Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

IPD Turbo Performance Camshaft -700/900

Views : 3350

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 00:43   #21
cumbrianmale
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaz'in View Post

Just twigged you guy's are both in Lincoln, I'm often passing through.

J
They're house mates.

Previous Volvos
90 240 GL B230FB Auto
96 940 CD
13 V40 D2 R-design
89 745 GLE
98 V90 3.0 24v
98 945 Celebration Auto
96 965 SE Auto
86 744 GL
81 244 DL
cumbrianmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 00:48   #22
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

...but in the entirely platonic sense

He makes the food and I fix the cars. At least that's supposed to be the arrangement. In practice, he makes the food and I make a mess

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 00:53   #23
amaz'in

Hi Roger,

It's not the Fleabay car, but am guessing you may have followed the ever growing Sports thread?

I only spotted it for sale on line last night, phoned him at 8.30 this morning, 2 miles away!

My existing car takes a while to pick the back end up, but it does so eventually, need to pop a clutch in real soon so thought I would pick someting else up whilst it was off the road getting sorted, kind of takes the pressure off.

I had my eye firmly set on the Black Fleabay sports...until it shot up to £425.00 with a u/s engine and no MOT and Tax...

I would like to put nivo's on my 940 but I think they were around £600.00 from volvo!!! bugger that...and doubt if the German & Swedish would be correct ones for the sports??

They are still near £400.00 a pair! tempted to put Bilsteins etc on it? the Sport I bought today, has, I think got regular suspension on it...will see when I get it home, maybe tomorrow.

J
amaz'in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 00:56   #24
amaz'in

Hi Cumbrian,

House mates eh? I can picture it perfectly, engine stands in the Kitchen, and conrods in the dishwasher...and naked women posters..drawn and drooled over everywhere.

Say did you guys put my cam on a full wash or just a rinse cycle..and go easy on the salt..

J
The Following User Says Thank You to amaz'in For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:20   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I'm not going to comment on whether or not any engine parts have gone through the dishwasher...although it's my dishwasher, so I don't know why I'm so concerned

There was a B230FK on a stand in the kitchen/diner in the old house, but this one has a double garage, so things are a little more civilised! At one point I think we had two 5-pots, three B230s and a B14 out there Actually, all bar the 5-pots are still there!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:27   #26
jonah

Quote:
(1) The clutch has started to slip..only in reverse, and while reversing out of a couple of customers steep driveway's, but slipping none the less.

So whats the simplest upgrade route for this, or should I just put a standard new jobbie in and that's fine?
The 940 has the crappy dual mass flywheel doesn't it? Ask Dave about the nice shiny TTV flywheels with an 850R clutch...
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:44   #27
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Just a piece of advice from someone who has experience of a 740 fitted with a 4-puck 228mm sintered clutch disc in a "dished" flywheel - to get more torque handling out of the smaller clutch...go with a 240mm organic clutch, whether dual-mass based, or solid. The 4-puck sintered disc works right enough, but it'd be better suited to a race car than one driven daily, especially in town. It gets a bit bitey when hot.

I agree with Jonah that the TTV setup is probably the way to go, although a slightly heavier version might be nice for daily driven usage, especially if you do a lot of driving in traffic. Go too light on the flywheel, and it'll be a bit more prone to stalling. I notice this with my 164 with its light 'flat' flywheel. I don't know if they do different "weights" within the redblock fitment, but "light" rather than "superlight/race" might be better.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 09:25   #28
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Quote:
Hi Cumbrian,

House mates eh? I can picture it perfectly, engine stands in the Kitchen, and conrods in the dishwasher...and naked women posters..drawn and drooled over everywhere.

Say did you guys put my cam on a full wash or just a rinse cycle..and go easy on the salt..

J
It did get a clean up in the sink with some Jizer but the dishwasher was full. Sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
...but in the entirely platonic sense

He makes the food and I fix the cars. At least that's supposed to be the arrangement. In practice, he makes the food and I make a mess

cheers

James
At least we are agreed on something

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
Just a piece of advice from someone who has experience of a 740 fitted with a 4-puck 228mm sintered clutch disc in a "dished" flywheel - to get more torque handling out of the smaller clutch...go with a 240mm organic clutch, whether dual-mass based, or solid. The 4-puck sintered disc works right enough, but it'd be better suited to a race car than one driven daily, especially in town. It gets a bit bitey when hot.
A bit bitey!?! It likes to spin the back wheel a bit on gravel at idle when the clutch engages. Something to go with the large heavy flywheel and a hot clutch with no give. It does hold a stupid amount of torque/power though which was the purposed it was fitted with.

I am planning to pull it out this winter when I swap in another m90 so we'll see what state it is in and how the standard flywheel is coping.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:02   #29
amaz'in

Cam arrived a few mins ago,

Might go and put it under the better half's pillow, see if it turns her on the same way it does me....what do you reckon?

Say..Foggy & Raven, ahem whats that sticky stuff on it? oh my god you, you didnt get that excited when packing it, it's Lol

Jonah, thanks for your advice on the clutch, I have been waiting for someone to pick that part of my post up.

Slightly confused with the options you are talking about, have heard something about the Tdi clutch? my mechanic Brother in Law told me to be careful in case it's a lot heavier...it's my daily driver, but if I do it I would like to do it right.

Any advice greatly received.

J
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:32   #30
1stRaven
Forum Support Team

Cant remember. It got a clean up to get the oil of but I may have missed a bit unless the bubble leaked over it. Glad it got there in one piece - I wasn't sure if I put enough protective wrapping in the box