Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF Removal

Views : 1206

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 15th, 2015, 18:55   #1
kenny
Master Member

Default DPF Removal

Without starting any debate over legality or insurance issues.
Has anyone had a Shark remap and DPF removal done on a 185hp D5 geartronic.
If so what is your mpg now and what's the power increase like?
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 13:06   #2
muzammil84
I've Been Banned

I've done my 2.4 D about 5 mths ago. It's 175 hp and 430 Nm from factory. DPF removal and chip done by Quantum tuning. According to them gains are: hp around 205, torque around 500 Nm. I haven't dynoed it but difference is big(especially in torque). My mpg is 35(80% urban, 20% highway) and driving fast, don't really care about fuel saving, engine gives so much fun now so i rather enjoy that than save extra £5 per week on fuel.
muzammil84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 13:29   #3
tt82
Forum Support Team

What about health issues? For once I actually agree with the EU on this law, as some of the emissions that diesels put out are actually quite nasty and can cause harm to people, especially children!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 14:06   #4
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder

Isn't it an automatic MoT failure without a DPF fitted?
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 14:46   #5
westie1981

Not 100% sure on the MOT failure but you are likely to fail based on emissions as the DPF is designed to remove the additional particulates.
westie1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 14:48   #6
westie1981

I stand corrected.

It is an automatic MOT failure if you remove it and it was original equipment.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...iculate-filter

However not alot stopping you putting it inline for the MOT and removing it for the rest of the year, as the MOT is a spot check and doesn't ensure vehicle suitability for road use outside of that test period.

With this said, you would be committing an offence under the Road vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations (Regulation 61a(3)) which could lead to a £1000 fine.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1.../contents/made

All very interesting as I am looking to buy a diesel with one fitted.

Last edited by westie1981; Mar 1st, 2015 at 14:54.
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 14:52   #7
tt82
Forum Support Team

I think the OP knows that, hence he said he didn't want to get involved in illegal or insurance issues!

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 15:47   #8
Steamdrivenandy

Location: on the edge of North Staffs, south of Crewe, looking out over Cheshire in awe and wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
I think the OP knows that, hence he said he didn't want to get involved in illegal or insurance issues!
Absolutely, but in a responsible open forum it's as well to point out such legal issues in case the OP doesn't realise and/or others might not realise and be tempted to copy the OP and then complain about the forum if they get nicked.
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 15:58   #9
westie1981

Just to point out that I didn't just cite the rules and regulations (sorry if this wasn't clear) I pointed out options along with potential obligations and outcomes if you choose not to carry out those obligations.

I would like to point out that whilst there are legal and social obligations the MOT is a point in time test and does mean you can do what ever the hell you like outside of this, however this is completely at your own risk.

I have in my past stretched the laws a tad and I have put the car right for its MOT then removed the requirement. Whilst this gave me a MOT certificate what it didn't do is stop the police handing me a sodding great big fine.

Last edited by westie1981; Mar 1st, 2015 at 16:03.
Old Mar 1st, 2015, 16:10   #10
JRL
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
What about health issues? For once I actually agree with the EU on this law, as some of the emissions that diesels put out are actually quite nasty and can cause harm to people, especially children!
Fully agree...although a DPF is only any good when it works! I'm considering having mine removed as I have the rising oil problem and absolutely terrible fuel consumption.

Had to get the oil changed and fault codes cleared a couple of weeks ago at a cost of £150. My mechanic says it is only a matter of time until it happens again.

Buying a new DPF is quite simply uneconomical on an 7 year old car with 117000 miles.