Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 21260

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 08:33   #481
griston64
Premier Member

I'll post pic this afternoon

Cheers
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 09:17   #482
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
So if the radio has one in will the radio and speaker system still work without plugging the external one in or does it have to go through it to make a circuit kind of thing? Would it have to be bypassed. I would assume the speaker outputs go to the amp then the speaker compared to modern radios where the output for the speaker comes out the back of the radio.
From what i understand (i might be wrong) the radios that have external amps don't have an internal one. The plugs for the amp won't fit into amplified radios as far ias i know.
You can buy conversion leads to plug into the Volvo loom to fit a modern radio/head unit and also facia plate adaptors

The radio pre-amp outputs go to the amp, there is no internal amp capable of driving speakers.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 09:21   #483
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
From what i understand (i might be wrong) the radios that have external amps don't have an internal one. The plugs for the amp won't fit into amplified radios as far ias i know.
You can buy conversion leads to plug into the Volvo loom to fit a modern radio/head unit and also facia plate adaptors

The radio pre-amp outputs go to the amp, there is no internal amp capable of driving speakers.
Yea that makes sense that if it has a built in amp that the amp lead won't work with those head units. My concern is that if mine has the external amp does the signal for the speakers have to go through the external amp to the speakers, so if the 'new' radio has a built in amp and therefore no amp socket will the speakers still work?
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 09:50   #484
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Yea that makes sense that if it has a built in amp that the amp lead won't work with those head units. My concern is that if mine has the external amp does the signal for the speakers have to go through the external amp to the speakers, so if the 'new' radio has a built in amp and therefore no amp socket will the speakers still work?
Best thing would be to ask Mark if his breaker has the external amp, if so there's a better chance it should be plug'n'play.

There are bypass leads available for the amp as well, all on ebay. This is a listing for a complete radio/CD including all the patch leads, adaptors etc :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...X/182619427185

The same seller has the patch leads available separately too.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 10:25   #485
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Best thing would be to ask Mark if his breaker has the external amp, if so there's a better chance it should be plug'n'play.

There are bypass leads available for the amp as well, all on ebay. This is a listing for a complete radio/CD including all the patch leads, adaptors etc :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-940...X/182619427185

The same seller has the patch leads available separately too.
That's a good deal to be fair, I just don't want a new one, I want the old school tape deck 😂

If there are bypass leads I imagine it does have to go through the amp but that bypasses it somehow then.
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:01   #486
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
That's a good deal to be fair, I just don't want a new one, I want the old school tape deck 😂

If there are bypass leads I imagine it does have to go through the amp but that bypasses it somehow then.
The link was more so you could click on "Sellers Other Items" and find the right leads if you need them to bypass the amplifier. You could fit an "old skool" radio/tape head unit using the facia adaptor plate although it would almost certainly be non-Volvo.

The Volvo amp is something like 20-25W RMS per channel so is on a par with "all-in-one" head units from the time that could be retro-fitted using the patch lead to convert from the Volvo plugs to the DIN ISO plugs.

First thing to do really is find out if yours has the amp, see if Marks does as well, if so there's a reasonably good chance it will be plug'n'play if you buy Marks unit, if you decide to go down the generic head unit route, you'll need the patch leads, facia adaptor and maybe the aerial adaptor depending what sort of aerial socket your chosen head unit has.

Old Nov 9th, 2019, 11:36   #487
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
The link was more so you could click on "Sellers Other Items" and find the right leads if you need them to bypass the amplifier. You could fit an "old skool" radio/tape head unit using the facia adaptor plate although it would almost certainly be non-Volvo.

The Volvo amp is something like 20-25W RMS per channel so is on a par with "all-in-one" head units from the time that could be retro-fitted using the patch lead to convert from the Volvo plugs to the DIN ISO plugs.

First thing to do really is find out if yours has the amp, see if Marks does as well, if so there's a reasonably good chance it will be plug'n'play if you buy Marks unit, if you decide to go down the generic head unit route, you'll need the patch leads, facia adaptor and maybe the aerial adaptor depending what sort of aerial socket your chosen head unit has.

Mine is definitely plugged into the amplifier and I'm sure it's the original head unit so won't have a built in amp, hopefully Marks is the same so I can just put it straight in, if not I might just take the tape deck out his and put it in mine, the buttons to eject and fast forward etc are all in the same place so would assume they use the same tape deck in both
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 14:47   #488
griston64
Premier Member

Rear of mine ( radio )

IMG_3832.JPG

IMG_3833.JPG
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 15:11   #489
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Rear of mine ( radio )

Attachment 123376

Attachment 123377
Well it's got the amp and the Arial which is good, only issue is the multi plug is different and you have 2! Only other possibility is if your tape deck is the same as mine and I can switch them but that would mean opening hours up to check
Old Nov 9th, 2019, 16:43   #490
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Well it's got the amp and the Arial which is good, only issue is the multi plug is different and you have 2! Only other possibility is if your tape deck is the same as mine and I can switch them but that would mean opening hours up to check
I could cut the plugs off my cables if that would help ? Or is there some kind of adapter
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post: