Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Hardwire a Dash Cam

Views : 11286

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2014, 21:39   #1
jxm69

Default Hardwire a Dash Cam

Hi,

I was unfortunate enough to have someone crash into me on a roundabout a few months back, after months of argument the other parties insurance company has finally agreed that their client is fully to blame. I've decided that footage from a dash cam could have made the whole process of proving responsibility far easier, so I've bought one of these https://joovuu.com/gb/home/66-mini-0...-with-gps.html along with a hardwire kit https://joovuu.com/gb/accessories/10...dwire-kit.html. I'm not keen on splicing into the the XC90 wiring so I also purchased an add-a-circuit / piggyback fuse http://www.amazon.co.uk/Add-A-Circui...KEEBGY3ESGXWMQ. I'm now hoping that someone can assist in telling me what fuse I should piggy back off of. I want to use a fuse that is 'hot on start' as I don't want the camera running all the time. I've tried checking the various fuses to check which ones have no power running through them when the ignition is off however I can't locate one (I've checked the fuses located under the drivers footwell and the side of the dash on the drivers side. I'm not an electrician so may well be using the circuit tester incorrectly!! ). If it turns out that I need to use a mini-fuse rather than the standard size then I'll buy that size of add-a-circuit. I'm assuming doing the hardwire using this method won't cause any issues?

All help appreciated!!

John
jxm69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jxm69 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 20:19   #2
jxm69

Now sorted. Piggy backed off of fuse 11 (12V outlets) in the Central Electronic Module located in the drivers footwell. Camera mounted behind rear view mirror, with all wires routed through head liner, A pillar and dash. Camera active when ignition on.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jxm69 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 2nd, 2014, 22:07   #3
timh30

Be careful of the curtain airbags when routing wires through the headlining. I found it safer to route wires along the bottom under the plastic door trims and carpet - avoiding the airbags completely.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timh30 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2014, 19:08   #4
jxm69

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh30 View Post
Be careful of the curtain airbags when routing wires through the headlining. I found it safer to route wires along the bottom under the plastic door trims and carpet - avoiding the airbags completely.
Thanks. I thought of that and ran the cable at the very front of the headliner and alongside the existing wiring harness within the A Pillar. I did see what looked like the curtain airbag anchor point in the A Pillar but was well clear of that.

John
Old Apr 7th, 2014, 21:03   #5
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX
Trader

Hi,
If it's of any interest a number of our insurance schemes allow discounts for certain in-car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.
DAN AT ADRIAN FLUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2015, 12:42   #6
A lex
Premier Member

I bought an 0801 camera a few weeks ago and its seriously good.

I finally got around to hard wiring it this morning.

Very easy job - one small pitfall is that all the small fuses in the small dash fusebox (inside the door opening) are permanent live, even though they are for stuff like the CD player which only work with IGN ON.

So, skip by there and head straight to the larger central fuse box and use FUSE 11 as mentioned by a poster above.

Piggybacking off fuse 11:

This is a good earth point in the door recess:

A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 13:48   #7
jamesholley

Hello guys

I note your comment about the fuses in the small fuse box by the door opening.

I am fitting a Brodit active phone holder with charging unit and was going to utilise fuse 14, which is marked as telephone on the fuse chart.

If they are permanent live, why would this cause issues as surely the car charger would not draw power when my phone is not in the cradle?

Thanks

James
jamesholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2015, 14:51   #8
A lex
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesholley View Post
Hello guys

I note your comment about the fuses in the small fuse box by the door opening.

I am fitting a Brodit active phone holder with charging unit and was going to utilise fuse 14, which is marked as telephone on the fuse chart.

If they are permanent live, why would this cause issues as surely the car charger would not draw power when my phone is not in the cradle?

Thanks

James
For a phone charger it (perhaps) wouldnt cause issues.... but we are discussing dahscams, where a permanent live causes the camera to be always on....
A lex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A lex For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 09:23   #9
jamesholley

Thanks Alex, I am going to give it a try there and see how it goes, as I have bought a mini blade piggy back holder. Worst case, I can always by another one and move it to the main fuse box.
jamesholley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21st, 2015, 21:29   #10
Fatlab

Ive just wired mine in using the left side 20A Yellow (full size) fuse in the picture above. Handbook didn't describe a fuse in that location but I'd already bought the full size piggy back connector rather than the micro one. The fuse appears to be live in the engine on (Ignition II) position rather than the Accessory (I) position. Similarly it appears to remain powered for about 20 seconds after the ignition is turned off.

Any ideas what that fuse is for?

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Fatlab For This Useful Post: