Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1800S Bumper Juggling

Views : 969

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2018, 13:43   #1
Waddii

Default P1800S Bumper Juggling

Hi All, I am probably going to risk the wrath of the purists on the forum but I would like to know how feasible it is to change the straight bumpers on my P1800S 1968 car to cowhorn bumpers?

I can fabricate any brackets if that is the only way.......
Waddii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 16:00   #2
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Waddii;

Welcome to this Forum!

There have been much more serious, horrendous, and sometimes inappropriate changes than installing the early curved bumpers on a later model...this automotive aberration comes to mind:

...presuming you can procure a reasonably priced set in good shape (my money would first go to a set of Anti-Sway Bars, 6" Minilites, and modern tires, but that's just me!), I believe the bracketry is the same.

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 17:58   #3
Waddii

Mmmm, not to my taste, but it takes all sorts!

I am concerned that the body shape hence bumper fit is not an issue. The manual seems to show different bracket shapes but they might have identical hole positioning.
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 18:59   #4
Tint

I have done exactly this, not to the purists taste which I totally get, but looks so so much better.

You can get the bumpers from Brookhouse Volvo and yes the angle irons are different and I got these from Skandix. You will have to fabricate the back wings of the car in order to accommodate the further reaching round rear bumpers, I had Malton Coachworks do this for me as this was beyond my comfort zone.
Tint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2018, 19:53   #5
Waddii

Tint, that is really helpful, thanks. As a supplementary, I'm hoping to change the three spoke steering wheel to a two spoke. Did you do that? any snags....

Last edited by Waddii; Feb 5th, 2018 at 19:55.
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 19:25   #6
Tint

Apologies just seen your further question. Yes I did and the steering wheel change was easy but you need to change the wiring for the horn which can be bought from Brookhouse Volvo. The steering wheel I changed myself but had the wiring done at Malton Coachworks whilst car was having some bodywork done. So not 100% sure what's involved other than is tricky because wire has to be threaded down cavity in steering column spline and I bet they used existing wire and pulled it through using that. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 19:40   #7
fishyboy

Hi Tint
Here is the link to a post I made before Xmas about replacing a three-spoke with two spoke - https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=275761

I have not yet attempted to put the new horn wire in place. I have received alternate views as to how hard it is to thread the new wire so I am thinking of cutting the old where it comes into the steering wheel one a soldering the mechanism from the end of the new on to the cut wire. this way I will not to have to re-thread thru the steering rubber halfway down and the box.

I have also attached some before and after photos of my "restoration" of the wheel.

I have also included a couple of replies i received to the same question on the 1800 Yahoo List:-

If you have one end of the new wire without anything on it attach the
new wire to the old wire with solder and make sure the connection will
fit through the hole in the steering box pull the wire from the steering
box and new wire should thread through the hole.....if it disconnects
just get some solid core thin wire and push it up from the box to the
wheel and try again.....Randy 67 1800S

Not a big deal at all just push the wire through the hole in the
steering box up towards the wheel.....when you get to the breakaway
section on the steering column pull the wire and re-thread it to the
upper part of the column no big deal at all....Randy 67 1800S

t is a PITA to fish a new wire down the entire length of the steering wheel tube because you have to disassemble the rubber isolator from its mounting on the tube in engine bay. If you can solder a length of wire at the top of the tube to the existing wire and shrink wrap/insulate the connection in situ you are better off. JMO, bw, gordon late, great '65S. '61+4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3186.jpg (148.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3184.jpg (165.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3257.jpg (137.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3258.jpg (121.9 KB, 7 views)
fishyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fishyboy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 20:55   #8
Tint

Super helpful Fishboy, sure when Waddii reads your post will help him no end, I chickened out on the wiring part ",)
Take care
Steve aka Tint
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 23:21   #9
mike gilbert
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waddii View Post
Hi All, I am probably going to risk the wrath of the purists on the forum but I would like to know how feasible it is to change the straight bumpers on my P1800S 1968 car to cowhorn bumpers?

I can fabricate any brackets if that is the only way.......
Hello Waddii, I see you live in Huntingdon. I am not far away in Peterborough and have a couple of 1800's. If you want to borrow some cowhorn bumpers and brackets to see how they fit and look I have a set which are not ready to go on a car yet. You are welcome to mess about with them, you might change your mind once their fitted. As has been said the only problem is the rear corners need some support on the ends but you can do that by elongating the mounting irons if you don't want to cut holes in your wings.

Personally I do not like the cowhorns but each to their own.
mike gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 12:32   #10
hichamaziz

hi thank you so much for sharing
hichamaziz is offline   Reply With Quote