Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Centre Speaker - should it work?

Views : 3525

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 14:05   #1
bakerman

Default Centre Speaker - should it work?

Hi all

Recent graduate to Volvo XC90 (been dying to come back to Volvo since had to get rid of the C70 5 years ago!)
I have just purchased a 2003 SE diesel........

My audio says "High Performance Audio" when switched on, it has a centre speaker on the dashboard... and no sound comes from this speaker no matter what i try.... The audio menus have no mention of dolby/surround etc when going through them - only the usual treble, bass, balance and Front and Rear Equalizor settings..... I have the 6 CD changer in the head unit and rear headphone sockets..

My Questions are: should the centre speaker work? how do I get it to work? or is it just a blanking grille with no speaker underneath? (haven't worked out/daren't try to pull it out yet)

Any help greatfully received. I think this car is great - but the centre speaker winks at me everytime I get in - goading me in fact. (its always the little things!)

Further - been loitering around here for a few months and a big thank you to all contributing members. You educated me very well in what to look for when buying used - a great help thank you.....My only unanswered question is do I have 4wheel drive!! only time will tell? At nearly 40mpg quite regularly I am assuming 2?

regards
Kevin
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 18:27   #2
Lzygo
xc90

Hmmm I am no expert (I have a 2009 xc90 and that has no sound out of there either) my guess is that it's a blanking plate as I think the Garmin Sat Nav unit volvo supply (at a ridiculas cost) sits on it and I assume wires in through it.
Lzygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 18:45   #3
Ron_XC90
Master Member

There is no centre speaker with the high performance pack, it's only a cover.
You only have a centre speaker with the pro-logic system which is an optional extra on the SE spec
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 19:33   #4
4wheeldriver
Master Member

Ive the high performance in my se and the grills there but thats also where the satnav pops out of. My S60 had the Dolby and it had a speaker in there with the sat nav.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 08:33   #5
bakerman

Thanks for your responses gentlemen.
I will just have to put up with it goading me for ever more and think of what could of been...
Still - its still a lovely sound, even without it......
Till next time...
Kevin
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:05   #6
coco123

hello Kevin
i am sorry i can't send message to u
because i am a new member
now i attached a web,then you can send me email
http://www.xcaraudio.com/Shop/HDGPS/201002/22.html
coco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 14:39   #7
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

My 09 SE LUX has a speaker under the dash grille, and it works .... no extra badges and as far as I'm aware its the bog std XC90 system, I didnt ask or pay/order any upgrade when purchasing the car .... its says premier sound on the dash display when you switch it on.

TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 15:18   #8
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Hi all

Recent graduate to Volvo XC90 (been dying to come back to Volvo since had to get rid of the C70 5 years ago!)
I have just purchased a 2003 SE diesel........

My audio says "High Performance Audio" when switched on, it has a centre speaker on the dashboard... and no sound comes from this speaker no matter what i try.... The audio menus have no mention of dolby/surround etc when going through them - only the usual treble, bass, balance and Front and Rear Equalizor settings..... I have the 6 CD changer in the head unit and rear headphone sockets..

My Questions are: should the centre speaker work? how do I get it to work? or is it just a blanking grille with no speaker underneath? (haven't worked out/daren't try to pull it out yet)

Any help greatfully received. I think this car is great - but the centre speaker winks at me everytime I get in - goading me in fact. (its always the little things!)

Further - been loitering around here for a few months and a big thank you to all contributing members. You educated me very well in what to look for when buying used - a great help thank you.....My only unanswered question is do I have 4wheel drive!! only time will tell? At nearly 40mpg quite regularly I am assuming 2?

regards
Kevin
Only cars with the premium sound system have the central speaker and even those with it (like the exec) do not have the central speaker if fitted with the ill designed volvo sat nav...
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 15:49   #9
coco123

http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/was-p...5.html?page=24
hope this can help
coco123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 16:28   #10
reggie59

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco123 View Post
Wo?
Ich kan nicht information uber Grill finden

hope this is sort of correct, my German is a bit rusted.
Seruously, what are we suppose to find?
reggie59 is offline   Reply With Quote