Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 and limp mode (loss of Turbo)

Views : 1128

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2023, 10:05   #1
TonyGK

Default D5 and limp mode (loss of Turbo)

Hello all,

2006 V70 D5 186HP Diesel - Turbo loss and limp mode.

Well first I got the "Engine System Service Required" message. Then intermitently lost the turbo. The EGR has been replaced and so has the Turbo Boost control Valve (solenoid). We are going to give the inlet manifold a service and clean and replace/clean the injectors. Will replace the swirl valves also.

The strange thing is that when the turbo is lost and I stop and switch off the car and then fiddle with the cable to the Boost Control Valve, 9 times out of 10 I get the turbo back for a while. This could be a coincidence, I don't know. Has anyone ever had this problem? The TBC Valve gets very hot and I was wondering if the cables could have got brittle and broken inside, it would be great if it was as simple as that!! There is nothing wrong with the turbo itself.
TonyGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 10:09   #2
Lancee
Premier Member

Have you had the fault codes (properly) read ?
Lancee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 10:48   #3
TonyGK

Default 2.4D (2005 on) - D5 and limp mode (loss of Turbo)

Yes there were several, and that's why we changed the EGR and eventually the TBCV but we still have to do the decoke. Problem is that one fault makes another sometimes. One of the injectors is showing a fault but that should not affect the turbo, I think?

I just wondered if anyone had had a problem with the TBCV plug and connection?

Last edited by TonyGK; Aug 26th, 2023 at 10:51.
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyGK For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 13:59   #4
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGK View Post
Yes there were several, and that's why we changed the EGR and eventually the TBCV but we still have to do the decoke. Problem is that one fault makes another sometimes. One of the injectors is showing a fault but that should not affect the turbo, I think?

I just wondered if anyone had had a problem with the TBCV plug and connection?
That's potentially not good ? What sort of fault ? What code reader are you using ?

I believe there is a DPF on your car ? I also believe overfuelling or other can cause (possibly serious?) issues. Have you checked the status of the DPF, if you have one ? Might be worth a look.

A lot of tail chasing is possible if you are not careful. "Engine system service required" and limp mode can be something as simple (and common) as a leaking vacuum engine mount. Beware the Rabbit hole.

Last edited by Lancee; Aug 26th, 2023 at 14:07.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 14:19   #5
TonyGK

Thanks for that. The leaking engine mount seems interesting but would that cause an intermittent problem with the torbo boost?

It was a garage that used the diagnostics and fitted the EGR they then wiped the faults list. I never got a printout. I am not doing this myself just trying to find the most cost effective way out!

Sorry what's a DPF?

Last edited by TonyGK; Aug 26th, 2023 at 14:23.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 15:00   #6
Simmy
Premier Member

as a tempory measure blank the vac tubes to the mounts and see if it solves the problem.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 15:16   #7
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyGK View Post
Thanks for that. The leaking engine mount seems interesting but would that cause an intermittent problem with the torbo boost?

It was a garage that used the diagnostics and fitted the EGR they then wiped the faults list. I never got a printout. I am not doing this myself just trying to find the most cost effective way out!

Sorry what's a DPF?
Do a search on the internet would be quickest.

I may be leading you up a blind alley (down a rabbit hole) but intermittent turbo/"engine service required" CAN (in my experience) be caused when acceleration causes the engine to move on its (perhaps perished) mounts opening up a leak in the vacuum circuit (which also controls the turbo vanes). BUT BUT BUT this may apply only to earlier cars (163 bhp ?). Yours being a later 185 model it may have an electronically controlled turbo ? The Rabbit hole awaits !

IMHO Volvos Vida diagnostic is likely the best tool to diagnose your issue/s, however with you being in France (?) I suspect this could be a problem. If you want to keep the car, are in France, and want to stand a cat in hells chance of maintaining your Volvo without (perhaps randomly) throwing lots of money at it, relying on a third party for diagnostics and advice, try to get a version.

The easy way (for me) was "Vida 2 go" from Matt Leavesly to be found on this forum and facebook. A usb plug in solid state hard drive (with a DiCE unit) is all you need, just plug it into your laptop. Matt was very good with back up. I have no vested interest/s in Matt's products, but Vida 2 go, works for me. Might be called "Boot&go" now.

Last edited by Lancee; Aug 26th, 2023 at 15:26.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 15:18   #8
Lancee
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
as a tempory measure blank the vac tubes to the mounts and see if it solves the problem.
Simmy ! You previously recommended Matt to me, his "Vida to go" has been brilliant ! Thanks.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, that's me! But I think the op's car may have a later electronically controlled turbo ? I stand to be informed/corrected.

Last edited by Lancee; Aug 26th, 2023 at 15:22.
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 16:45   #9
TonyGK

By intermitent Turbo problem I mean it can work for a day then maybe stop the next and then after an hour and fiddling with the conection to the TBC Valve it can be OK again.

There are two vacuum tubes to the TBC Valve which should I block? Presumably it's one in one out but there is the T piece for the engine mounts I think further down the line?

I suppose if I disconnect the 12v supply to the TBC Valve then it should give me the limp mode symptom?
Old Aug 26th, 2023, 23:00   #10
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancee View Post
Simmy ! You previously recommended Matt to me, his "Vida to go" has been brilliant ! Thanks.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, that's me! But I think the op's car may have a later electronically controlled turbo ? I stand to be informed/corrected.
there are quite a few crossover cars dependant on when they were manufactured and registerd only a look under the bonnet or a scan with vida will let him know what he has. iv seen some late cars with e3 engines

Last edited by Simmy; Aug 26th, 2023 at 23:02.
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:

Tags
faulty plug?, limp mode, loss of turbo, t boost valve