Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Water in the hood well

Views : 843

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 23:31   #1
skippyfox
VOC Member

Default Water in the hood well

On a whim, bought a 03 plate C70 ragtop a couple of months ago. Not bad condition and runs very smooth. Today decided to give the old girl a clean and have a bit of a tinker with it. (on going project) When I popped the hood half way to get rid of some fallen foliage from the seams, the well that the hood stows into had a few inches of water in. Used a sponge to get most of it out and had a feel under the drive motors to see if there was a drain hole or similar. Felt what seemed to be a rubber/plastic disc with holes in it, presume to be the same as the ones at the rear of the roof well. are these a drain hole? And where do they drain to, is this a problem with the car that is an easy fix? Only paid £800 for the car, but to me it has a lot of potential, runs really well, no serious bodywork issues and the interior is in fairly good nick for it's age. Just in need of a bit of TLC. A nice car I'd like to keep looking good and on the road. Thanks in advance for any advice.
skippyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 09:43   #2
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Skippy fox.

I have the same problem.

I believe that you cannot remove those perforated disks from above and that you have to find the drain tube from below, possibly undoing the wheel well liner.

Then unblock decayed leaves etc either with a pressure jet or a wire or both.

If you or others try that, please let us know how you get on, because I want to do mine too.

Thanks
Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveSarre For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:41   #3
skippyfox
VOC Member

Thanks Steve. Will have a look in that direction when I get home this evening, and keep you posted.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 17:45   #4
ITSv40
VOC Member

The drain pipes from the front grilles under the motors go down in front of the rear wheel arch behind the liner. It may be possible to see the ends of the pipe if you can get underneath the car, but really needs the liner removing to see properly. I blasted mine with an airline and even with a low mileage car that has been garaged it was surprising how much rubbish came out.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 17:35   #5
skippyfox
VOC Member

Mission accomplished. managed to pop the grills out under drive motors and clear the gunge out of the rubber funnel. Then with a bit of fiddling about got a hose pipe with a bent piece of 15mm copper pipe into the drain pipe and let rip. The amount of sludge that appeared from under the wheel arch liner was unbelievable. regarding the grills at the rear of the hood well, I managed to get to the drain pipe by removing the side panels of the boot liner and give them a good flush through. Probably going to leave the grills off at the front for now and just keep an eye on things, now that I know of a potential problem.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 17:48   #6
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyfox View Post
Mission accomplished. managed to pop the grills out under drive motors and clear the gunge out of the rubber funnel. Then with a bit of fiddling about got a hose pipe with a bent piece of 15mm copper pipe into the drain pipe and let rip. The amount of sludge that appeared from under the wheel arch liner was unbelievable. regarding the grills at the rear of the hood well, I managed to get to the drain pipe by removing the side panels of the boot liner and give them a good flush through. Probably going to leave the grills off at the front for now and just keep an eye on things, now that I know of a potential problem.
Good that it is sorted

How did you 'pop' the grilles off? I cleared my pipes from underneath - being afraid to touch the grilles as I thought they probably held the rubber funnels in place and hence formed the seal.

The other place to look at is the front scuttle: the drain pipes get clogged very easily.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 13:41   #7
skippyfox
VOC Member

Managed to get a long flat blade screw driver under the lip of the grill, bit more luck than judgement but it did the trick. The rubber funnels seem to be firmly attached to the bodywork. And yes thanks already spent a frustrating half hour clearing the scuttle panel drain pipes, the joy of having Leylandi's up the side of the drive
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 2nd, 2019, 21:44   #8
SteveSarre
Premier Member

Hi Skippyfox,

OK good to know.

So do those grilles pop off if you use enough force? Did you work around it, or did it pop off all at once? Did they pop back on OK?

Are there are few catches around the edges, or does the whole circumference pop into a recess in the funnel?

If I can get mine off, I would probably want to use a Karcher jet wash to squirt into it. Does that sound reasonable to you?

Steve
V70 2.5 Turbo AWD Auto 1998 Green, V70 2.5 10V Auto BiFuel 1999 Red (scrapped) V70 20v Auto 1999 Green (scrapped)
SteveSarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4th, 2019, 01:04   #9
skippyfox
VOC Member

Hi SteveSarre

Yes with a little brute force I managed to pop the grills out intact without breaking them. Still working on how to get them back in though. At the moment I'm going to leave them out as most of the litter collects in the rubber funnel, and with the grills removed I can get my hand under the lift motors to clear it out. You might struggle to get a jet wash lance under the motors though. Regarding the drains at the rear of the hood well, her indoors came up with a good idea, fill the drain funnel with water and give it a good pump with a sink plunger. Works a treat, blasts the crud out of the drain pipes and then just give it a flush through with a hose pipe. The grills themselves have a slightly raised lip on them so I would think with a bit of persuasion the could be pressed back in, but for now I'm leaving them out just to make things easier for clearing the drains out. With them in place it's amazing how much crud gets through and ends up blocking the drain tube.
The Following User Says Thank You to skippyfox For This Useful Post: