Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Easy seat trim fix (when you know how!)

Views : 719

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 12th, 2017, 20:56   #1
v_forty

Default Easy seat trim fix (when you know how!)

If, like mine, your car is the main get-around for a young family, the interior might need a bit more tlc than usual. The material on the back of both my front seats had obviously come loose from the frame, and generally didn't look too good.

It's actually quite an easy fix, although perhaps not obvious at first - this is specifically about the original V40/S40 models, but I guess it'll be the same or very similar for other Volvos of that era.

The middle of the seat - at the top of the pocket - is held onto the frame with an elasticated strap inside, joined with a metal 'M' shaped clip (pictured). With enough wear and tear - large books in the seat-back pockets were the culprit on mine - the clip can come loose and the fabric droops, for want of a better word.

How to fix it:

At the bottom of the seat, the fabric from the front (ie where the driver sits) tucks under the frame and clips onto the fabric from the back (where the pocket is). I've drawn a quick diagram of this to try and show how it'll come apart. Sitting in the back of the car, start at one end and lever/pull the material from the front toward you so that the plastic clip slides out (blue part in my diagram). Once it's started the rest is easy - just slide your finger carefully along the plastic clip all the way to the other side.

Now the two pieces are separated you'll be able to reach inside the seat and re-affix the elastic to the seat frame. It's a bit of a fiddle, but quicker to do in situ than removing the seat of course.

Once done, slot the black plastic clip back together at one end then run your fingers along the joint to the other end - everything should now be back in place (It's much easier to put back together than it is to get apart!).

If mine comes away again I'll make a small modification to the shape of the 'M' clip, just turning a corner up on the right side so it holds on to the elastic better. The right side attaches to the elastic, the left side attaches to the seat frame - it slots into a little plastic clip.

Incidentally, if you're near Cambridgeshire and ever need any trim work done I'd recommend David at Trim Fix (www.trim-fix.co.uk) - he helped me out with the above and is a thoroughly decent guy.
v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to v_forty For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 21:30   #2
v_forty

The original images have disappeared, but here's one that will be useful - showing how the bottom of the seat cover comes apart to allow access to the inside.

v_forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 10:51   #3
fatixnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_forty View Post
The original images have disappeared, but here's one that will be useful - showing how the bottom of the seat cover comes apart to allow access to the inside.

hello, my friend, I would like you to help me with your volvo seat repair. Can you send me the image of the state of the repair after it was repaired. and how I did it diagram or any shortcut.

This information is important to me. I'm about to get into this business, I don't know where to start. I'd appreciate it.

thanks.
fatixnet is offline   Reply With Quote