Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Tyres (2002 remix)

Views : 1963

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 14th, 2002, 20:30   #1
Networkguy

Default Tyres (2002 remix)

Having had a look through the archives, this hasn't been covered outside of the performance car section (and they won't let me join) for at least 6 months or so and the market has changed so here goes.

After 35,000 miles, I am looking at a new set of front tyres on my 98' S70 TDi. The size is 195/60 R15 and I am currently running Vredsteins (I think that's how you spell it).

Now they have served me well and I have got decent mileage out of them (mainly motorway) but they are not the most comfortable tyre although they are pretty good in the wet.

So what are you all running.

I had P6000s on in the past but they only lasted 10k miles so that rules them out.

I hear good things about the Continental ECO somethings but as we all know, the magazine reviews tend to not give a real world view so here I am asking real world owners.

Over to you.
Networkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 21:05   #2
alexzoutsos

Perhaps it's late and I'm missing something! What do you mean they won't let you join???

For one thing there is no 'membership requirements' and you have a bloody 2000 R so I think that qualifies you if there was one :)!!
Old May 14th, 2002, 22:06   #3
Networkguy

Default RE: Tyres (2002 remix)

>Perhaps it's late and I'm missing something! What do you
>mean they won't let you join???

Well was being a bit tongue in cheek.
>
>For one thing there is no 'membership requirements' and you
>have a bloody 2000 R so I think that qualifies you if there
>was one :)!!

?

Look again. S70 SE TDi

I think they would get fed up with me at the track days as they get lost in the smoke screen I leave behind me :P

I always thought the performance car section was for performance Volvo car owners. I don't think the TDi falls into that catagory.

PS

Where did you get the impression I had a 2000 R?

Old May 14th, 2002, 22:14   #4
alexzoutsos

Hum!

Weren't you the one looking for an R through alt.autos.volvo a while back, who eventually got one from Carpenters..

Obvisouly not! That was someone on here, I get muddled! AHH! Just remembered ( i think) that was Tim Guy! DOH!

On a more serious note, all the requirement is for the performance section is that you have an interest in performance volvos! If you wanted to bring your car along, just chat or whatever you would be more than welcome.
Old May 14th, 2002, 22:17   #5
noiseboy
VOC Member

Diesel is the new modified car thing actually!! Lots of the mags are doing 250BHP project diesel cars, which are keeping some petrols a run for their money top end...

You would be made very welcome if you wanted to come to a performance car section meeting!! Any volvo owner is always welcome!

RE: The tyres, you should check out Michelin Pilots, Simon Linton is running them with excellent results, and good milage. Also - I'm running Avon ZZ3s which are a new tyre, maybe a bit soft for your milage requirements, but very very grippy, and good value at less than £100 quid even for the "R" tyres.

With Best Regards,

Phil :-)

www.t5r.org
noiseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2002, 22:26   #6
Networkguy

>Diesel is the new modified car thing actually!! Lots of the
>mags are doing 250BHP project diesel cars, which are keeping
>some petrols a run for their money top end...

I still keep looking at the BMW D10 and thinking mmmmmmmm!!! (sorry)
>
>You would be made very welcome if you wanted to come to a
>performance car section meeting!!

And there was me thinking everybody would laugh at Mr Oil Burner (ideas above his station etc).

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:54   #7
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

Good tyres are the most effective performance upgrade, simply because all the handling and performance goes through them.

Remember that Phil and I are both talking about that rare beast the 205/45 17", something you don't have to worry about.

Though Phil will probably remove my gonads, I've never heard anything good about any Avon tyre in any of the reviews; this of course may be the exception.

With your diesel, you need a tyre with grip and economy rather than out and out performance, I've tried Continental tyres on my earlier 850 with excellent results and other member have had similar successes.

I'd stick with premium brands and ask around the tyre fitter places for their opinions (with reservations, obviously) but remember that the good ones will want you back, so they won't stitch you up.

Another thing to think about is ride comfort - this can vary considerably from carcass to carcass.

Regarding the Performance Section, why not come along on Saturday and try your oil burner out at Santa Pod - I'll be there doing my 0-60 towing a caravan :-)
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2002, 19:00   #8
cootuk
Premier Member

I've got a 1996 850 2.5l and put Continental Ecocontacts on.
About £70 per tyre fitted, but bought them at KwikFit on credit...3 months interest free so that gives you time to save.
Good grip, but then new tyres should be....doesn't seem to be much info on the net about real life tyre performace in the UK.

I was quoted higher in the shop than on their website...but they pricematched when I said I would order over the net and come back in a couple of days to have them fitted if they didn't match the cheaper price.

cootuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2002, 19:07   #9
Networkguy

>I've got a 1996 850 2.5l and put Continental Ecocontacts on.
>About £70 per tyre fitted, but bought them at KwikFit on
>credit...3 months interest free so that gives you time to
>save.

Money isn't a problem although with the milage I do, I need something sensible life wise. Besides, I wouldn't let KwikFit anywhere near my car.

>doesn't seem to
>be much info on the net about real life tyre performace in
>the UK.
This is the problem.

How are your tyres wearing?

Cheers
Old May 16th, 2002, 22:05   #10
dr dolittle

Networkguy,

"looking at a BMW B10 .... mmmmmmm ....", I can only assume you have been out too long in the midday sun ... or are drunk ! Book yourself a test drive in a Volvo D5 ... MMMMMMMMM ! even our most die hard petrol head at work has recently bought one ! If he thinks they're ok , they're OK .

On a more serious note, these modern common rail diesels do have MASSIVE torque and will give a lot of hot gasoline cars a run for their money ... I was almost embarassed by a new Golf TDi recently - I had to use the full potency of my slightly doggy 94 T5 to avoid breathing black smoke !

Dr D

PS Check out the featured "rQ article" on www.ricardo.com for more D5 praise ...