servicing after the warranty expires. Note for all here, I think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 23:06   #1015
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
Problem ? What problem ? It can only be that Volvo will never acknowledge there is a widespread problem with the EGR in the VEA. Simply because their lawyers will have advised them this way. This is also why there will never be a full recall. I could be proved wrong, but I doubt it.
I agree 100%. Volvo is getting away with it by the skin of its teeth, and only because only a minority of affected cars are going into limp mode.

It's interesting what Redsun said earlier, about 6+ cars that he knows of going back to the lease firm because of problems. I'm sure his isn't the only company at which this is happening.

If the much-vaunted 'permanent fix' for the EGR problems doesn't put this to bed once and for all, I am starting to think that Volvo Cars' future could be at risk. Taking over 18 months and several attempts to fix this problem is not acceptable, and a sign that development of the VEA engine was either inadequate, or rushed, or both.

Don't get me wrong - I really like my V60. It's my second one in succession. And the VEA D4 is an excellent engine. But owning one is a hassle with all the visits to the dealer, even though the dealer has been unfailingly helpful. Word is getting around and Volvo will lose potential customers for its diesels.

Also, my next company car will probably be a hybrid, for BIK tax reasons. From what I can see, Volvo isn't planning on introducing a competitively-priced hybrid (i.e. under £30K) that will compete with the BMW 330 and VW Passat / Audi A3 hybrids. So they risk losing customers for hybrids too, despite the Twin Engine having been on the market for so long.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2016, 23:16   #1016
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

Why?

tem.
They are strictly confidential in most trades ... you wouldn't walk into Airbus or McLaren sports cars and ask for their technical bulletins i suppose even if you were buying one of their planes or cars ...
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 19:51   #1017
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
If the much-vaunted 'permanent fix' for the EGR problems doesn't put this to bed once and for all, I am starting to think that Volvo Cars' future could be at risk. Taking over 18 months and several attempts to fix this problem is not acceptable, and a sign that development of the VEA engine was either inadequate, or rushed, or both.
This certainly hasn't been Volvo's finest hour and it does seem that the EGR issue wasn't found during testing, for whatever reason, and you are right, it shouldn't have taken 18 months and to come up with a fix.

I do not however think that the company's future is at risk (even if the permanent fix isn't the end of the story). Volvo Cars is a large organisation with £13bn turnover and c.£380m net profit last year. The EGR issue is affecting what, a few thousand cars? It may end up costing several million pounds to resolve and lose them some sales but I do not see it significantly impacting Volvo Cars' future.
techwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 20:22   #1018
tem
Premier Member

It must now be over 24 months since the D4 VEA engine was first produced and still no fix to the problem.
Within the next 10 months or so, warranties will be expiring and I have yet to see any assurance that Volvo will foot the bill, if the EGR/Oxygen sensor problem has not been resolved.

Order a new Volvo?
Big question with the current problems.

I wonder if someone could set up a poll:
" Would you order another Volvo considering the current EGR problems?"
Or something similar.

tem.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 22:47   #1019
Marc01

Quote:
It must now be over 24 months since the D4 VEA engine was first produced and still no fix to the problem.
Within the next 10 months or so, warranties will be expiring and I have yet to see any assurance that Volvo will foot the bill, if the EGR/Oxygen sensor problem has not been resolved.

Order a new Volvo?
Big question with the current problems.

I wonder if someone could set up a poll:
" Would you order another Volvo considering the current EGR problems?"
Or something similar.

tem.
The poll is pointless, it would be to biased...
I for one would by another Volvo, even with all the problems I am having with the D4 vea, that's as of this moment! I have written assurance from Volvo that they will take into "consideration" the "history" of the car outside of warranty when it comes to repairs that were ongoing within warranty, but it's a pretty flimsy email from Volvo UK which does not directly specify what my problems were or what they consider history.

At the end of the day it would be naive to think the grass is greener and other manafacturers are a vast improvement over Volvo, they are not.

Who remembers Mercedes and the rust problems they had, has it affected sales or impacted long term opinion of them significantly?
Marc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marc01 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 28th, 2016, 17:30   #1020
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster View Post
No I havent seen an egr issue yet with a new xc90, i'm talking 2 issues country wide
Thanks Rooster. Just trying to find out more about the ones that have. Wasn't sure if you were speaking from personal experience or if it was something you'd heard.

I was wondering if it was like the last EGR problem Arianne had were it was eventually diagnosed as a faulty exhaust temperature sensor or if it was a true EGR issue they had. Some pretty high miles for a new car are being reached by people on the new XC90 forum by a significant number of people so I would have thought we would have heard something by now if there was an issue with the D5 VEA engine.

All these things get resolved eventually though. The old XC90's continue to pile up the miles despite all the complaints that people had about them originally. With Volvo's mods and a bit of common-sense they've become great cars to own.