Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

If money was no problem, what would you get?

Views : 1534

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 14th, 2018, 03:56   #11
canis
Non Fragile

I've thought about this a lot, mainly because working for stuff I want was an option that has been consistenly denied me by anybody who had a choice in the matter.`But does it have to be cars?

I'd like a yaught. I've always wanted to go sailing, and learn to sail. I reckon that'd be such fun. Could even enter races or something.

I'd like to restore a steam tractor/roller. Maybe a Fowler converted to a fairground engine and band organ to go with it. And a switchback. And a low-loader to drag them around with. All in matching burgundy livery with gold coachlining. And visit steam fairs around the country just for fun.

I'd have my own traditional amusement arcade, with some classic pin-tables and video games. Except in mine, all the bulbs would work, and the flippers wouldn't be weak. With an upright Rock-Ola 444 jukebox in the corner. And a pool table. I'd have a Bally Fathom, Williams Black Knight 2000, Bally Embryon, Bally Elektra, Pac-Man, Galaxian, and whatever else I could get my hands on.

And a Rolls-Royce. A 1973 Silver Shadow MkII. In my imagination it's always white, but this could be because they're always wedding cars nowardays. White is a bit obvious, maybe red instead.

A Rover P4, of some kind. Dont 'know too much about these, so it'd be interesting to learn about them.

I'd track down a Leak Delta 70 amplifier, to replace the one that got burgled a number of years ago. I don't have much, but I like what I have, and always put quality over quantity. When I found it gone I was distraught. I really miss it.

Erotic art and sculpture. I have a thing for erotic art. I think I'd enjoy the conflict between sleeze and aesthetic.

I'd like a 1970's Cadillac Sedan-de-ville, d'elegance. Brown. I know they're silly, but ostentatiary has a beauty of it's own.

I love cats. I'd like to keep big cats. I'd like to help save big cat species from extinction.

I like parties. In fact, I love partying. Maybe build a really cool nightclub.

Oh, I dunno. All these things feel like expensive fripperies to me. I think, if I had the money to indulge this way, I'd probably try to build something more permanent. Such as a business, which looks after it's employees by housing them and providing essential services for living (washing, cooking, etc) as part of their employment deal. I'd want to know they're capable of working having had all their requirements met. In my imagination, it's a garage (but that's because the motor trade is all I know) but with people living above it. This means it's never unattented, and my tennants/employees could look after the place. They'd have job security, and personal security all rolled into one. Communal living and working, for the benefit of everybody involved. Including me. A bit like Mr. J Cadbury did, but with more religeous freedom.

But these are all just pipe dreams. In reality I live my life being metaphorically kicked in the teeth by the rich who'd love to kick me literally if only they had the guts. I'll continue scratching a living out of scavaging suburbia like society's bottom feeder. I know my station.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to canis For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 07:56   #12
Dippydog
Premier Member

Dream garage[in no particular order]:Silver Ghost,Bentley "blower",Deusenberg SJ,'59 Cadillac.Trans Am[smokey and the bandit shape]Humber Super Snipe/Imperial,Silver Cloud III,Camargue,Jaguar 420G.
If it had to be just one car then it would without hesitation be the Silver Cloud III.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 08:21   #13
domhart10
Volvo S40

I would have a tank

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 11:29   #14
ThomasG
Aka MadBabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
I would have a tank
A P2 V70XC AT for me then
How many was there made? 6?
And whatever it'd cost, I'd put twice that out to someone who would make it run as it deserves.
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 12:07   #15
Grimble
Grimble

An Aston Martin Vanquish.

No car has had a better name.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 13:01   #16
reggit
Premier Member

Honda NR750
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 13:28   #17
Delta66

Money no problem Volvo;

the 262c, one just like the above, which I was regularly a passenger in when I was a teenager. Loved it.
Delta66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Delta66 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 14:38   #18
sixaparrat
Ex-Muckshifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60041 View Post
It would have to be a Mk1 Mini Cooper S with a Downton engine; the best handling car ever built.
I would also treat myself to a Vincent Black Lightening.
2 vehicles that could have easily been bought for a couple of hundred pounds each back in the early ‘70s, now likely to cost £120,000+ for the pair.
I disagree about the handling, Metro 6R4 has that honour.
I'd like one, plus a Rover P5b coupe with modern running gear and engine.
The Following User Says Thank You to sixaparrat For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 17:29   #19
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Pipe dreams for motor nutts

I would like a Willeys Jeep, I came across a huge yard full of WW2 equipment,loads of vehicles,British American and German, they had loads of jeeps,parked horizontally along the back of artic.trailers.This was in the early 80's I wonder if some of them are still there?, a few miles south south east of Lyon. I am sure it must be well known in the area.
A Winnibago would be next on the list,I know they are not sutable for tearing around in,I am not in a hurry!
And next,but not least,a Luverly Workshop/Garage,with all mod cons,lathes,pillar drills,press,hoist,pit etc. etc. and a cos'y office/small galley type kitchen.with some nice comfy chairs,contemplating for the use of!

p.s I would also build myself a Triumph t21 unit construction lump, housed in a Greeves. Saw one once,Beautiful,looked as if they were made for each other
p.p.s and a Scott Flying Squirrel.

Regards to all you fellow dreamers,Keith.
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 17:45   #20
ksmi
Master Member

Cool Transport for trip to Le Mans

A Blower Bentley( or racing camion, as the French call them),in British Racing Green,of course. used to see them Newhaven/Dieppe,their favoured route.Complete with leather flying helmets.
Can you imagine going to The 24hrs in one of those????!!!
I will have to get a lottery ticket,Regards,Keith.