Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Advice needed Please - Volvo UK

Views : 3807

Replies : 38

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 10th, 2007, 22:03   #31
Volitiveflyer
"Vauxhell Driver"

Post More Rights Buying a Toaster

I am afraid at the risk of repeating myself, (in a previous post similar subject) you have more rights buying a toaster in UK law than you do buying a car. - I am not a legal expert & strongly advise you seek independent legal advice. Off the top of my head, to echo some of the comments you ain't got much of a leg to stand on.

If you buy a car from a motor dealer you enter into a legally binding contract governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 and the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002). When you buy from a motor trader you have the right to expect the car to be:

- of satisfactory quality
- fit for its purpose, including any special purpose made known to the seller
- as described

If you have bought a car from a trader which turns out to be faulty or which you think has been misdescribed, you need to take action straight away.
The Sale of Goods Act 1979 and the Consumer Credit Act 1974 say that if you can show the goods to be faulty or misdescribed, you have "for a short time after purchase" a right to reject the goods and get a refund of the purchase price.

Now given the fact that you purchased the car in 2005 & it is now 2007, the law (purely my own point of view) would I imagine be on the side of your dealer & not you because of the length of time involved. Even if you were to bring about a case in the small claims court, I feel sure you would lose because of the above.

I had a thought that if you bought your car on finance, you may have had redress by filing a claim against the finance company & claiming the cost back from them, but the law states that the vehicle has to be over £100 up to a maximum of £30,000. - So that is out.

I hate to say this because I am very much sympathetic to your cause, but put it down to experience. - You could try a long shot in respect that you try writing to the Managing Director of Volvo Cars UK Ltd. (Top of my head - Mr. Gerry Keaney Volvo Car UK Limited, Globe Park, Marlow,Buckinghamshire SL7 1YQ - 01628 477 977 (Switchboard) 01628 476 173 (fax)

Best of Luck - Fi
Old Sep 10th, 2007, 23:27   #32
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Try running the front pressures at the upper range of the tolerance ...
Thanks Clan, I did indeed run my tyres at the minimum recommended pressure in those days. Now I max them on my XC90.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 09:37   #33
sfiente

Hi,

I did as you said and put it down to experience. It will be the first and last Volvo I buy. I spoke initially with Volvo UK who agreed that no compensation would be offered.

I could write letters all day, but it wont get me very far. I wrote about 12 emails in total to Volvo UK and the finally I wrote a letter to Toll Bar Volvo, but received the same response.

It's a shame as we was looking to buy another XC90 at the end of the year.
sfiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 10:06   #34
Volitiveflyer
"Vauxhell Driver"

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfiente View Post
Hi,

I did as you said and put it down to experience. It will be the first and last Volvo I buy. I spoke initially with Volvo UK who agreed that no compensation would be offered.

I could write letters all day, but it wont get me very far. I wrote about 12 emails in total to Volvo UK and the finally I wrote a letter to Toll Bar Volvo, but received the same response.

Bear in mind, it isn't just Volvo, it applies to all car makers. It is time this Government overhauled the Sale of Goods Act for Cars, as clearly the consumer has very little protection in this area. With domestic household goods there is more protection & in some cases it is possible to argue within a 6yr time frame but regretfully same does not apply to cars. Like I said you have more rights buying a toaster than a car.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 11:49   #35
sfiente

I take on board the fact that it's all car manufacturers, however all dealerships do work differently.

I personally think the dealership could have come to a suitable agreemnt with me over this, which would have prevented involvement of Volvo UK. It was the dreadful responses I received from Volvo UK that put me off, they did not take in to account my claim. They just kept saying 24,000 miles on the original tyres is very good.

If I was in the dealerships shoes, knowing just how much the customer spent on the car I would have said well I'l offer you a discount on your next service or something similar. That way they get my custom again and benefit financially from me (for the service), however instead they turn there back.

It's daft as I also own an Audi! I called my local Audi dealership as my cambelt was due to be replaced, they quoted me £150.00 more than a new Audi dealer was offering on Ebay, ableit 60 miles away. I was offered £100.00off if I went with my local dealer, he didnt even check that I was telling the truth. The fact is there are leways for the garage to offer a discount! I bought my motorcycle from Honda Coventry, who also offered me 15% off the clothing range and 20% off the servicing cost for life. Why dont all dealerships try to retain business like this?

My friend had an issue with his local Saab garage, he spoke with Saab Uk and they instanly offered assistance. It's just good to know that there is some support, instead Volvo just have a bunch of idiots working in there Customer Relations.

I am sure if I had taken my car to a well know caring Volvo dealership, I would have been offered something, customer retention can be as profitable as the original sale!
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 13:26   #36
Volitiveflyer
"Vauxhell Driver"

Quote:
I take on board the fact that it's all car manufacturers, however all dealerships do work differently.

I personally think the dealership could have come to a suitable agreemnt with me over this, which would have prevented involvement of Volvo UK. It was the dreadful responses I received from Volvo UK that put me off, they did not take in to account my claim. They just kept saying 24,000 miles on the original tyres is very good.

If I was in the dealerships shoes, knowing just how much the customer spent on the car I would have said well I'l offer you a discount on your next service or something similar. That way they get my custom again and benefit financially from me (for the service), however instead they turn there back.

It's daft as I also own an Audi! I called my local Audi dealership as my cambelt was due to be replaced, they quoted me £150.00 more than a new Audi dealer was offering on Ebay, ableit 60 miles away. I was offered £100.00off if I went with my local dealer, he didnt even check that I was telling the truth. The fact is there are leways for the garage to offer a discount! I bought my motorcycle from Honda Coventry, who also offered me 15% off the clothing range and 20% off the servicing cost for life. Why dont all dealerships try to retain business like this?

My friend had an issue with his local Saab garage, he spoke with Saab Uk and they instanly offered assistance. It's just good to know that there is some support, instead Volvo just have a bunch of idiots working in there Customer Relations.

I am sure if I had taken my car to a well know caring Volvo dealership, I would have been offered something, customer retention can be as profitable as the original sale!
The problem is that very few car makers own their dealer network as it were as most of them are independent franchises. Hence the huge differences in in the style of customer management & handling. I am surprised at Corporate Volvo's stance as it wouldn't have done any harm for them to "bend a little" & offer a small gesture of goodwill.

The Bridgestones on my 2000 Nissan Almera only lasted for 13,000 before being completely shot & the leasing company had the cheek to whinge that I had dared to wear them out so soon, despite paying an exorbitant monthly amount for the pleasure of their car. Needless to say I never leased another Nissan.
Old Sep 11th, 2007, 22:25   #37
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry sfiente but I don't see why you expect Volvo to compensate you. It was the dealer who didn't check your car when asked to identify a fault, and your contract is with him. His is with Volvo and youreself, so all your efforts should be directed towards the dealer. Take him to the Small Claims Court and find yourself a decent Main Dealer to spend your cash with.
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 13:00   #38
sfiente

Hi Roy,

The argument is that the dealership does not check the vehicles 4 wheel alignment as this is not part of the PDA inspection which Volvo Uk insist is done before each New Volvo is sold.

I guess the argument is the fact that I returned the car with a fault which they were unable to diagnose, so yes in that respect it it would be down to the dealership.

I need some factual evidence to prove that the cars 4 wheel alignment caused the car to drift. I am looking in to reports of this at the moment.

Thanks
Scott
Old Sep 25th, 2007, 18:01   #39
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Hi Roy,

The argument is that the dealership does not check the vehicles 4 wheel alignment as this is not part of the PDA inspection which Volvo Uk insist is done before each New Volvo is sold.

I guess the argument is the fact that I returned the car with a fault which they were unable to diagnose, so yes in that respect it it would be down to the dealership.

I need some factual evidence to prove that the cars 4 wheel alignment caused the car to drift. I am looking in to reports of this at the moment.

Thanks
Scott
In the Small Claims Court the Dealer would need to prove it wasn't the wheel alignment that was the cause of the problem.....ohh they didn't check it did they. Given that incorrect wheel alignment would cause the problem you asked them to cure and they didn't check it I would expect it to be a matter of how much were suitable damages.

Good luck.
Roy