Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc70 2000

Views : 1325

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 2nd, 2018, 13:44   #11
aland

There is more to it than that.
Consider it as an inverted 'U' shaped fuel tank (over the propshaft & exhaust) and the pump feeding the engine on one side.
In addition, there is plumbing and another pump to move fuel from one side of the tank to the other.
So you can have a scenario where the gauge shows fuel but actually there is not enough to start the engine, if the plumbing etc used to move fuel is blocked or that pump not working.

I'd suggest throwing in a few litres from a can and seeing if it then starts.
aland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aland For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2018, 17:55   #12
reggit
Premier Member

As above!

Or take the bolt out of the bottom of the fuel filter and see if a steady stream of fuel comes out. Have a suitable container under it to catch any fuel. (Assumes same filter set up as diesel version)
Old Jun 21st, 2018, 13:07   #13
totty1

Default Fuel Pump Relay Switch

Due to ill health have not been able to do anything with car. Someone suggested it might just be a fuse - - could that be possible?
totty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22nd, 2018, 23:12   #14
Tony427

If the car is parked on anything but level ground, and there's less than 1/3rd of a tank showing on the gauge the fuel pump will not have enough fliud "head" to successfully fill the fuel rail. Once the fuel pump sees the fuel tank is too low it switches itself off. The starter continues to turn but without any fuel pressure it will never start.

I had this problem with my S80 on my own drive at home a few times and thought that I had got rid of the problem when I purchased my XC70.

First time I left the XC70 on the drive at less than 1/3rd full.....Non starter.

I use the lawn mower supply out of the shed when this happens and refill the petrol can next time I fill up.

Throw a gallon of petrol into the tank. I bet it fires straight up.

Cheers,

Tony
Tony427 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony427 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 12:59   #15
totty1

We have progressed!! Had the AA out yesterday, checked all relays and fuses and they are all OK. Put two gallons of fuel in the car and still it didn't start - so - he is sure it's a fuel pump failure, So now all we have to do is locate the fuel pump. Apparently rear seat has to be taken out but when RH seat taken out, nothing found.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 20:45   #16
reggit
Premier Member

Pump access panel is behind the driverside rear seat backrest - the cable you need to disconnect to remove it is the seatbelt pre-tensioner so make sure the battery is disconnected or you trip the SRS warning.

There is another access panel under the passenger side rear seat base - this is a float unit, the 2 are connected together.

If you have access to vida, you can read off the sender levels. With a low tank, the passenger side should empty before the driverside.
Old Jul 10th, 2018, 13:39   #17
totty1

Thanks to everyone again for replies. Now going to tackle removing RH Seat to access fuel pump, certainly not as easy as passenger side.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 12:27   #18
totty1

Default Fuel Pump Problem

Located both fuel pumps and when I took the cap off the left hand side pump it was flooded with fuel, not diesel, on the top, but when I took the cap off to inspect right hand side pump, there was no sign of any leakage. Any suggestions as to the next steps will be most welcome.
Old Jul 16th, 2018, 17:29   #19
reggit
Premier Member

Which side of the tank had the most fuel in, driver or passenger? And what's the approx. fuel gauge reading?

As to fuel on top, do you mean on top of the access ring under the black cover? If so, that's the o-ring leaking.
Old Jul 17th, 2018, 12:42   #20
totty1

Default Fuel Pump Problem

Thanks for reply. Passenger side has more fuel and AA chap added two gallons and gauge reading over half full. No fuel on top of access ring, only when I loosened the o-ring did fuel come up and cover it, but when I tightened the o-ring it was OK. At this point I didn't know there were two fuel pumps, but on finding there was another on RH side I checked and that pump is absolutely bone dry.

Hope this helps.