Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General > PV, 120, 1800 Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

5.5j wheels wanted

Views : 5703

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 1st, 2009, 21:09   #1
volvo121
volvo 121

Smile 5.5j wheels wanted

Hi i am looking for a set of 4, 5.5 inch wide wheels for the early amazon stud pattern will consider anything but orgainal steel prefered. Thanks alot, Alex.
volvo121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 12:36   #2
Quarterless
Master Member

I have two sets of estate steels available with the 4.5 PCD. Is that what you are after?
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 13:40   #3
222s
Amazoniste

Unfortunately estate wheels are 4.5J, not 5.5J

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 17:14   #4
Quarterless
Master Member

Oh ok. What model did 5.5J's come on? Do early amazons have a different PCD?
Quarterless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2009, 17:23   #5
222s
Amazoniste

Q - early Amazons had different styled wheels without the ventilation holes, and which took larger hubcaps. Not sure if the estate wheels in that pattern were wider though. Regarding the later, ventilated wheels, saloons were 4J, and estates (& iirc also 123GTs) are 4.5J. The PCD for all Amazons is 5x4.5".

The genuine Volvo 5.5J wheels are in high demand especially in Germany, due to them being a genuine Volvo optional extra, and thus not considered a modification by the TUV.

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 22:04   #6
loon

does anyone have a picture of them and what is the offset?
loon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 16:39   #7
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222s View Post
Q - early Amazons had different styled wheels without the ventilation holes, and which took larger hubcaps. Not sure if the estate wheels in that pattern were wider though. Regarding the later, ventilated wheels, saloons were 4J, and estates (& iirc also 123GTs) are 4.5J. The PCD for all Amazons is 5x4.5".

The genuine Volvo 5.5J wheels are in high demand especially in Germany, due to them being a genuine Volvo optional extra, and thus not considered a modification by the TUV.
The unoriginal 5.5" steel wheels are NOT approved by Volvo - they are specifically mentioned in a statement from Volvo - which is also why they are NOT TÜV approved. It's the most tuff Volvo myth to get rid off..

Volvo did NOT approve those 5.5" wheels because they widen the wheel-track to much and engineers at Volvo couldn't aprove it.
One can of course discuss if it really matters, many Amazon owners have driven with 5.5" for years with no problems at all - but fact is, that Volvo specifically mentioned these wheels and did NOT aprove them. (Which is why they are not approved in EU MOT's - that is, if the MOT guy knows this).

Amazon Sedans (ALL sedans - also the GT) where equipped with 4.0" wheels. 123GT's NEVER came with anything other than standard 4" wheels - another GT myth hard to get rid off..

Amazon Estate's and the 1800 series, with 4.5".

That accounts for both early (1956-64) and late (1965-70) type of wheel.
Amazon Estate's and 1800 do NOT share exact same wheel though, since the Estate's are of heavier grade (it's fairly easy to feel the difference in weight when compared).
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 18:40   #8
222s
Amazoniste

I stand corrected. However are you sure that the 5.5J wheels aren't TUV approved? Virtually every German Amazon that I have seen pics of seems to have wider steels, and is also on their 'H' plates, which denote that it is (supposedly...) unmodified. Or is this just a case of the TUV testers not knowing? Also, there appear to be quite a few 5.5J wheels out there which are not banded (or claimed not banded). What are their origins?

Estate & 1800 wheels are indeed not the same - according to an 1800 guru, the contour of the wheel rim sections are also slightly different, something to do with an extra ridge for holding wheel trim rings?

PS - how much are the chrome seat recliner brackets on your website?

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 00:02   #9
Alf ista
Premier Member

Interesting this. My car came with four wheels.....obviously... But I noticed that 2 of them had a band on the inside edge, the other 2 didnt. When I got a nice set of stainless wheel trims I noticed that they had a nice tight fit on the wheel with the band and tended to slip off the other two. Not a problem as the guy I bought the car off also gave me an extra set of four wheels with knobbly tyres, and he said they apparently did a rally in South America on some car....who knows, but a good story nonetheless. These four wheels all have the band and are labelled as 4.5". I thought these were standard saloon wheels, now it looks like I have a set of estate wheels. Is this right? They are very soon to get resprayed and a nice set of Vrdestein classic sprints put on. I plan to use this set from now on.

Here they are ready to go off to be sprayed:

Old Jun 9th, 2009, 00:45   #10
ClassicVolvoShop
Schrödinger's Cat Cph!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf ista View Post
... I noticed that 2 of them had a band on the inside edge, the other 2 didnt....
Well - later in production (I believe arround 1968) the standard steel wheels where altered a tiny bit - a safety feature - the band on the inside is exactly a safety thing - it helps a flat tire stay on the rim/wheel instead of rolling off.

Quote:
.... he said they apparently did a rally in South America on some car....who knows...
In historic rally nowadays, the 4.5" wagon/estate wheels are very sort after, because they are the 0.5" wider AND of much heavier quality ( = stronger and do not wobble as much). In historic rally the 5.5" unoriginal wheels are NOT allowed, but standard OEM wheels are - therefore. (That might be the origin of the rally history you got?)

Quote:
... These four wheels all have the band and are labelled as 4.5". I thought these were standard saloon wheels, now it looks like I have a set of estate wheels. Is this right?
If they are 4.5" - you have either estate or 1800 series wheels - partnumber (stamped on the outside of the hub/center of the wheel) is 670451 for the estate wheels - 668280 for the 1800 series wheels.