Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

02 V70 petrol leak

Views : 1622

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 26th, 2020, 15:25   #1
Mudhook

Default 02 V70 petrol leak

My 2002 petrol V70 works perfectly, but when I fill the tank to the top it stinks of petrol for a few miles.

Last couple of fill ups I have seen maybe 1 litre of fuel on floor under the car near the rear axle.

It's obviously something like the air outlet pipe as it only leaks on absolutely full.

Despite the leak, fuel consumption is still as good as ever. Or nearly so.

Dropping the tank seems like a very expensive job and beyond my abilities (like, no ramp).

Access to the inspection hatches in the car also look like major surgery with the seats out.

Obvs, one answer is not to fill it up to the top. But I like to do that to keep an eye on consumption.

Online images of the fuel system show unbelivable complexity with fuel lines all over the top of the tank. Few of these are accessible from the inspection (pump removal) hatches.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions?
Mudhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 16:02   #2
JoeNinety

The first few posts here:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...ht=fuel+filler

may help:

fuel filler seal / fuel filler pipe / main tank seal / loose spark plug
Have VIDA & VXDIAG NANO on W10Pro - happy to help
JoeNinety is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 17:06   #3
BarryCambs

Next time you fill it up, check to see if there's a drip under it. There is a short pipe between the filler pipe and tank which can split, but for some reason only seems to leak while you are actually on the forecourt.

It's a nightmare to change!
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 17:20   #4
Mudhook

Yes, it drips – only at the last few litres. There's maybe half a litre under the car by the time I've put the filler cap back on.

But it's definitely not a contiuous leak; only just at the end of filling up.

Underneath, it seems to come from the alloy bracket that's part of the rear suspension, just in front of the spare wheel bucket.

Thanks both for the feedback.
Old Sep 26th, 2020, 21:35   #5
BarryCambs

If you can get under it, see if you can check this pipe which sits right on the inlet to the tank. I see they have sold 370 which kind of tells a story :-( Ended up having to drop the sub frame a few inches to get to it, but I think someone here managed to do it by taking the rear arch liner out??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-V...EAAOSwv0tVJ87T
BarryCambs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27th, 2020, 19:44   #6
oragex
Premier Member

Does it smell inside as well ? The pump on plastic tanks (looks black) have cover that cracks under the rear seat right side
Old Sep 28th, 2020, 23:36   #7
Randomnumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudhook View Post
Yes, it drips – only at the last few litres. There's maybe half a litre under the car by the time I've put the filler cap back on.

But it's definitely not a contiuous leak; only just at the end of filling up.

Underneath, it seems to come from the alloy bracket that's part of the rear suspension, just in front of the spare wheel bucket.

Thanks both for the feedback.
That's how mine started. Slight smell of petrol when brimming the tank, then a few small drips, until I could only really put 10 litres in the tank each time as I was dumping close to a litre on the forecourt.

As Barry mentioned, it's more than likely the rubber filler elbow (Part No. 9141423 - £10 on eBay) has split. It will get worse over time.

You'll be able to see it if you remove the rear drivers side wheel, and then the arch liner. Fill the tank from a jerry can and hopefully you'll see it leaking.

There is no access to reach it for a temporary repair, it's stuffed up in the metalwork of the subframe. As Barry also mentioned, it's a bugger to change.

Took myself and two friends a good few hours. Had to drop the fuel tank and exhaust by about 12 inches, disconnect the filler pipe and feed it out through the subframe/wheelarch, replace the elbow and feed back in.

Rear seats need to come out to get to the fuel pump access panel, disconnect the fuel pump/sender cabling to allow the tank to drop and to reach in to tighten up the jubilee clips once the pipe was in the correct orientation.

I would say it's impossible to do it on your own.
Randomnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 16:37   #8
skill

I agree with the elbow deterioration, mine was exactly the same.
It's a nightmare to change, I have a pit in my garage but one look at it and was going to the garage.
As said, part is on about £10 and I paid £60 for the garage to do it, money well spent.
Even the mechanic said it was a nightmare.
As said again if you take the wheel off, then the plastic arch protection, then slowly pour fuel in you'll see the leak.
skill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29th, 2020, 18:27   #9
oragex
Premier Member

Which year were the cars affected ?
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 09:31   #10
Mudhook

I'm getting exactly the symptoms described. I'll do the 'wheel off, add some fuel' test. Then it's off to the garage. I'll let you know what the bill is.