Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Free Home Charger

Views : 6455

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2021, 19:19   #11
milzibkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw197 View Post
No, it’s free with a standard install. Will add a new fuse to your RCD fuse box and take a feed from there. Alternatively (and hopefully in my case) from your master fuse in your meter box. Anything different to that and you have to pay.
That's pretty good then, even if we do all end up waiting quite a few months.
milzibkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2021, 20:23   #12
tdw197

Yeah, I’m in no rush. Enjoying slowly charging for free from my solar panels at the moment. A fast charger won’t let me sup from them.
tdw197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 17:15   #13
RandolphC

I had a lot of trouble getting my home charger. Volvo were not interested, NewMotion subcontracted the installation to JojuSolar.
I completed my survey at the end of May and the charger was fitted a week ago. It seems that there are two main problems:
1. To fit the charger the installer has to liaise with your District Network Operator (NDO) not the company to whom you pay your electricity bill, and the NDO have to OK the installation but they are very slow. To overcome this NewMotion agreed to fit a Dynamic Power Management Unit (DPM) at no extra cost which negates th need for the NDO check.
2. The shortage of computer chips is delaying the manufacture of the chargers which comes through NewMotion. If you phone NewMotion it is likely that you will speak to an operator in Holland who will tell you that they will pass your message to the UK sales team. I was lucky as in the end I spoke to a Dutch lady who after hearing of all the delays said that she would "put a firecracker up the mangers bums" - a week later my charger was fitted.
RandolphC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19th, 2021, 21:39   #14
tdw197

DNOs are renowned for being slow, they have no interest in being quick. Be thankful that the Meter Operator (MOP) are not involved as you’ll have no chance this side of Armageddon.
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 18:29   #15
Maccaboy10

I ordered in June, and my installation of a NewMotion charger was scheduled for today (Sep 22nd) but no one turned up!
I have been trying to call and email NewMotion several times over the last few weeks, but their phone lines don’t work and I’ve had no response to emails. I did have the generic delays email which prompted my outreach as I wasn’t sure what that meant to me as I’ve had the install scheduled for months.
I understand the chip issue, but what’s with the poor communication? Are NewMotion still in business?
Maccaboy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 20:09   #16
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Quote:
No, it’s free with a standard install. Will add a new fuse to your RCD fuse box and take a feed from there. Alternatively (and hopefully in my case) from your master fuse in your meter box. Anything different to that and you have to pay.
They will not take it from your master fuse in the meter box. It will need to be fed from your consumer unit so you will need a spare circuit space (called a "way"). Then for regs they should install a double pole RCD between the consumer unit and the charger.
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22nd, 2021, 23:36   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Has anyone else signed up for the recent free home charger for Volvo PHEVs and Electrics?

Finally got my email about registering after 2 weeks, but every email since says it may be up to 4 to 5 months. Wondered if anyone has had there’s done yet and whether it really is that long?
There is a National shortage of charging units due to the microprocessor shortages and simple exceptional demand , volvo have 3500 orders in the chain at the moment you will either have to wait or accept a £500 cash payment from volvo to cancel their deal and get your own fitted . They should have explained this to you if you have enquired .
Old Sep 24th, 2021, 07:25   #18
tdw197

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
There is a National shortage of charging units due to the microprocessor shortages and simple exceptional demand , volvo have 3500 orders in the chain at the moment you will either have to wait or accept a £500 cash payment from volvo to cancel their deal and get your own fitted . They should have explained this to you if you have enquired .
I’m in no rush.
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 08:30   #19
Guymcc

What do you need to qualify for this deal folks? This is the first time ive heard of it. Ive a 2017 T8 that i bought back in Feb/mar. Who is the first point of contact for this? Thanks
Old Sep 29th, 2021, 09:18   #20
sk546
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
What do you need to qualify for this deal folks? This is the first time ive heard of it. Ive a 2017 T8 that i bought back in Feb/mar. Who is the first point of contact for this? Thanks
I believe that the free charger offer from Volvo is only available on new order cars so not available to existing owners of T8 vehicles but someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

There is a government grant available that helps to fund the installation of a home charge point for owners of Plug-in Hybrids & EV cars. Link Below:
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-for-customers

When I bought my XC60 2 years ago, the grant was set at £500 but it appears to have dropped to £350 now.
The 7.2KW home charger with hard wired type 2 connection cost a total of £750 to install so after the grant, I only had to pay £250.

Its worth looking into if you dont currently have a a home fast charger fitted.

Previous - MY20 XC60 T8 Polestar Engineered - Onyx Black - Sensus
sk546 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sk546 For This Useful Post: