Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Head Skimming! Where?

Views : 654

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 12:54   #1
Flying Torquewrench

Default Head Skimming! Where?

Hello All,

As i am replacing the headgasket on my S40 so i need to have the head skimmed.

Does somebody know a good place where they can do this?

Preferable around the London Gatwick airport region. (1.5 hours radius).

Thanks for your time.

FT
Flying Torquewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 13:10   #2
Hobblygoblin

Hi,

Looks like you're in luck - I used to live in Crawley and the cheapest head skimming place round that way is Southern Rebore on Rowfant Industrial Estate (from Turners Hill Road take a left down Rowfant Lane and the industrial units are about 1 mile down on your right).

Give them a bell on 01342 713634

Regards

Hobbly.

ps, in case you satnav postcode is RH10 3NQ

Last edited by Hobblygoblin; Feb 28th, 2007 at 13:16.
Hobblygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 13:20   #3
Flying Torquewrench

Cheers, Hobblygoblin,

As luck (what you call luck) may have it, i live in Crawley so its around the corner. i will give them a bell see what they charge these days.

Can i asume that you have got some positive experience with them?

Thanks again.

FT
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 14:24   #4
Hobblygoblin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Torquewrench View Post
Cheers, Hobblygoblin,

As luck (what you call luck) may have it, i live in Crawley so its around the corner. i will give them a bell see what they charge these days.

Can i asume that you have got some positive experience with them?

Thanks again.

FT
Yep, been using them for a number of years now and always had good service. I started using them when I had a Saab 900 T16s on which the head went, took it to Turners Hill Saab and they quoted me something like £500 - Southern Rebore was recommended to me by a mechanic mate so I took it there and they charged me about £40. Turns out that at the time Saab were using Southern for this work anyway.
Stealerships and their mark-ups eh?!?!
Hobblygoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2007, 19:38   #5
Flying Torquewrench

Thanks Hobbly,

For a complete head gasket replacement including all the velts etc. i got quoted £450 by the dealer. The garage around the corner quoted £350.
But the cheapest was the garage close to my parents who quoted £200 - £250 for the same work. Unfortunately said garage is in the Netherlands and i prefer to have it in a good condition before i drive over.

If Rebore quote something like £40 than i probably will do the replacement myself. As all new parts cost in the region of £120 plus the skimming and its becoming a fairly cheap job to do.

I'll give them a call on monday (have been abroad for a few days) and i will post my findings here.

Cheers, FT
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 23:56   #6
HKCK 850
Newbie but an Oldie

Smile Head Skimming

Hi FT. Am I right in assuming you have tried Charlwood Volvo? You don't name the garage you've tried. Ask for Peter on 01293 863535. I get all my servicing done there. I highly recommend them.
Dave
HKCK 850 is offline   Reply With Quote