Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Events and Meetings
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Events and Meetings Car events and meetings for Volvo cars can be listed and discussed here.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RAF MARHAM TRACK WEEKEND 3/4th Oct

Views : 2523

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 7th, 2009, 15:03   #11
John_C
Allons-y!

Damnit! It's my wife's birthday that weekend AND the Alpina guys are running a handling day at the Rockingham wet weather test track on the Saturday as well.....

Some serious negociations with 'er indoors are going to be needed here methinks.....
John_C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John_C For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 18:30   #12
nosuchuser

I've just got a V70R and could well be tempted as my parents live up near Bury.

Any ideas of the format? time on track? Number of other cars there? 60 places allocated to PH'ers - does that include the volvo owners?

Cheers
nosuchuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 20:15   #13
icooney
S60 T6 R-Design P*

Default Track day

Time on track usually 2 groups 30-40 min each in rotation till lunch time then free for all durring afternoon, briefing either 8 or 9am - check on piston heads, 60 places for PH, can include volvos, also other car clubs have spaces, usually 150ish cars,

S60R - MTE, 3" cust ex't, ITG, Aquamist + DDS3, Evolve springs, cust 3" CAI, Greddy Infro touch, Blitz Boost guage+Cust POD, QBM Strut, EST disks, EBC Yellow, SuperBlue fluid, '08 rear light conversion-tinted, IMIV, 12" Alpine sub+Amp, Parrot MKi9200
icooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17th, 2009, 19:22   #14
saturnuranus
VOC Member

John get there so I can grab a lap in the monster!

Sat
1. icooney + 1 (S60R)
2. st5ve (850R)
3. saturnuranus (850 T5)

Sun
1. icooney + 1 (S60R)
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 21:05   #15
Georgey dee
Premier Member

Don't forget me!

Sat
1. icooney + 1 (S60R)
2. st5ve (850R)
3. saturnuranus (850 T5)
4. Georgey Dee. (RAF Astra Estate)

Sun
1. icooney + 1 (S60R)
2. Georgey Dee. (RAF Astra Estate)
Old Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:04   #16
st5ve
S60 R

car checked, fueled and loaded, hotel booked and paid
Marham I am on my way

I am going to try and see what mpg I get on the way up so I have my pipe and slippers at the ready, will then compare my mpg round the track. At a guess I will get around 29mpg driving to Marham and 7mpg around the track.

G D still up for going round in the R?
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 19:31   #17
saturnuranus
VOC Member

Thumbs up

Great day, and thanks Steve for the ride (and loan of a jumper!). A shame we don't see more Volvo's at this event as it really is quite well suited.

Double thumbs up to all the folks that are involved with organisation of the weekend - see you next year!
saturnuranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2009, 20:07   #18
Georgey dee
Premier Member

DAM IT!!!

Sorry steve,,, . I was a busy bunny this time. I had a lot of the track to cover so I got no breaks today.

If your still in the area tomorrow and fancy popping down then I'm sure we can allow a few more laps

Cheers for coming as I really enjoyed watching the old girl again.

George
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 14:48   #19
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnuranus View Post
Great day, and thanks Steve for the ride (and loan of a jumper!). A shame we don't see more Volvo's at this event as it really is quite well suited.

Double thumbs up to all the folks that are involved with organisation of the weekend - see you next year!
You are more than welcome glad you enjoyed the passenger ride, totally agree with you I remember the first time I went to Marham seeing plenty of Volvos.
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 14:49   #20
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgey dee View Post
DAM IT!!!

Sorry steve,,, . I was a busy bunny this time. I had a lot of the track to cover so I got no breaks today.

If your still in the area tomorrow and fancy popping down then I'm sure we can allow a few more laps

Cheers for coming as I really enjoyed watching the old girl again.

George
Hi George,

Nice to see you again and pleased that you enjoyed watching the old girl go round the track. Sorry you never got a chance of going out in her hopefully next time.
Unfortunately I left for Cornwall straight after leaving RAF Marham otherwise I would have taken you up on the offer.

I had a great time at Marham but I will come to that latter, I wanted to give an indication of what a joy it is driving a car like the 850 R to and from an event like this. I spent Friday morning doing a final check over the car to make sure everything was as it should be, once the check was carried out I loaded the car up with 4 spare wheels, tool kit, trolley jack, axle stands, oil, helmet and some spare parts all of which went into the boot. Fuelled the car up using normal 95 from the local Jet garage, zeroed the on board computer and set off for Marham.

I switched the auto transmission in to economy mode to see what the best fuel economy I could get and was very surprised to see 32mpg when I arrived at my Hotel. The journey was 354 miles and took 7hrs 37mins thanks to being held up by 2hrs in various traffic jams. My average moving speed was a measly 46.1 mph thanks to the traffic hold ups.

After a very hefty fry up breakfast I set of for Marham fuelling up with Shell 97 on route. I arrived late (09.30hrs) and missed the briefing, but signed on as soon as I arrived and got down to unloading the car and putting the spare wheels on. One thing to remember is bring tape to blank off and protect your lights, also helps to protect the paint work against stone chips.

The car performed impeccably giving a GPS top speed reading of 138mph (with passenger), returned an average of 9.1mpg including warm down laps and aprox 110 miles before the on board computer said I had 20 miles worth of fuel left. The brakes did not fade and the auto transmission warning light never came on at all, I went out on three sessions the last one being with Peter each session being just under 40 miles each on average.
After my last session I changed the tyres back over and left for home fuelling up on route with Q8 95 fuel, left the car in sport mode as I wanted to see what the fuel consumption would be on the home journey. Managed to get 29mpg with very conservative driving, very surprised to see the average mpg differ so much over the same journey.

A Track day at Marham always attracts a wide range of cars, everything from vintage Minis and MG’s to an Aston Martin. I believe the Seat BTCC racing team were there (the car was done up in the BTCC livery and passed me like I was in reverse, sounded lovely). I spoke to one of the owners of a mint Lotus Carlton, first time I have ever seen one in the flesh what a car! To some it up you can have great fun for very little money and get to experience the limitations of your Volvo and yourself in a safe environment.

The Following User Says Thank You to st5ve For This Useful Post: