Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Disarming Alarm using ignition key

Views : 952

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 19th, 2019, 23:00   #1
adder

Default Disarming Alarm using ignition key

Hi, After losing the only key and remote control, I called out the RAC to get me and the car home. It's taken a week to order the parts in and it will be another week untill volvo can fit the parts needed to use remote control..
As one of the parts is the ignition key, I thought I'd be able to disarm alarm and start it up. So using ignition key I opened the doors okay even though hazard lights came on but alarm didn't sound. Which I put down to a slightly flat battery as after turning the key in the ignition the dash board lights lit up but engine wouldn't turn over.
So i charged battery over night, but as soon as I connected it back up to the car the alarm activated. So as I had done on other occations, using ignition key I unlocked the doors and trid starting the engine. Which usually disarms the alarm and starts the car. But not this time.
I got dash board lights up but engine didn't turn over and alarm continued.
Could this be due to the bonnet being open or because I disconected the battery whilst alarm was armed ?
Or do I have to be patient and wait for volvo to fit what is needed to use remote control ?
Any suggestions will be helpful, thanks in advance Adder
Old Sep 19th, 2019, 23:59   #2
Cookeh
Premier Member

Seems like you triggered the immobiliser - happens frequently in your scenario. Either reset that with the remote fob, or pull fuses to reset it (there are certain ones in a certain order, that I can't remember, but I know are on this site somwhere).
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 11:08   #3
ASt85
Premier Member

If you lock and the unlock the door 5 times using the key it should disarm the armed immobiliser - the key in the ignition then disarms the reset immobiliser.

If that technique fails disconnect the battery 20 minutes after you have removed the key from the ignition - cross connected the positive and negative cables to ensure everything is dumped from the memory.

Put the key in the ignition lock and turn to position II - reconnect the battery. The key must be in the ignition lock so it is identified by the immobiliser ring at the reconnection of the battery, it also prevents a voltage spike firing airbags.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Sep 20th, 2019 at 11:12.
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 12:55   #4
adder

Thanks guys, gonna wade through threads to try n find 'Cookeh's' first then i'll try 'ASt85's' second suggestion as alarm is triggered as soon as I connect the battery.... which is a bit weird as the alarm wasn't triggered when it was delivered on tow truck. I'll let you know what happens
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 15:45   #5
ASt85
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adder View Post
Thanks guys, gonna wade through threads to try n find 'Cookeh's' first then i'll try 'ASt85's' second suggestion as alarm is triggered as soon as I connect the battery.... which is a bit weird as the alarm wasn't triggered when it was delivered on tow truck. I'll let you know what happens
Connecting the battery triggers the alarm on my 2004 C70 and the 2001 2.4 V70 unless the key is in the ignition at position II - it is the voltage spike on connection which can trigger the alarm depending upon the charge in the battery.

If you only have the one key to hand, take it out of the ignition, the alarm should continue to sound; whilst the alarm is sounding lock and then unlock the drivers door using the key and the alarm should stop.

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Sep 20th, 2019 at 15:48.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 16:29   #6
Baffler
Premier Member

Also note the chip in the new key will need to be programmed to the ECU in order for the immobiliser module to recognise it which will then allow you to start the engine.

As far as I can remember both key and RC fob programming are dealer only options on the S/V/C70.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 17:33   #7
ASt85
Premier Member

The cheapest way out of a C70 Mk1 lost fob is to buy a second hand central locking receiver unit with fobs from a breaker - the fobs are programmed to the central locking unit and can be switched from car to car without a problem. It is always worth trying Minty or Classic Swede via the forum they are always very helpful.

As Baffler says programming of keys is a dealer option and expensive.

However, a good car locksmith will be able to both cut a new key and programme the correct chip - some Timpson's branches have both the right code reader and chip programmer depending upon whether or not they got the units from a company that was bought out by Timpson a few years ago.....unfortunately there is no way of telling which branches have the right kit until they've read an existing key - cloning that chip means it will definitely work as the new key is read and identified as an existing key by the system.

Last edited by ASt85; Sep 20th, 2019 at 17:38.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 18:36   #8
adder

The RAC has covered me for lost keys & fob, going to garage on Thursday. Locksmith wont go near it I just want to use it a few times then I'll take it to garage. Otherwise it will mean another tow truck.
I just tried unlocking n locking 5 times but no change.although battery wasn't connected.
Then I waited 20 minutes, put key to 11 and I could hear a high pitched tone, which I took to be promising. But alas no luck.
I'll give ASt85's idea a go but I'm wondering if this will work as when I've locked the using the fob and then unlocked the door usually sets the alarm off but then again when I start the engine, that stops the alarm.
I also had a good hunt through this forum and goggle but I couldn't find anything for my model of car about removing fuses to solve this.

It's the immobaliser that is prventing me from starting the engine, which stops the alarm.

Last edited by adder; Sep 20th, 2019 at 18:40. Reason: after thought :)
adder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 21:59   #9
pff

If you lost the only key then the assumption is that the new key is just cut but not programmed to the car? So then the immobiliser wont recognize it, and so it the alarm controller wont get a signal to a) stop the alarm sounding or b) ground the starter relay.
Old Sep 20th, 2019, 23:50   #10
adder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pff View Post
If you lost the only key then the assumption is that the new key is just cut but not programmed to the car? So then the immobiliser wont recognize it, and so it the alarm controller wont get a signal to a) stop the alarm sounding or b) ground the starter relay.
So are you saying that I just have to be patient ?

Tags
alarm, c70, disarm