Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2024846

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:07   #1801
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That should work nicely Alan, been trying to think of ways to improve/neaten that idea but can't think of anything.
I think this solution will evolve rather than be designed Dave, but I think that is entirely in keeping with the ethos of the RB. The purist way would be to remove the boot spoiler, weld up the mounting holes and re-paint back to original. That would get rid of the additional weight that has upset the balance of the gas struts, but would detract from the RB's history.

I like the boot spoiler (particularly now it is fitted properly), so developing a means of aiding the gas struts to re-balance the boot lid is the aim. The simple looped around bungee works, but is a little more Heath Robinson than it needs to be. Putting long D shackles each end will make it a bit tidier, so we are heading in the right direction. Once I have those fitted I'll start thinking about either a shorter but stiffer bungee that is tidier, or an adjustable rod linkage.

I like this idea of incremental improvements to optimise what is already there in the RB without spending too much - it is what the RB project is about.

Good fortune,

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Oct 1st, 2020 at 10:10. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:16   #1802
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Putting it that way Alan it makes a lot of sense.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 11:31   #1803
Othen
Premier Member

The D-shackles arrived with our lady postie today Dave, unfortunately the suppliers sent the wrong ones - standard length rather than long shackles (I've sent the company an email, we'll see).

I thought I'd see if I could do anything with the 'wrong' D-shackles anyway, and they worked out quite well. As you may see, the shackles were too short to use the convenient hole that Mr Volvo put there, so I drilled another 5mm hole closer to the edge:

... and another in the spare wheel strap bracket:

... got rid of that tatty spring I'd used previously and the bungee fitted like a glove:

... but with slightly more tension than previously, so control of the boot lid is now perfect in any position:

So, slightly more good fortune than judgement, but the result is neat and tidy, unobtrusive, should last years (maybe replace the bungee with another from Poundland every now and then) and control of the boot lid with its spoiler is restored for the first time in several decades I should think - and all for about £3.

Another solution entirely in keeping with the ethos of Project Royal Barge, my thanks to you for the idea Dave.

:-)

PS. I have today ordered some 12mm bungee cord that should be a bit stiffer than the one I have used. My plan is to make a continuous loop, so getting rid of the hooks at the end of the bungee for an even neater solution... watch this space :-)

Last edited by Othen; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 11:51. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 12:19   #1804
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
The D-shackles arrived with our lady postie today Dave, unfortunately the suppliers sent the wrong ones - standard length rather than long shackles (I've sent the company an email, we'll see).

I thought I'd see if I could do anything with the 'wrong' D-shackles anyway, and they worked out quite well. As you may see, the shackles were too short to use the convenient hole that Mr Volvo put there, so I drilled another 5mm hole closer to the edge:

... and another in the spare wheel strap bracket:

... got rid of that tatty spring I'd used previously and the bungee fitted like a glove:

... but with slightly more tension than previously, so control of the boot lid is now perfect in any position:

So, slightly more good fortune than judgement, but the result is neat and tidy, unobtrusive, should last years (maybe replace the bungee with another from Poundland every now and then) and control of the boot lid with its spoiler is restored for the first time in several decades I should think - and all for about £3.

Another solution entirely in keeping with the ethos of Project Royal Barge, my thanks to you for the idea Dave.

PS. I have today ordered some 12mm bungee cord that should be a bit stiffer than the one I have used. My plan is to make a continuous loop, so getting rid of the hooks at the end of the bungee for an even neater solution... watch this space :-)
I'm glad it all worked out in the end Alan! The 12mm bungee cord is a great idea but how do you plan on connecting the ends to make the loop? I'm sure there are various methods but the obvious one of tying them could end up looking scruffy.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 12:38   #1805
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm glad it all worked out in the end Alan! The 12mm bungee cord is a great idea but how do you plan on connecting the ends to make the loop? I'm sure there are various methods but the obvious one of tying them could end up looking scruffy.
I'm thinking of looping the two ends through each other, then securing the loops back on themselves with some zip ties, or failing that some wire or a crimp if I can find one that would fit. A crimp would probably be the neatest way to form a loop, but I can't think of anything about the right size (two 12mm diameter cords). Any ideas?

PS. Dave, these may be the answer, the last photo looks like exactly what I'm looking for. What do you think?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless...QAAOSw1ZBUtmfw

Last edited by Othen; Oct 2nd, 2020 at 12:41.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 14:07   #1806
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
PS. Dave, these may be the answer, the last photo looks like exactly what I'm looking for. ...

That is interesting. I hope I never need it but I have that "watched" in eBay now.

Re your spare wheel retaining strap. I do not have a 244 now. It must be a flat strap with end hooks that go into "slot" holes in the bodywork. Same principle as the estate. You must surely be able to obtain a strap and hooks from "anyone breaking a 244 240 saloon". The estate strap and hooks might or might not work just as well.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 15:42   #1807
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm thinking of looping the two ends through each other, then securing the loops back on themselves with some zip ties, or failing that some wire or a crimp if I can find one that would fit. A crimp would probably be the neatest way to form a loop, but I can't think of anything about the right size (two 12mm diameter cords). Any ideas?

PS. Dave, these may be the answer, the last photo looks like exactly what I'm looking for. What do you think?

Those hog rings should do the job Alan, especially if you apply them with the bungee in the stretched configuration. That way if they grip in the "worst case scenario" they will always grip when the bungee is more relaxed.
You may need to grow an extra pair of paws to do it that way but i'm sure you'll find a way!

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 15:47   #1808
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Those hog rings should do the job Alan, especially if you apply them with the bungee in the stretched configuration. That way if they grip in the "worst case scenario" they will always grip when the bungee is more relaxed.
You may need to grow an extra pair of paws to do it that way but i'm sure you'll find a way!
I think so Dave, they look perfect. I can probably prepare everything in a vice on the bench because I know exactly what size the bungee loop needs to be from the one I have now. You are right, the tricky part will be installing it in the car, but the mechanism doesn't need much pre-load when the boot is up at its highest extent, so I can probably loop a wire to make a handle whilst I get the second D-shackle attached. As you say: I'll find a way :-)
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 17:17   #1809
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I think so Dave, they look perfect. I can probably prepare everything in a vice on the bench because I know exactly what size the bungee loop needs to be from the one I have now. You are right, the tricky part will be installing it in the car, but the mechanism doesn't need much pre-load when the boot is up at its highest extent, so I can probably loop a wire to make a handle whilst I get the second D-shackle attached. As you say: I'll find a way :-)
I was referring to keeping the bungee stretched to the maximum while fitting the hog rings Alan, getting the finished loop into the car should be relatively easy as you can use a loop of wire through the slot to pull the bungee close in so you just need to line up the D-shackle and screw the pin into place tightly. Then remove the loop of wire and the strain will transfer to the bungee.

Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 17:43   #1810
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I was referring to keeping the bungee stretched to the maximum while fitting the hog rings Alan, getting the finished loop into the car should be relatively easy as you can use a loop of wire through the slot to pull the bungee close in so you just need to line up the D-shackle and screw the pin into place tightly. Then remove the loop of wire and the strain will transfer to the bungee.
Ah, yes I see your point.