Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Ive ditched the Nivomats

Views : 1974

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 13:15   #1
sheerwater
Master Member

Default Ive ditched the Nivomats

At last Ive ditched the Nivomats on my 940. Oh how lovely to drive the car in a straight line again!!!!! No more bouncy ride as the car now soaks up the bumps beautifully whereas before it was like a ping pong ball on concrete with only one passenger. To be fair to the Nivomats it might not be their fault that wander was experienced. As listed on the site before the dealer and Volvo would only replace one faulty one at 40K miles so producing an unbalanced pair. Squeak and moan as much as I wanted to dealer and Volvo there was no way that they would replace both yet Sachs/Boge state catagorically that they must be replaced in pairs. So a little message to Volvo. We are due to replace both our cars soon with a budget of £45,000 to £50,000 and guess which company will not be top of the list. Any company in our books which does not honour its guarantees and will not abide by the manufacturers technical criteria has only got itself to blame for lost business. Cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2002, 15:15   #2
johndglynn

Default RE: Ive ditched the Nivomats

Well done mate - there was a thread a while back about body roll and I mentioned you hated those things. Have al so written to Volvo about this steering column problem - outrageous that they are not paying to correct their mistake. If you want to have a non-dealer test drive of anything then let me know as have quite a bit around me at the minute, you should try that new A4 TDi of mine.

That thing will be in the post next week - have not fitted hitch yet, been breaking Renault 21 Turbos!!

Cheers

JG
johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26th, 2002, 19:43   #3
sheerwater
Master Member

Cheers for the support. Will look forward to the disc cheers. By the way checkout www.abd.org.uk and maybe join. Shows what a conning lot this Govt is regarding speed cameras. Cheers Nigel PS new speed limits on Northampton to Harborough road at Maidwell to Arthingworth. yep they are even making country roads 40mph so that they can screw you.
Old Jul 26th, 2002, 19:57   #4
George Holmer

Come on, Nigel. Give me a car manufacturer/dealer who is not dishonest, overcharge on car parts and services and refuse to recognise any responsibility for anything and I'll give you Santa Claus head on a plate. The fact of the matter is, the type of customer service we have learnt to take for granted from some types of retailers are simply non existant in the car trade. Personally, I buy cars that have proven their quality by virtue of having survived many years and miles and spend my hard earnt cash on them, they usually last me a long while. Every single person I know who bought a new car have horror stories, and every time I have used a franschised garage, I have been throughly disappointed and over charged. No, no, Nigel, stick to Volvos but forget about Volvo. They make damn good cars and that is all we need to know.

George

'87 745 GLE Turbodiesel Intercooler
'89 440 GL 1.7
Old Jul 28th, 2002, 14:12   #5
sheerwater
Master Member

Trouble is George that having got used to Volvos, their quirks and their repair over the past 24 or so years I have become blinkered as to the progress by other manufacturers. Yes Volvo were the inovators in the early days with safety on windscreens, safety belts etc but most of this innovation is now widespread across most makes. Check the league tables on safety and you will find that Renault and Audi are well up the scale now. As for safety I believe that Volvo still manufacture cars with that extra set of seats in the estates which is actually in a crumple zone. This said I think that to be fair to Volvo I will tell my story. Having owned 1x144s, 3x245s, 2x340s, 2x440s,2x V70s 1x740s and 2x940s and currently own one 940estate,one 740estate and a V70 diesel estate it is fair to say that I am in a position to comment on the quality of any one Volvo compared with another. I also repair 1x940, 1x740, 2x v70,1x850,1x850t5r belonging to relatives and friends. In 1997 I must have lost leave of my senses. The advert stated that 940s were being discontinued. Wow I thought my last chance of getting a decent Volvo (the type I loved) and a chance to own a car with a 5 year warranty, serviced by the dealer and no more grubby hands. Stupid stupid me. After parting with a (then) years salary I took delivery of a car I thought would be trouble free. It was registered on 1/1/98. Since then the car travelled a grand total of 62000 miles. Now in this magnificent mileage the car has suffered the following faults. A faulty gearbox,replaced, A faulty exhaust,replaced,faulty front shocks,not replaced under warranty, faulty rear nivomat,only one replaced, clutch master cylinder, replaced, drivers door seal rotted away,replaced, rear disc warp in the first 20k miles,replaced,aircon hose split,replaced,alarm problems, anti roll donuts split, anti roll bushes rotted, control arm to wishbone bush split, steering rack failure, steering bush failure,rubber around windscreen rotted,bracket holding jack broken off although jack never used, a howl/squalk from the clutch, heat shield for exhaust split, turbo to exhaust manifold leaking,2 faulty heated seat switches, These are the majorish problems. there are numerous minor problems fixable by me. How is the car driven. Exactly the same way as all the others were without this sort of problem. Why is the mileage so low after 4.5 years? because the hard work is still done by the 740 with 170k on the clock. The problem car has full service history on the dot at main dealer. Does not tow. Is not used for cross country trials and looks in showroom condition. Now if there is anyone out there who thinks I should be a happy bunny after gleefully handing over a full years salary on my dream car only to have this sort of problem week in week out then I am astounded. While my neighbours sit in their gardens enjoying the sun I am under the damn thing again trying to fix more problems. And if anyone asks why the warranty is not covering all the faults they have not read the small print. Yep Volvo used to make fine cars and may still do so. All I ask is why is this one such a bum car. The old saying once bitten twice shy springs to mind. Cheers Nigel