Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Footwell leaks

Views : 370

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 13th, 2023, 21:32   #1
VolvoDowen

Default Footwell leaks

Hello,

This is my first post, but I’ve looked at all the similar posts on here regarding leaks. I’m trying to get a handle on the possibilities, and find the most likely. I have a V50 with sunroof.

Originally I had buckets of water coming in and pooling on the drivers side footwell. I thought the problem would be blocked sunroof drain, as you could see water dripping from those side pipes. So I unblocked this and thought I’d solved the problem.

This morning there was a bucket of water in the rear passenger footwell! The front drivers is bone dry. I’m still suspecting sunroof but I can’t fathom what could have changed the location of the puddle and what else I should be seeking to investigate. The rear doors all seem okay, but I have not ruled that out.

The only slight variation is that I live on a hill and last night I was parked facing up hill. I’m still thinking sunroof, or doors. But any other ideas? There’s no sign of any water anywhere else except the footwell.
VolvoDowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 19:29   #2
mlyno

Check for a blocked air con drain, under the carpet by your left foot.
mlyno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2023, 20:36   #3
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoDowen View Post
Hello,

This is my first post, but I’ve looked at all the similar posts on here regarding leaks. I’m trying to get a handle on the possibilities, and find the most likely. I have a V50 with sunroof.

Originally I had buckets of water coming in and pooling on the drivers side footwell. I thought the problem would be blocked sunroof drain, as you could see water dripping from those side pipes. So I unblocked this and thought I’d solved the problem.

This morning there was a bucket of water in the rear passenger footwell! The front drivers is bone dry. I’m still suspecting sunroof but I can’t fathom what could have changed the location of the puddle and what else I should be seeking to investigate. The rear doors all seem okay, but I have not ruled that out.

The only slight variation is that I live on a hill and last night I was parked facing up hill. I’m still thinking sunroof, or doors. But any other ideas? There’s no sign of any water anywhere else except the footwell.
how did you unblock the drains?

check the Front drain tube IS connected to the elbow in the bulk head
Check teh A/c Drain is clear , white plastic elbow by the drivers left ankle area on the center tunnel, peal the carpet back to find it,

but start with checking the drain tube IS still attached to the elbow, thats a Doozy of a job to fix and if i were you id invest in a couple of barbed connectors to extend that pipe by 1/2 inch ,,and do the passenger side as well, its only a matter of Time before that pops off and leaks like the drivers side
Old Nov 18th, 2023, 19:05   #4
Woody252506

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolvoDowen View Post
Hello,

Did you check the rear foot wells when you first noticed the water in the front footwells?

I have an S40 without a sunroof and the front windscreen was letting in water. Got it fixed and then dried out the front footwells using a load of kitchen roll then propped the carpet up with wood and ran the heaters for a few days to make sure all the foam dried out properly. A few weeks later it still felt a little moist when getting in first thing on a morning, checked the fronts and all was dry, checked the rears and these were wet/damp. If the original front leak has been there for a while then some of the moisture and water will have travelled to the back (Especially if you live on a hill!). Essentially the wet rear may be from the initial first leak which you have now fixed.

I'd dry it all out and then leave it until you have some rain then check again.
Woody252506 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
footwells, leaks, sunroof