Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

xc90 coolant loss

Views : 6697

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 3rd, 2016, 16:44   #11
Rooster
Speed freak

Believe its shown with crankcase breather pipes,

Can only buy the whole pipe that runs over engine from memory and there a complete pain in the arse to change
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 20:46   #12
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Got the part off today and its basically been rubbing on the engine and worn a channel through the aluminium pipe and perforated causing the coolant leak. The mechanic replaced it with a piece of copper brake pipe and made sure it was no longer at risk of rubbing. Looks like a design fault, no doubt of Ford design..... pics below (first pic shows the wear and hole btw) Anyone know what part number this piece is as I couldn't see it on the schematics from earlier.

Have a concern regarding copper pipe possibly reacting with coolant or galvanic corrosion twixt aluminium rad and copper tube and would have preferred stainless steel or aluminium tubing, any thoughts on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvopipe1.jpg (76.6 KB, 271 views)
File Type: jpg volvopipe2.jpg (75.2 KB, 252 views)

Last edited by bobdabuilda; Dec 5th, 2016 at 21:10. Reason: info
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bobdabuilda For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 5th, 2016, 21:08   #13
Desperate

A lot of car radiators used to be made of copper, and I think a lot still are, there's a lot of copper plumbing about our houses too, copper seems to last a lot longer than most other materials as far as I know.

Desp
Desperate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Desperate For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2017, 14:13   #14
Just Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
Got the part off today and its basically been rubbing on the engine and worn a channel through the aluminium pipe and perforated causing the coolant leak. The mechanic replaced it with a piece of copper brake pipe and made sure it was no longer at risk of rubbing. Looks like a design fault, no doubt of Ford design..... pics below (first pic shows the wear and hole btw) Anyone know what part number this piece is as I couldn't see it on the schematics from earlier.

Have a concern regarding copper pipe possibly reacting with coolant or galvanic corrosion twixt aluminium rad and copper tube and would have preferred stainless steel or aluminium tubing, any thoughts on this?
Just had this part fail on my car. Coolant dumped somewhere on the motorway!

It's not on any of those diagrams because it's listed under the heading 'Crankcase Ventilation'. Also you can only get it along with the rubber pipe! Retail is £59.

Part No. 3075713

Last edited by Just Drive; May 6th, 2017 at 15:43.
Just Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2017, 23:32   #15
Ade2015

My one of these has just gone in the same place. Started losing a small amount of coolant over the last week and stripped it down to try and locate today.
I saw this thread when doing a bit of research and didn't believe the metal pipe in question was part of the coolant system; partly because of it being listed on Vida as crankcase ventilation, but I also couldn't see how it connected to the coolant system. So I wasted a fair bit of today looking elsewhere before checking this - annoying!
I guess the metal pipe over the top of the engine must be in 2 sections - is the hot coolant used in this pipe to keep crankcase oil in vapour form till it hits the swirl pot at the front of the engine?
It could be one for anyone else with a D5244T4 to look out for as mine is also a 2007, so similar age.
I've rounded off the shoulder of the rebate where this part sits on the turbo inlet pipe, so hopefully the replacement won't wear in the same way.
Oh - I think the part number above was missing a digit - probably is 30757132 for the replacement.
Ade2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ade2015 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 15:18   #16
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile Coolant leaking from Crankcase vent pipe

Hi Ade,

I too recently got the coolant low message on the dash, and found coolant leaking underneath the car on my S60 (D5 euro 4) 2006..

Managed to find the source of the leak which was a small pipe (apprx 15mm dia) which runs from near the large rad top hos connection on the engine block to the right (see pic attached). Also couldn't understand why what's shown as the crancase vent pipe should have coolant in it .. so im thinking your theory that the coolant is used to heat the inside of the larger OD metal pipe (20mm dia) that carries the crank venting could make sense, im guessing the far end where the U piece is that wore away on yours is how coolant returns to the block via the small piping.

Anyway would be interested to hear from anyone who might know if this is correct.. Also the round topped component, is this the crank vent / filter or something like? and does it need any maintenance?

First pic is the start of the pipe run near the top rad hose
2nd pic is where its leaking, and the round ? thing
3rd pic shows the larger pipe that runs over the top of the engine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smallhose1.JPG (386.7 KB, 223 views)
File Type: jpg split_pipe.JPG (383.0 KB, 218 views)
File Type: jpg topview_engine.jpg (144.4 KB, 198 views)
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 21:53   #17
cornerwaysuk
Cornerwaysuk

Default Coolant leak 2005 2.5T AWD

Hi I have a similar issue with mine, loses about 500mls every 3 weeks or so, never really bothered me but having seen this post and had a similar issue on a Nissan I use to own I shall now investigate.
Is the coolant system on the D5 the same as the 2.5T? Regards Eric
cornerwaysuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2022, 07:21   #18
Wayde

Default XC90 D5 Coolant Leak

I had this same problem, I am in South Africa so feel that the little bit of heat that it provides to the crankcase breather is unnecessary. I simply removed the U shape pipe, the picture in post #12, and the short pipe onto the plastic Y fitting and bridged the pipe going from the engine to the Y fitting. Over a year and no issues and I have driven hard and over 10000km with mostly long distance trips. Just a quick fix that could help while you source the part. Mine is permanent though. As a note, this might not work as well in colder climates as that is what the part was designed for.

Last edited by Wayde; Sep 6th, 2022 at 07:24.
Wayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 15:25   #19
paulthechosenone

The same part has failed on my car although mine is a pin hole, not easy to find but helped enormously by this thread. Also, not easy to get to.

Last edited by paulthechosenone; Sep 14th, 2022 at 18:02.
paulthechosenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2022, 08:17   #20
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile post a pic

Hi paul,

post a pic of where your leak is..did you get it fixed?
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote