Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tapping from engine bay

Views : 1908

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 20:49   #1
sfrost

I've got a 940 Wentworth turbo, 94 K plate with an auto gearbox. Generally runs like a swiss watch but has recently started making a tapping noise at low revs. Seems to happen more at the start of a journey, and dissapears as soon as you get up to a decent speed. The problem seemed to start just after I'd topped the oil up.

I used to have an old Austin 1100 with a BMC pushrod engine. Used to rattle like the very devil. This sounds a bit like that (although nothing like as bad).

Bit worried as I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and don't want to end up on the back of a recovery truck.

All sugestions welcome
Old Jul 22nd, 2002, 23:57   #2
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Default RE: Tapping from engine bay

We need a little more information to go on. Like how many miles has the car done? Did you inadvertantly overfill the engine? It is possible that a valve may have become sticky or a tappet may have come out of spec. It may also be something catching on the fan blades. There are so many causes for ticking noises under the bonnet.

All the best, Peter.
Peter Milnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:21   #3
sfrost

Its done 123,000. Ive had it since 96,000 (about 2 years). Serviced every 10,000 with an oil change every 5,000. It doesn't get thrashed and does a lot of urban driving. It gets used for towing about half a dozen times a year, and then only a trailer.

I go over it once a week checking the usual stuff. There have been no dramatic dives in fluid levels. Seems to get through about 500ml of oil between changes - which doesn't seem bad to me. No obvious leaks.

The noise seems to be coming from the cambelt end of the rocker cover. Sounds a bit like my wifes sewing machine. Goes off once you get above 15-20mph.

Regards

Simon
Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:12   #4
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

A high probability is that one or more of the injectors is suffering from a bit of dirt. I would suggest that you use a fuel/injector cleaner (fluid) in a full tank of fuel and monitor the noise over the use of the tankfull. It may clear but even if it does not your fuel system in general will benefit. The treatment is designed to keep the system clean for up to ten refuellings. It would be a good idea to ensure that each injector's electrical plug is making good contact with the injector. A slightly loose tappet clearance could also be the cause.

All the best, Peter.
Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:37   #5
sfrost

Discovered what may be the problem. Exhaust manifold gasket has failed, and is blowing when the engine is cold. I'm replacing that and we'll see if that fixes it. Thanks for the tip about fuel injector cleaner though. I've never done that, and I ought to really.

I'll keep you posted

Cheers

Simon
Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:19   #6
sfrost

To confirm that replacing the exhaust manifold gasket cured the problem.

Simon
Old Jul 25th, 2002, 22:35   #7
Peter Milnes
Premier Member

Thankyou for the information Simon. I should imagine that the gasket being like a hole allowed some tappet noise to filter out with the gasses.

All the best, Peter.