Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air intake shut off valve/anti shudder valve

Views : 937

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 16th, 2017, 20:50   #1
Corribee

Default Air intake shut off valve/anti shudder valve

Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance for the explanation of what I need, I am a blonde female but will do my best. Plus I cannot seem to load a photo to make it easier, but I have tried and its that bit right at the bottom/middle of the ebay photo, the pipe with the jubilee clip on is the 2.5 inch dia pipe hahaha.

I have a V50 2.0 diesel 58 plate. At the front of the engine in the middle is a large pipe, about 2.5 inches in dia.

When the pipe is removed you can see a valve which kept getting stuck to the sides with muck, so I took the small pipe off from the thingy next to it and blocked it off with a screw.

It has been fine for some months but I am concerned that this will eventually cause more problems being disconnected and blanked off. I want to buy a new part, the bit with the value in it but do not know what it is called. The title of the post is just a guess.

Any ideas please
Corribee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 20:51   #2
Corribee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corribee View Post
Hi Guys,

Apologies in advance for the explanation of what I need, I am a blonde female but will do my best. Plus I cannot seem to load a photo to make it easier, but I have tried and its that bit right at the bottom/middle of the ebay photo, the pipe with the jubilee clip on is the 2.5 inch dia pipe hahaha.

I have a V50 2.0 diesel 58 plate. At the front of the engine in the middle is a large pipe, about 2.5 inches in dia.

When the pipe is removed you can see a valve which kept getting stuck to the sides with muck, so I took the small pipe off from the thingy next to it and blocked it off with a screw.

It has been fine for some months but I am concerned that this will eventually cause more problems being disconnected and blanked off. I want to buy a new part, the bit with the value in it but do not know what it is called. The title of the post is just a guess.

Any ideas please
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 21:23   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
It is called a throttle housing , the dealer has a modification they can do to prevent it seizing , It does not stick on the dirt , It sticks because the plastic housing goes oval . They file the edge of the flap to give a bit more clearance .
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 22:06   #4
Corribee

Thank you very much, will it cause any problems in the long run to keep it blanked off
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 22:22   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thank you very much, will it cause any problems in the long run to keep it blanked off
yes it will ,
It is a safety device , If the engine starts running on it's own oil in the sump it will go to maximum revs and destroy the engine . When you turn the ignition off the flap shuts and stops all air getting to the engine if this happens and stops the engine , An unlikely event but it is possible . also every time you turn off the engine it will shake the flywheel and clutch hard which won't do it any good long term . with the throttle working properly when you turn the engine off it stops softly ..
Old Oct 16th, 2017, 22:43   #6
Corribee

Ok thanks again, I will try and find the part
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 19:43   #7
Corribee

Still not got this fixed, but have a photo, it’s the metal part at end of large pipe with the flap in I need to know the name of, it’s in dispute lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 808E7638-1F4C-4A5F-BE02-C627B9EE9CBC.jpg (92.6 KB, 17 views)