Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cheesed off with XC90

Views : 3490

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 22nd, 2012, 11:12   #11
GMad
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundIJones View Post
If it's the same component that breaks then it's a fault with that component design, not the car in general.
Sort of, but if a component keeps playing up and said component was specified by the manufacturer, then to my mind if the vehicle is not working as it should, this can be perceived as unreliability!
Other comments about modern cars I would agree with however. The build quality and as such quality of components used is indeed largely down to the accountants and their desire to keep costs down and margins up
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 15:14   #12
BustersDad

I have to add . . . that the three cars previous to the XC90 were a Mercedes C Class estate covering 36k miles fault free. A Subaru Legacy 2.5 Tourer which I had two years until someone decided to remodel it for me, covering 20k miles, and in those two years, it never saw the dealership except for servicing, prior to that was a Honda Civic Type S, also covering 20k miles, which I also owned for two years from new, and again nothing went wrong with that. My point is, are Volvo a high end manufacturer like Mercedes or BMW and produce quality, reliable products. "Reliable" being the key word there.
BustersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 16:14   #13
EdmundIJones

I hate to say it but wasn't Volvo owned by Ford when the XC90 was designed?
Effectively the XC90 is a combination of older Volvo bits and Ford components. Like the Jaguar X-Type, mostly ford Mondeo components and unfortunately not the best ones.

In the same way a Jeep Grand Cherokee from the early 2000's is a Mercedes/Chrysler hybrid.

In short, although I've owned 2 Volvo's I don't think it's in the same league as it's German rivals.
EdmundIJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 16:22   #14
GJB
Premier Member

Puchased by Ford 4th Feb 1999 Sold to Chinese 28th March 2010
GJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23rd, 2012, 16:40   #15
EdmundIJones

My point exactly production started about 3 years after Ford took over.
EdmundIJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 19:49   #16
n1ckxc90
A bloody Volvo at my age

I too am an ex-Audi driver and tbh am not as happy as I have been with past cars. My 07 lacks in a lot of areas compared to it's german rivals...BUT what would you call a rival ??

Q7, X5....both vastly more expensive like for like and whilst they carry more equipment and spec they are costly to repair and service, the XC90 has just cost me £400 for a full service, all the filters, drain the intercooler and included a replacement for the swirl actuator thingy- that showed some very coked up parts....runs lovely now and I am gaining faith....but it's no Audi and as such I am beginning to accept that....in fairness I had an A8 and it is head and shoulders above most cars...
Old Dec 25th, 2012, 22:54   #17
uncle997

Hi
Just traded in my 2011 exce for a audi a6 avant.
I have had 3 xc90's and they have all had there own separate issues which were eventually sorted out under warranty after a load of grief.
The Xc is a fabulous practical car but I felt I needed to change because I was worried about the future value of the brand and the running cost's I E poor fuel consumption.

I collected the new car yesterday and I wish I had changed to audi ages ago because the whole thing feels a step up to the volvo and the sales staff made you feel valued..
uncle997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 10:03   #18
ianu
Premier Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmundIJones View Post
I hate to say it but wasn't Volvo owned by Ford when the XC90 was designed?
Effectively the XC90 is a combination of older Volvo bits and Ford components. Like the Jaguar X-Type, mostly ford Mondeo components and unfortunately not the best ones.

In the same way a Jeep Grand Cherokee from the early 2000's is a Mercedes/Chrysler hybrid.

In short, although I've owned 2 Volvo's I don't think it's in the same league as it's German rivals.
I think the original XC90 was pre Ford and already on the production blocks when it was first conceived. I think the first generation of the new S40/V50 picked up the Ford influence from the Focus line up and they kept the 'premium' models seperate (v70 upwards)
ianu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 10:46   #19
dr90

Most purchasing departments in car companies get quotes and buy from the lowest cost bidder !!

What's a tad worrying is that aircraft makers use the same way to choose suppliers - have a good holiday flight!!!
dr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2012, 12:05   #20
craig2770
XC90 Exec

I've run 2 Lexus IS's one a petrol the other a diesel from new, while at the same time having a VW TOURAN and Audi A4 from new and believe me the Lexus brand is miles better than the German's who live on their past reputation in my mind.Example in hand is the A4 has just had a new clutch at 15,000 miles and in truth if the dealer had excepted it should have been done 7,000 miles earlier.I now run a XC90 which I agree lacks some quality but from what I've seen is the car I want my young family in if we have a crash! My point is it's not all about the quality of plastic the dashboards made of.
craig2770 is offline   Reply With Quote