Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Keeping the Volvo in shape while stored in garage

Views : 611

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 20:05   #1
V40addict

Default Keeping the Volvo in shape while stored in garage

I am thinking about putting a 2001 V40 in storage. Timing belt is good until 2021 I think but I have no use for it for the time being so it's in the garage. I would let the engine idle once or twice a month (remove the battery for the winter). I cleaned it thoroughly inside and out and it was washed with a Meguiar shampoo that has a wax in it. I sprayed WD 40 here and there on the undercarriage (exhaust mainly) as it has spots of rust.

What is the best way to keep the (beige) leather in prime condition on these Volvo ? I am sure there is a Volvo product but it may not be the best option and today it may be better suited to the leather currenty used.

Is there a way to protect and lenghten the lifespan of the engine belts ? It could stay in the garage for a couple of years.

What else would you do ?
Topping up the gas tank?
Glycerine on doors seals?

I know with bikes it's recommended to drain the oil and completely fill up with new. Injecting a few drops of oil via the spark plug holes too.

I think I could have an issue with mold on some interior trims as when I get into the car it inevitably produces mist on the windows (garage is not heated, airco is currently out of service , needs a diode). I saw some traces of mold on the seat belt .

Last edited by V40addict; Mar 12th, 2019 at 20:15.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 20:22   #2
Dippydog
Premier Member

If you can do so get in up on axle stands-or anything stable-so the tyres are clear of the floor to stop them "flat spotting".there are two schools of thought about occasionally starting the engine and letting it run up to temp.First is to do so as that helps keep things free and lubricated while the second is that in doing so the accumulation of acids etc in the engine oil causes more harm than good[others may know better but the choice then is ultimately yours].
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 21:54   #3
XCR
Master Member

Apart from during the summer, keep a small dehumidifier on in one corner and a panel heater set to low in another. Drop all windows too.
XCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 08:02   #4
wrinkles
VOC Member

I stored my 940 for 4 years charging the battery every 3 months and took it round the farm track every 6 months after that time took it for MOT and it passed no probs and put it back on the road the same week and did a 500 mile holiday in it and changed the oil and filter and coolant when I got home.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 12:43   #5
Watchnut

Over inflate the tyres so it reduces "flat spotting" them, I would also leave space front and rear of the car if you can so every month or so roll the car so a different part of the tyre is on the ground

leave the handbrake off otherwise it could stick on.

You could buy a "ctek" battery charger and leave it on charge permanently, so the battery will recondition, top up, then "trickle" charge as the alarm will discharge it over time, this will prevent a flat battery

Most cleaning protection products will look after every aspect of interior, wheels, etc....

You could buy a car cover as this will help protect from dust over time

Petrol does go "off", but I have found that even my lawn mower will start after 4/5 months of no use, so I don't know how valid that is

beware of "mice" finding a home in it.....my father had a rather expensive bill when they climbed into the engine engine bay of his mk 7 Golf, made a nest and chewed through the wiring causing a £1200 repair bill ! he then had some kind of thing fitted to put off rodents going near it again
Watchnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 13:44   #6
Welton
Premier Member

Trouble with running the engine is that condensation will collect in the exhaust and just sit there.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 07:00   #7
Discombobulated
Impressive Member

Regarding the petrol going off, I bought a Saxo 7 years ago, put £20 petrol in it on the way home and parked it on the drive. I start the car every few months and it still starts fine on the same petrol.
Discombobulated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 09:16   #8
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Make sure the battery is charged with an intelligent charger at least once every 3 months
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote