Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New 142

Views : 124357

Replies : 262

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 30th, 2020, 11:30   #61
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Machining the back of the stub stack to fit the filter housing.

https://youtu.be/eE7nDW-MIgQ
Old Sep 6th, 2020, 19:59   #62
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Modified a SU6 stub stack for the Stromberg and added a K&N filter. Also made a new bottom bush for the rear shock.
Been doing a bit of driving and it felt a bit down on acceleration so I got my other spare air filter housing and put in my old air filter and did a couple of comparison runs. Well it definitely is down on acceleration and maybe as much as 10mph along the road up from our cottage. I’ve been doing some reading and there are two possible reasons that I can think of. One website I found used a program to do some modelling of SUs with and without stub stacks and what they deduced was the height of the piston isn’t purely down to pressure difference through the carb but there is also a low pressure at the entrance of the carb due to the sharp change in direction which contributes to lifting of the carb. When you add a stub stack that low pressure is no longer there so even with increased air flow through the carb it still doesn’t lift the piston as much as standard.

I think there are two possible reasons that I can think of why the power is down, as described above or the increased air flow is resulting in a leaner mixture. I don’t have my wide band sensor setup so I don’t know exactly what is happening. At the moment I am not going to mess about with changing needles but if the low pressure scenario is correct then changing over the piston spring to a lighter spring may be a fix and I’m going to give it a try. If it doesn’t make things better then I will run the standard filter for now.
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 19:23   #63
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I haven’t done much with the aesthetics of the car as yet but gave her a a clean and a wax today as I have some Amazons visiting this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5935BBA6-DDD8-4B8F-AEE2-E8F4A9F33788.jpg (164.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg AB73EAC5-9692-42E8-8D2C-BA867EB824F8.jpg (248.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 7028996E-919B-489F-BEEF-74ABC208985C.jpg (176.7 KB, 11 views)
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 20:22   #64
142 Guy
Master Member

Looks nice. A polish and wax is good for at least a 5 hp increase. If that is original paint it appears to be in remarkable condition.

Your front grill and headlight surrounds look to be in good condition (same as on my '71 142 E). That soft aluminum usually takes a beating. I spent a lot of time beating dents out, filing and polishing mine to get it looking reasonable.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 13th, 2020, 20:31   #65
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 142 Guy View Post
Looks nice. A polish and wax is good for at least a 5 hp increase. If that is original paint it appears to be in remarkable condition.

Your front grill and headlight surrounds look to be in good condition (same as on my '71 142 E). That soft aluminum usually takes a beating. I spent a lot of time beating dents out, filing and polishing mine to get it looking reasonable.
Above the side trim is original apart from the wings. The paint needs a bit of tlc so a job for winter. It’s far from perfect the paint and there’s a few wee dents etc but nothing to stress about at the moment. I have a very good used front bumper and grill to fit and new side trim and mirrors. Jobs for winter when she is back in the workshop.
Old Sep 14th, 2020, 01:47   #66
142 Guy
Master Member

From 5 m your paint looks pretty good. Lucky you to have a spare grill.

About 2 yrs after smoothing and polishing my grill and surrounds I got caught in a bad hailstorm. After hammering out the dents a second time, filing and polishing I actually filed right through the soft aluminum in a couple or spots. I filled the small holes with epoxy mixed with aluminum filings and polished down so it doesn't look too bad. I did go looking for a replacement grill; but, de Luxe and Grand Luxe grills in reasonable condition seem to be exceedingly rare on this side of the Atlantic.
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 12:10   #67
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Got the new ATS alloys so now to decide what size tyres; 185 65 or 195 65?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C19F34CD-D2D6-4EE5-A503-2108B430542E.jpg (140.0 KB, 12 views)
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 16:00   #68
Derek UK
VOC Member

Or 205/60? The 185/65 is smaller in diameter that the 165/80 so not a good idea. You have more than enough width to go wide with these rims. Are they 5, 5.5 or 6?
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 17:05   #69
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
Or 205/60? The 185/65 is smaller in diameter that the 165/80 so not a good idea. You have more than enough width to go wide with these rims. Are they 5, 5.5 or 6?
Yeah the 185/70 would be close but not a common size. 5.5” is the rim width. I might also get the Amazon cars 1” lower springs to go with the wheels. I have 205s on the Amazon and look great but didn’t know about that wide with the ATS rims and the 142 which has a bit more conservative style I think. Any idea what would of been a wide tyre back in the 70s for the 140s. It’s mainly for looks, what suits the rims and the car to be honest.
Old Jan 21st, 2021, 18:14   #70
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burdekin View Post
Yeah the 185/70 would be close but not a common size. 5.5” is the rim width. I might also get the Amazon cars 1” lower springs to go with the wheels. I have 205s on the Amazon and look great but didn’t know about that wide with the ATS rims and the 142 which has a bit more conservative style I think. Any idea what would of been a wide tyre back in the 70s for the 140s. It’s mainly for looks, what suits the rims and the car to be honest.
The photos that I posted of my car are with 185/65 Michelins on the ATS rims with the Amazon Cars progressive road springs. Something to consider is that as you increase the section width steering resistance increases so take that into consideration if you have to do any significant low speed maneuvering, particularly if you have or plan to fit a smaller steering wheel.

In the mid '70s 185/70 was the common 'wide tire' fitted on to 140s. That may have been in part due to the fact that 185/70 was a very common tire size in the '70s (good selection) and that the profile height was very close (-2%) to the original 165/80 so the overall final drive ratios didn't change significantly. But, I think the only tires available in the 185/70 size are from Vredstein ($) and Pirelli ($$$).

Derek raises a point about tire height. This can be a consideration depending on what final drive ratio you are using. With a 4.1 differential ratio the 185/65 tire will give you a overall final drive ratio that is about the same as the original 165/80 tire with a 4.27 differential. With OD that should be quite acceptable at highway speeds. If you already have a 4.27 differential, then fitting is going to result in higher engine speeds. If you have a lot of hills / low speed driving then you may like that change in overall drive ratio. If you don't have OD / do a lot of high speed driving you may not like the increase in noise.

As you note the ATS rims are a 5.5" rim width so the 'common' application guides say that the maximum recommended tire width is 195 mm and the ideal tire width is 175mm - 185 mm. Some tire manufactures list 5.5" rims as acceptable for their 205 mm section width tires; but, when you do that both the tires contact patch and height changes and performance may change.

Last edited by 142 Guy; Jan 21st, 2021 at 18:22.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post: