Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amazon conversion to Electric

Views : 6934

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 14th, 2020, 16:22   #1
whitep

Default Amazon conversion to Electric

Would anyone be interested in my doing a topic about converting a 1964 Volvo Amazon conversion to Electric?
whitep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to whitep For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 17:04   #2
amazon69
Premier Member

Yes sir
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 17:10   #3
c1800
Master Member

There was a project thread on this a while ago. The poster hasn't been on for 3 years though.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=241477
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 19:05   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

White;

Welcome to this forum.

I'm personally not interested in any electric car (no SUs, or their wonderful sucking noises!), but everyone here, including myself, is interested in just about anything Volvo Amazon, so present away!

Cheers from Connecticut!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 21:25   #5
Bracpan

Yes very interested, I was going to put an Tesla electric motor in my race car but the cost was so high I could have built 2 to 3 normal Turbo engines.
Cant wait to see how you get on, what power and distance are you looking for ?
Bracpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15th, 2020, 09:25   #6
whitep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracpan View Post
Yes very interested, I was going to put an Tesla electric motor in my race car but the cost was so high I could have built 2 to 3 normal Turbo engines.
Cant wait to see how you get on, what power and distance are you looking for ?
I personally am simply looking for something equivalent to my Renault Zoe. It is 89hp and does about 100 miles depending on season. In summer its more in winter its less.

On one of the EV forums lots of people seem to think because I am converting I should be slicing and dicing the car. Putting 200kg of batteries and 300hp motors. Losing the back seat etc. Or taking a smashed Nissan Leaf and putting it in the Amazon.

THAT IS NOT MY AIM!

I want to take an almost stock classic car. Restore her. Keep her as original as possible, but with an electric motor. The 1.8 engine was about 86hp, so the gearbox and running gear can stay. I hope to hide 3 battery cells in the back and 2 in the front. A 75hp(ish) motor on the gearbox. All the other electronics in the front. This should keep the corner weight similar to stock. Perhaps a little heavier.

I don't want to effectively take a pre existing car and put the Amazon body on it. Its lots of work and I might as well buy and drive a pre existing car. I want it to be different. A daily commuter. And simple.

Granted I will add mod cons. Maybe a LCD dash because the stock one will have lots of unused bits in the electric car. Also a stereo, Aux port, USB ports etc. Maybe proximity sensors, I dont know yet.
whitep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 01:25   #7
csm22

As much as I bought my Amazon to reconnect with ancient tech, I recognize the argument for prolonging their relevant lifespan... as well as improving performance.

This looks like a viable solution: https://apple.news/AX10XYjB-Qg2Hejbyi_k-zg
csm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 05:47   #8
Army
marches on his stomach

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
Ummm, can agree with that, there's def some "classics" as could use 400 hp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csm22 View Post
As much as I bought my Amazon to reconnect with ancient tech, I recognize the argument for prolonging their relevant lifespan... as well as improving performance.

At the moment at least having the battery capacity to produce such large amounts of power at the wheels for a reasonable (or even usable) length of time would mean a lot of battery space and weight.

I don't think that would be suitable for a classic. I'm thinking much more like the Wheeler Dealers Maserati conversion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0JbbRFuMhw

The OP was talking about a Zoe equivalent set up and trying to find a solution that wouldn't be as expensive as the Land Rover conversion mentioned earlier in the thread.

At the moment the cost of a decent engine rebuild is about 3K (be it USD EUR or GBP despite the descrepancies in currencies) - that's the kind of money I'd be looking to spend on batteries. Until the prices reach that level I'm not a player especially as you'll probably have to replace them every 6 or 7 years...
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7th, 2020, 17:44   #9
Bracpan

Quote:

Wow that is interesting... imagine that in an Amazon
I would be happy with half the power of the car on the Ramp.
I hope more motor like this become available in the future.
Its the batteries that are the problem at the moment, price and life expectancy, once they improve I think things will move on very quick..
if you watch all the film Dave Kindig show off a Corvette ! I went to his workshop a few years ago...the standard of his builds are stunning...each car was perfect i could not find even one tiny fault in any of the cars we saw...
Old Nov 17th, 2021, 11:09   #10
Bracpan

Quote:
I agree if someone made smaller / lighter version of that say 100 to 150bhp in the UK then I think many classic car owners would consider it.
Especially if no cutting of the original car was needed.
Also sell it all in kit form with a different amount of batteries for a given distance. These can be placed over the motor and in place of the fuel tank.
An Amazon (or many other classics ) with say 150 bhp and 100 miles range or even a 100bhp and 150+ mile range would be of interest to many if the price of fuel keeps rising and this E10 rubbish or worse arrives.
As the price of batteries drops i think its a viable option for the future
But always keep the old ICE engine for the car stowed away so keeping the original car complete if you ever sell it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bracpan For This Useful Post: