Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New problem maiden voyage

Views : 440

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 19th, 2018, 13:14   #1
dieselderv

Default New problem maiden voyage

So the new v70 d5 auto had its maiden drive with me..couple of problems popped up went round a tight roundabout and it cut out dash saying engine service required ,,the guy had mentioned this so wasn't too worried but did wonder what it could be ..just under half a tank of fuel by the way ..and also when going slowly it's like the brakes are pulsing like when you have a warped disc and your braking ,but this wasn't when I was braking it's all the time and the front passenger side wheel is roasting hot can't touch hot so could it be the brake binding or a dead disk ..is it a caliper off and grease the pins and piston jobbie ...also it's started squeaking when braking at low speeds..otherwise apart from a poor plastic passenger side mirror glass and no isofix brackets it's tip top
dieselderv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 14:10   #2
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

The brake thing definitely sounds like the caliper is binding, the squeak is probably either the pads being worn down to the metal (metallic screech/grinding) or possibly just glazed from the heat. The pulsing also would suggest that it's been this way a while and the disc is now warped.

I'd definitely advise a thorough inspection/renewal of the discs/pads/flexi hoses (when these fail internally they can act like a one way valve and cause the brake to bind on that wheel, loosening the bleed nipple then issues a squirt of brake fluid as it releases until next time you press the pedal).

Afraid I'm not sure on the cutting out but having only yesterday myself experienced a "false" empty (due to dodgy balancing pipework between left and right part of the tank) I'd suggest it's not likely fuel pickup since we had "no messages" and "75 miles to empty tank" when it happened. Best bet would be a VIDA session no doubt.

Did you get a good deal on it? I like the V70 but we couldn't pass up the S80 when we saw it!
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 16:43   #3
dieselderv

Hi thanks for the detailed reply ..I had the same on my last s60 except mine was 240 miles remaining when it ran out..lol it was a good deal the car is almost mint body and interior wise £860 needs a cambelt tho
Old Jul 19th, 2018, 21:38   #4
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Wow that's quite some range to be running dry at! That's not a bad deal at all, provided you can get the cutting out sorted. (contrary to my last reply, I have now read some posts which suggest the in-tank pump could cause this problem with warning message after all.) In that case VIDA showed a low rail pressure fault and low pressure sensor current at the moment the car stopped.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 13:31   #5
dieselderv

My s60 had a problem with revving past 2k I changed the low pressure pump the high pressure pump and the fuel rail so if it's any of them it's easy to do
Old Jul 20th, 2018, 13:32   #6
dieselderv

I'm not too worried about it yet did it once today when I went round a tight right hand corner with a bit of gusto ..but I don't usually do it so