Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Car sickness/ Rear Shock absorbers

Views : 1674

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 21st, 2002, 13:53   #1
jaytee
Jim

Default Car sickness/ Rear Shock absorbers

Hi all

Has anyone any ideas regarding car sickness?? My daughter often feels a bit sick, more often on twisting roads than straight. I know about the chains/ conductive straps/ tablets/ pressure bands for wrists etc.which may improve things but I have an idea that new rear shocks may help, especially Konis which dampen in both directions. The existing original shocks (1996 850 Tdi est.) SEEM not to be bouncy at 78000 miles, but I'm sure they are past their best.

I seem to remember something about the sensation being worse when sitting right over the rear wheels, its never as bad in the front seat as the movement is more of a pitch than up/down. Any bright ideas would be appreciated.
Who sells Konis at attractive prices??

Jim
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2002, 22:39   #2
sheerwater
Master Member

Default RE: Car sickness/ Rear Shock absorbers

Hi,
I always suffered from car sickness as a kid and I agree its never as bad sitting in the front seat. So.... why is the good point. Firstly sitting in the front seat you can see straight in front of you at the changes in the road so your brain anticipates corners etc. Think about a roller coaster ride. Not so bad in the light but the real scary ones are in the dark!!!!. Also reading / games etc are bad. Head down, movement of book slightly backwards and forwards causes constant refocus of the eyes. Coupled with the inner ear sensing a different movement to the one the eyes are sending to the brain confuses everything. Back to the front seat. How often do you hear of the driver eing car sick. Virtualy never because the brain is receiving signals which coordinate.Sea sickness is similar if inside a ferry. Your eyes see a view that seems stable but the ears detect movement that the brain cannot understand. Most rear seats are lower than front seats and forward view is obscured by headrests etc. One simple solution is as follows. Raise by cushions so the rear passenger can see forward onto the road. No reading or looking downwards. Play music through headhones which being ear related tend to over-ride the inner ear balance mechanism. And no food which is greasy. Sucking boiled sweets yes...chocolate no!!!... as for the koni's ....no idea sorry!!
cheers Nigel
sheerwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 08:41   #3
Simon Linton
850/70 Register Keeper

The suggestions elsewhere are all good, but the damper rate is certainly a factor in car sickness.

Vauxhalls have a real problem with their pitch and bounce rates - Vectras/Cavaliers are very sicky cars and Astras are so bad that I felt ill driving the thing!

You'll need to replace all the dampers to get the desired effect though, otherwise you could make matters worse and muck up the handling.

Go for stiffer gas dampers with greater bounce control - it's the wallowing that really makes people ill at reasonable speeds; though if you start hurling it into corners you'll make the passengers ill whatever you've fitted.
Simon Linton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2002, 09:43   #4
jaytee
Jim

Thanks so far, I think Ill check out Koni damper prices, It is more of winding, hilly road problem than my driving style, I keep it as gentle as possible with the family on board.

Jim
Old May 25th, 2002, 20:01   #5
jaytee
Jim

UPDATE

I got in contact with Koni for their opinion, obviously they are a bit biased and want to sell their parts, however the e-mail reply from holland said that they were aware that the 850 was a bit of a >sicky< car and the standard suspension was a bit soft, even when new.
SO...... I have ordered a pair of rear dampers, it would be better to do the fronts as well of course, but I am told that the rears should reduce or probably alleviate the problem, due to the improved damping. I'll probably do the front struts later, funds permitting, as they ar a bit more expensive both to buy and of course harder/costlier to fit.

Jim
Old May 28th, 2002, 21:33   #6
Raymond

Jim,

Car sickness is a real bummer both for you and the child involved.

My eldest lad (now 10) got car sick when he was about 3 years old and it lasted for about a year. We cured it by putting him sitting on a few newspapers on the back seat. I don't know exactly why this worked; perhaps it was psychosomatic or maybe the newspaper reduced static or something. But it was an immediate and permenant solution to the problem.

Make sure the child sees the paper being put on the seat and tell them that it will cure them.

Worth a try and would be cheaper than replacing the shocks!!

Tell me how you get on.

Regards,

Ray:-)