Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

10,000 mile 240 on Ebay

Views : 3163

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 23:10   #21
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikealder View Post
Thats an easy one, some idiot in the graphics department had the negative the wrong way around when they created the advert - It occurs more commonly than you think! - Mike
Easy enough to undo!!

Des. . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mirrored.jpg (134.3 KB, 22 views)
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 15:40   #22
SteveP
300 Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and his 244 View Post
The blue plug leads are the originals :P My car had them still when I got it (at a shocking 80,000 miles!)
I'll get my coat... !
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 12:37   #23
RCLIFT
Mr

Default 1986 240 gl

Hi All, I have just interestingly found your site and noticed these comments on this car.
I have just purcased the car and it is in excellent condition and yes has only done 10,300 odd miles and drives like new.
It is a carb model and I am very pleased with it and the 5 speed is just great and evrything works as it should.
Just had the new log book back in my name yesterday and the car was first registered on 04/09/1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-240-GL-1...item3a59685838

Looks very very nice!

This looks a really interesting car.

Interesting for it's apparent provenance, and because I'm not sure you'd normally expect to see a late 86 D-reg GL with the 264-style front grille and no rear head rests, chrome wheel trim rings and hub centre caps.

Interesting too as it appears to have the earlier type steering wheel with vertical horn button.

Could it be an 84 or 85 model that's been registered very late?

Jack
RCLIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2010, 19:18   #24
shaun w

hi mate looks like a nice car good ull enjoy a good old volvo
caddy g60
shaun w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 00:18   #25
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

I suspect there's an twofold interesting story behind this car.

Firstly, I'm almost certain it's a 1984 model-year car (so probably made late 83 early 84), but registered in 1986/1987. That's an 82-84 model year front end. 85-onwards had the "late" front. It also has wheels (both roadwheels and the steering wheel) from an earlier car. If it was just one thing, I'd say someone had played with it...but all those things? Plus it looks so "original". Add-in the fact that it's got side repeaters, and I think we've tied it to 1984.

Secondly, it's one of those odd change-over cars (quite common in the 300 series) which defies the "rules" of what should go with what. The body is 1982-1984...but (and this is where it goes a bit wrong, "official" model year-wise)...it has a B200K, which is 1985 model year onwards. It's gotta be one of the very last cars with that bodywork, and one of the very first with a B200. I don't think I've ever seen another like it...but the dates do tie in...by the skin of their teeth. My brain hurts when looking at it because (effectively) this car has an older bodystyle but a newer engine type than my C-plate car (which has a B230A - so the old sidedraft carb setup)!

As for why it's on a D-plate (opposed to a B or C)...I suspect it's a delayed registration. It does happen, and for a variety of reasons. Simon Linton has/had an 850 on an S-plate...when the very last 850s were on an N (or maaaaybe a P). His car had been to America and back as a press car. Another friend has a Citroen GSA which was registered 3 (I think) years after it was built. They sold slowly...!

Not that any of that matters, of course...it's just curious. I hope you're very happy with your new purchase! Rust does like to attack 240s, so keep your eyes peeled...

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post:
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:57   #26
john h
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCLIFT View Post
Hi All, I have just interestingly found your site and noticed these comments on this car.
I have just purcased the car and it is in excellent condition and yes has only done 10,300 odd miles and drives like new.
It is a carb model and I am very pleased with it and the 5 speed is just great and evrything works as it should.
Just had the new log book back in my name yesterday and the car was first registered on 04/09/1986
Hi and welcome!

I'm glad you're pleased with the car and I hope you'll keep us updated about it on the forum.

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 18:20   #27
RCLIFT
Mr

Default 240

Hi All, just a update and thanks to the interest in my car.
I have replaced and fixed the missing trim on the rear door now, had two panels repainted (the rear wheel arch because of a bit of surface rust and rear door panel had a couple of surface deep scratches on).

I am still missing the ash tray from the dash board and seem to be having dificulty finding one but I suppose I will have to be patient.

If anyone knows of one please let me know blue or black

I had the cam belt changed last week, I bought an original Volvo one and it cost me £102 to fix at a local garage so now I can be sure it is sound for a few years/miles now.

I have purchase a set of alloys for it really good condition no scuffing at all, so I am going to repaint them in the next few weeks and get some new tyres.

The tyres on the car are the original ones 24 years old and showing signs of cracking on the walls so will be safer to renew them.

I will be keeping the old steel wheels in storage of course just to keep the car complete.

The front windscreen is just starting to show signs of clouding at the edges around a half inch each side so although not an issue yet it would be good to source a new windscreen at some point.
RCLIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RCLIFT For This Useful Post:
Old May 16th, 2010, 18:37   #28
john h
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Can you post some more photos when you get chance

Thanks

John

john h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 19:01   #29
capt jack
VOC Member

Re your windscreen, if you contact RAC Windscreens they'll be able to come to your home and fit a new one for around about £125. You'll have the choice of plain or tinted, with or without the sunstrip across the top.

Good luck

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2010, 00:11   #30
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Oh dear...I sent a blue ash tray to the scrap yard last weekend. At least it's a common enough item to track down!

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote