Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering wheel wobble help

Views : 6578

Replies : 56

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2017, 15:40   #11
Petey80
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysn7x View Post
I think Technically he's right the wheels are wider than standards at 8.5j, I think most Volvo 18" are 8J, but the offset is smaller (I think) so the wheels stick further out in the arch. But I've seen a lot of people running 225s on the Volvos because they are cheaper to buy than the 215 recommended as stock.

Again I'm not sure how this effect him setting the geometry unless they have stock values based on certain tyre sizes etc.

Thanks for the link, I found somewhere close that does 4 wheel alignment on the hunter system but its Kwik fit :-( , which after some bad past experiences I think I may avoid lols, they said £49 including front adjustments, £25 for any adjustment after that, is that about the going rate?
Yeah, it's a bit more expensive when you get Hunter alignment. But they are more accurate as long as the person doing the job knows what they're doing and not just looking to make green colours across the board.

oooooh.... Kwik Fit....

"Tracking Sir? No problem. You also could do with pads and discs and those shocks seem to be leaking...."

Yeah if the offset is outside Volvo specs that could be an issue. I think Volvo is 49.5mm to 52mm. Could be wrong though.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 15:44   #12
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

I had the vibration under braking on the previous C70, new discs & pads sorted it at first, but it was back inside 5000 miles. Eventually 2 years later the MOT picked up on the control arm rear bushes. As soon as they were fixed it went away.

I'd get the bushes looked at first, have them really pry at them more than they would for MOT standard (which I'm told is a lot lower than a decent service standard). If they do need to be replaced, you'll need to get the front tracking realigned anyway.

For my money, the tracking is also the cause of the vibration at 75-80mph, I find that bad balance tends to be felt more like 60-65mph.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 15:52   #13
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

How bad is the vibration, btw? Just barely feel on steering wheel or really bad?
If thats any concellation, I still have SLIGHT vibrations when braking now, and thats after last month when I had new discs, pads, tyres and wheels straightened & refurbished. Also my control arms were replaced 20k miles ago so maybe it can never be "perfect"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 15:52   #14
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
I had the vibration under braking on the previous C70, new discs & pads sorted it at first, but it was back inside 5000 miles. Eventually 2 years later the MOT picked up on the control arm rear bushes. As soon as they were fixed it went away.

I'd get the bushes looked at first, have them really pry at them more than they would for MOT standard (which I'm told is a lot lower than a decent service standard). If they do need to be replaced, you'll need to get the front tracking realigned anyway.

For my money, the tracking is also the cause of the vibration at 75-80mph, I find that bad balance tends to be felt more like 60-65mph.
I think I may risk kwik fit with the hunter machine and get the tracking done there its a bit of a pain don't really want to pay 70-100 to get the 4 wheel alignment done if that's not the issue :-(
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 15:59   #15
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
How bad is the vibration, btw? Just barely feel on steering wheel or really bad?
If thats any concellation, I still have SLIGHT vibrations when braking now, and thats after last month when I had new discs, pads, tyres and wheels straightened & refurbished. Also my control arms were replaced 20k miles ago so maybe it can never be "perfect"
The driving vibration is not too bad, 70 is fine 75-80 is there and if you let go of the wheel you can see it vibrating/moving, about 80 vibration gone and below 70 is fine as well, under heavy braking for 70+ the vibration/wobble is bigger and more noticeable. Maybe it is a combination of the front wheel out of balance and the tracking or maybe just the tracking. I know when the rear were balance incorrectly the vibration though the whole car at anything about 60 was horrendous, but the 2nd garage said the rears were a mile out, like someone had guess where to put the weights.

Think I'll do the tracking as a first option, as the vibrations were there with the standard alloys (which David says are fine on his car) so maybe the tracking is the issue.
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scoobysn7x For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 16:01   #16
Petey80
Premier Member

Might be worth checking wheel bearings for any play.

Mine had bad wobble before I bought it and the garage re-balanced the wheels, did the tracking and MOT showed worn wheel bearing. When picked up, all had gone.

Thread V40 T2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...56#post2901756
Thread V50 D2 R-Design - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=264890 - CRASHED
Petey80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petey80 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 17:13   #17
dcw
VOC Member

Different car and different style control arm, I know, but thinking about it the sort of varying vibrations at different speed, worse when braking, were showing on my 480 before I changed the control arms as part of refreshing various bits of the suspension.

If it's there when not braking it can't be brakes, must be something braking is making worse. I agree with the ideas of going down the decent tracking route and checking the control arm bushes next.

David
1994 480 GT and 2007 V50 SE Sport
dcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 17:43   #18
poiuytre111

Surely better to fix the suspension and then do the alignment or you will need to do it twice.
poiuytre111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 18:10   #19
Rotorboy65

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Worn out bushings on lower control arms can cause this behaviour, apparently. After balancing and geometry check, do you still feel vibrations WITHOUT braking or just under braking?
Also, how did the garage confirm that "discs are fine" ? did they take them out and balance or just visual inspection? Even new discs can behave like "warped ones" if the pads imprint on them in one spot creating not visible but well-felt bump.
Just few thoughts.
I think this is the problem with the vibrations, my brother in law has just had the same problem on a BMW. He changed all brake discs and pads, had all 4 wheels balanced and still had the problem. The problem was put down to worn bushes and tracking. Once he had that done the car was running straight and true.

If money is no object I would replace all the discs and pads as well for peace of mind. Just done all 4 corners on mine recently over a bank holiday weekend. Nice DIY job if you are half decent with the spanners.

Good luck Buddy hope you get it sorted........Leigh.
Rotorboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rotorboy65 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2017, 19:39   #20
ksmi
Master Member

Exclamation wobbly wobbles

Ask yourself,
Do I Realy Want To Go To k***k f*t ???????? I think you will find the consensus of opinion on the Forum would be stay well away!!! they may have a Hunter, but it's no bl***y good if you don't how to!!!
It may cost more in time i.e distance to travel and possibly cost,but go to a....

Recomended operator and get "a proper job" done! They should be able to advise if your track control arms are in need of attention.

regards, keith.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksmi For This Useful Post: