Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gearbox oil

Views : 6048

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:41   #1
andylea 1

hi all,i am new to volvos and have recently bought a v70 t5 which has covered 80k and has full main dealer service history,however on checking through the service invoices i cannot find any reference to changing the gearbox oil [man. box] on checking with volvo they claim all that is required is to check level and the oil never needs replacing[yeh right!!] on enquiring spec of said oil all they would reveal is it is sythentic and about £20 a litre [also enquired about the price of a set of plugs, £50!!!! and i used to think bmw dealers were expensive!] the haynes "workshop manual" is not much better only giving a volvo spec number,so can any one kindly offer any further info?
Old Jun 8th, 2002, 10:37   #2
alexzoutsos

Just to clarify - you have a manual gearbox? Or is it automatic?
Old Jun 8th, 2002, 14:28   #3
andylea 1

sorry alex, should have specified it is a 5sp manual
Old Jun 8th, 2002, 14:36   #4
alexzoutsos

Well,

I'm not sure what the opinion is with the manual box, but basically with the auto boxes volvo say that the fluid doesn't need changing at all unless the car is used under particularly harsh conditions.

But the opinion is of transmission shops that it definately should be changed! and this seems to be the OPINION of most of the owners.

I changed mine at roughly 22k miles because my car is slightly modified and I noticed the fluid didn't smell quite as new, in my opinion it's cheap insurance.

If you do want it changed the spec of oil required should be listed in the Haynes manual for our cars, and you should definately be able to find it for a lot less than £20 a litre, something around £8 I would have imagined depending on what you get.

Sorry I can't be more specific with the manual transmission requirements but if you try www.volvospeed.com in the repairs section of the forum the moderator their is a volvo tech and will give you his honest opinion.
Old Jun 9th, 2002, 09:17   #5
markas
VOC Member

Default RE: gearbox oil

>sorry alex, should have specified it is a 5sp manual

Hi ya,

As alex already mentioned Volvo don't actually say you need to change the tranny fluid its a sealed for life policy. The main reason for this is you don't have the problem with contaminants as you do with your engine oil, with only degradation due to age and usage the only reason to flush.

I have a Manual also and have mine done at normally 50k intervals and as already mentioned if you visit the other site that I am a member of at this link it will all be explained. The two guys are Master Volvo Techs who run the site, so hope this all helps.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Repair/Transflush.htm

Mark.

markas is offline   Reply With Quote