Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

new clocks into older car

Views : 1217

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 22:03   #1
Dog_Book
Idiot

Default new clocks into older car

Has anyone installed the later type clocks the ones with an old type fuel and engine temp guage into the earlier version which has a LCD dial for the info centre? Also would the clocks that show 160mph still read true as mine only have 140mph max on them. Cheers i have the early kind but would like to keep the info centre but have the normal kind of fuel guage.

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 10:26   #2
Dog_Book
Idiot

Take that as a no then

Old Jun 5th, 2011, 10:39   #3
btsam
Master Member

Sorry chief, been away for a few days

not sure about your's with the lcd fuel/info etc

I recently swapped mine as the speedo died altogether

now i have the info centre with the normal fuel, temp gauges with the info centre underneath

mine doesnt have the info centre button (centre console) but the plugs were the same and all the gauges work other wise

only ones i know need a load of re-wiring are the later (ford) style clocks as the plugs are different

s

Showroom thread - http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=85795
btsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10th, 2011, 23:47   #4
Dog_Book
Idiot

Well with the help from Salvo i had started again see how this can be done.

Ive put a set of clocks from a 99 T4 into mine today.
Revs work
Speedo matches
Fuel works
Water temp just sits down doing nothing ;/

Now on the info part under the fuel and water only some work
miles to empty works
trip works
outside temp works
avg MPG work
instant MPG is messed up
avg MPH works
there is what looks like instant MPH shows blank

So im pleased as i get all the info i need expect the water temp which is important. So its either the clocks are faulty and should show water temp (last time i tried pulling other clocks in it did work but the clocks did not have a info center LCD in the clocks) or i need to try out/rewire the info centre switch to make it work. I realised that my old clocks show the fuel level all the time so therefore is not switched whereas the water temp you have to turn the dial to see it ;/

Anyway thanks Salvo ill be parking my car outside your gate saturday with my tools so i can try another set of clocks lol

Also, since i took my steering wheel off and disconected the air bag my air bag light is on all thime time ;/

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 08:11   #5
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
Also, since i took my steering wheel off and disconected the air bag my air bag light is on all thime time ;/
Interesting info on making the clocks work - keep it coming.

If (next time, after you've got it reset!) you disconnect battery and wait a few mins before removing airbag, you shouldn't get the airbag light. Didn't get it on mine anyway when I did this before I took them out.
Old Jun 11th, 2011, 14:15   #6
Dog_Book
Idiot

Well SALVO were a real help, i tired other T4 clocks and a 2.0T and a GDI set but all worked in a similar way but the water temp needle kept going up for 3 sec's then dropping back down. I even tried a newer info centre switch but that didnt affect it at all.
It must have somethign to do with the info centre in the clocks or the wiring loom as the Haynes manual shows all wiring to be basicly the same. Im sure last time i tried this i put some clocks that had no info center in them and the temp needle worked fine. this is why im thinking its more like where the clocks get the info from as my older set you have to turn the dial to set it to engine temp whereas the new clocks have it on a needle.

Any auto electricains out there that could work this out at all?
seems odd cos the wiring shows it comes from the water temp sensor straight to the clocks, but i dont want to start shorting wires fron the back of the info center to see if it brings anything up.

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 16:38   #7
Dog_Book
Idiot

these clocks are alos for my year of car with a 140 mph but wiht no info centre. I did hear once that dealers could supply you with a kit to upgrade your clocks and on these you can see a slot on the bottom left side where it looks like a lcd could slide in and where a connector might pulg in as there is a nummber of spare connections there.. wonder if this woudl work if someone knew what the part was?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LUCY84011.jpg (87.7 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg LUCY84012.jpg (110.1 KB, 33 views)

Old Jun 11th, 2011, 20:14   #8
Thanatos
VOC Member

i attempted to do this in my first v40 and the speedo was a mile out as the dials are the same size i eventually stripped out the dials and transplaned them into the newer one with the 160 mph water temp worked and fuel guage worked ok as for the info centre some of the components are not there in the wiring loom and would need to be added but for the life of me i can't remember which ones
Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Thanatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 28th, 2011, 21:16   #9
Dog_Book
Idiot

Ok i got some clocks fromt he same year like in the photo's above and they all work fine. Now i just need to find out what Volvo part slots into the lower right slot and connects with that loose wiring connection.. it certainly looks like the black plastic black pulls out to uncover the slot for a lcd.

Old Jun 30th, 2011, 19:36   #10
Dog_Book
Idiot

Can anyone look on Vadis or the new version to see if there is an upgrade LCD for the outside temp etc to fit in the slot you can see in the pics above?