Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

DPF problems? hmmmm......

Views : 6623

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 00:23   #31
Bill_56
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby View Post
mine just had service and some more new software and a new sticker for the new lower oil level it has to run now.
Hi Scooby,

That's the first I'd heard of stickers for the lower oil level. Out of interest... what car/engine/year do you have?
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2010, 00:13   #32
scooby

mine is a 08 d5 180bhp
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 10:43   #33
Beemer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rublehousen View Post
'If it is getting hot enough to burn off the soot and contaminants the additional fuel is not injected to clean the DPF.'

that was basically my assumption...go on...thrash it! :-)
That is what I'm doing when the average around town MPG falls from 29 to 19. However within 100 miles the mpg is back to 19.

No DPF light has ever come on my 16k Mile V70.

regards,

Beemer
Beemer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2018, 13:32   #34
Old Fogey

All very interesting.Thank you. I have had my 2007 S40 2.0D SE for 27 months now and there are 138K mile on the clock. I am the only one to drive the car and 95% of journeys are short distance on rural roads. Up until 2 months ago the average fuel consumption was always between 49.6 and 50.2 mpg. Over the past eight weeks the reading has fallen steadily and is now down to 46.5. and no matter how carefully I drive I cannot get the reading to rise, even momentarily. Is it possible that this may have something to do with DPF?
Any advice and comments will be most welcome
Old Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 09:56   #35
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
There is the same amount of bio-diesel in the 'performance' fuels as the other fuels.

There are some very good posts around in here that explain that all diesel is made the same and the additives for v-power, ultimate, excellium, etc are added by the delivery tanker driver when he fills up at the depot. I think that all diesel in UK is now ULSD and as it is the sulphur that causes the soot problems then all fuels will be equal in this respect. I agree that the detergents in the performance fuels can help clean injectors on an older car.

Never used the expensive fuel and never had any issues
Suphur is only an issue if you spend a lot of time at idle, cos it normally form a gas, BUT form Suphuric acid when the cylinders are cold. That results in long term damage to rings and exhaust valve seat.

The real DPF killer is the Zinc based anti wear additives in the engine oil, that's why DPF rated oils contain lower amounts of that very effective additive.

Using top of the range diesel fuel is rather a waste of dosh, although I steer well clear of supermarket or Indy fuel due to filter and gell point concerns. BP (Aral in the EU) and Shell only!

Using a direct feed injection cleaner to fill the fuel filter housing when replacing the element every 100K km cam belt service interval seems to be enough and one can does 2 fills, so it's a much cheaper alternative than top of the range diesel.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2018, 10:01   #36
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fogey View Post
All very interesting.Thank you. I have had my 2007 S40 2.0D SE for 27 months now and there are 138K mile on the clock. I am the only one to drive the car and 95% of journeys are short distance on rural roads. Up until 2 months ago the average fuel consumption was always between 49.6 and 50.2 mpg. Over the past eight weeks the reading has fallen steadily and is now down to 46.5. and no matter how carefully I drive I cannot get the reading to rise, even momentarily. Is it possible that this may have something to do with DPF?
Any advice and comments will be most welcome
46.5 to 49.6 is not a significant change and it could just be a change in fuel type, mix or air temperature. Obviously it could also be DPF Regen related.
A fouled up EGR or intake will also cause a drop of a few percent before obvious symptoms or EML etc.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:

Tags
dpf white smoke diesel