Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Outer window rubber scrapers

Views : 1692

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 30th, 2018, 13:41   #11
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Don’t worry about the inner lip John the replacements are perfectly adequate- you will see what I mean once you have the metal trim removed (best not to try and alter)
The above have dimpled pressure points to hold the rubber in place so there is very little movement in the profile- It works well.
Regards Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 22:58   #12
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi John

I bought and fitted window scrapers from Brookhouse Volvo. Not sure that they are 100% identical to original, but are working for me - cheaper, supporting UK trader & UK postage costs...

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 02:58   #13
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

Hi Nick

I agree that it's important to support the companies supplying parts for old Volvos, we couldn't keep the cars on the road without them. One or the other of these gets my money when I need parts. But in this instance Brookhouse are selling these weatherstrips for £19 each - you'd be spending around £90 to get a full 4-door set plus postage - when it appears that practically the same rubber profile is available from other UK suppliers for a quarter of this price. It's a generic product used on a range of old vehicles. That high price would perhaps be fair if the rubber was identical to the original Volvo part, but it's not.

But first we need to confirm which one of these generic strips is suitable.

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 10:46   #14
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

John: ~ a suggestion.
If you are going to research these window parts then ask a potential supplier for a sample (Baines or other) I have a sample of the Brookhouse one that I will send to you-that way you can do a trial fit and we all benefit.
I would agree that the prices for these from some suppliers are vastly inflated so the money saved can go into the Volvo money box--- yours!
Let me know if you want the sample
Regards Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 5th, 2018, 14:33   #15
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle_Jim View Post
Thanks very much for this Bob.

Looking at those sites and others, this is one which looks reasonably close to the right size, but isn't flocked
https://www.coh-baines.co.uk/product...ist-strip.html

This one has a flocked edge on the window, and is stiffened - possibly this might be it

This one is flocked, but isn't stiffened.
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/produ...w-weatherstrip

Or there's this one, which is flocked, not stiffened, but is more expensive
https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...w-weatherstrip

Are any of these the same as the Brookhouse weatherstrips? Or can anybody find something else on the web which is better?

Thanks
John
woolies is who i use on both my b230f and b200f good stuff
timetrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2018, 23:42   #16
Jungle_Jim
VOC Member

The shootout....

Thanks to Bob Meadows for sending me a sample of the weatherstrip Brookhouse are selling, plus a section of an old original Volvo strip. Added to this, four separate online sellers sent me samples of their product which looked similar.

Conclusion: Brookhouse is selling a visually identical product to three other sellers. It's quite likely from the same manufacturer.

So that's
https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/produ...w-weatherstrip
£6 per metre sold in metre lengths, £11.70 postage.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/pr...w-weatherstrip
£6.50 per metre sold in metre lengths, £4.50 postage.

and
http://rubbertrim.co.uk (no link but ask for product no. 130 from the catalogue)
No price listed.

However, Baines is selling a different but likely compatible product to the others. It is a different mould - almost exactly the same in measurement to the others, apart from the lip which goes against the window is 1mm longer - but would still fold upwards against the window and probably work fine.
£4.85 per metre, £11 postage.

Conclusion?
None of these are identical to the original Volvo part, because that has an additional extrusion at the side which presumably helps guide the window as it reaches the top. But apparently it works fine without this, and anyway, no current seller has an identical profile to the original rubber.

Nobody is complaining about the fit of the Brookhouse product - so based on that - either of those top three would work fine because they are one and the same. The Baines product would be tempting to try because it seems slightly better quality.

In the next week I will take one of my door weatherstrip trims off, and see which is a better fit out of the Woolies/Brookhouse/etc strip vs the Baines one - and then actually order 4 metres of one! I'll post pictures...

Thanks
John
Jungle_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jungle_Jim For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 8th, 2018, 12:41   #17
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Good research John: ~ I would think quite a few members may owe you a drink!
Regards Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 9th, 2018, 14:05   #18
timetrip
Not a junior anymore

Default window scrapers

Just as a matter of interest i got mine from woolies and they work great....Plus for other MEMBERS,,,Now is a good time to clean inside the scrapers while we have the hot weather which makes them supple and easy to clean....Done Mine..!!
timetrip is offline   Reply With Quote