Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Emergency Flashing Lights

Views : 1304

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2016, 09:15   #1
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Default Emergency Flashing Lights

Hi all,

I just wanted to share something that I saw over on an aircooled VW forum that I thought was very good. I've often though about what to do if I breakdown without hazard warning lights. In one of my Amazons I have a piece of wire to connect up the 2 rear indicators to flash at the same time, but what a ball ache!

Well here's a good and cheap solution:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/led-warning-l...69008021546100

Battery powered flashing LED's with a magnet.
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 09:23   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Seen this before but I think it might be illegal for car use.
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 09:44   #3
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcturus View Post
Seen this before but I think it might be illegal for car use.
Don't care! Better than not having flashing lights if I break down! I would prefer to attract as much attention to my stationary car if needs be!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 10:29   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Me to. Just thought I would warn you. If I remember correctly it's written on box.
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 13:41   #5
Ponvanman

I have a magnetic amber flashing light which goes on the roof and plugs into the cigarette lighter socket
Ponvanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 14:40   #6
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Default Adding Emergency Flashers is a good idea!

Forum;

Ideally, we should keep our cars in an operating condition that they aren't likely to break down...but of course, it's always good to be prepared for such an eventuality...so adding Emergency Flashers is a very good idea, and I do recommend it! It involves connecting right and left Directional Indicator circuits together (preferably with something less rustic and not requiring contortions under the dashboard or hood [bonnet], than a wire dangling somewhere...), and applying (Battery) power by way of a Flasher Element.

Simply connecting the two Dir Ind circuits (Ign Pwr) together also means that to flash, Volvo owners would need to turn key to apply power...not a problem, BUT...it is important to remember to use the Accessory Pos 1 for this which does not also apply Ign Coil power (to avoid overheating coil)!

To do this more cleanly and properly, I do like the EFlasher Switches which were installed in the '67+ 140 series (US market). They feature a knob shape which matches the other controls nicely, and which is lighted, and flashes along, when the EFlasher function is engaged. Technically, these are also a breeze to connect as they have their own Flasher Element...so are connected with a mere three wires! Unfortunately, these 140 switches are getting difficult to find at this point...so I have started looking for alternatives. What I have found as a possible option is a switch originally marketed for tractors! The NESAN switch has a similar tulip shaped lighted knob and is reasonably priced from a number of (EU) sellers on e-pay!

Beware, this switch has no Flasher Element so needs to be wired in using a total of seven wires...also, poor quality, no name knock-offs of the switch are also offered...I recommend staying away from these...I got one for evaluation and it looked like it would last from 11 to noon (on a good day!) or maybe ten activations! I have yet to get one of the NESAN switches for a critical inspection, but from the rubbish knock-off, I expect the originals to be acceptable, although I have yet to confirm this.

See additional details here: http://www.sw-em.com/emergflash.htm

Cheers!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Feb 12th, 2016 at 14:42.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 16:30   #7
Volvo_133
VOC member

Default hazard warning lights

I have a red flashing pull switch with built in flasher unit as Ron has suggested.
Has a 12v feed which is non-ignition, so car can be locked up safely if needed.
A friend of mine has a breakers yard, where most of his cars are from this generation. I will see what i can find on my next visit. I enjoy a good rummage around in breakers yards.
I have also fitted a variable intermittent wiper switch from an old 340??? I have removed the cig lighter and used its hole for the wiper unit.

Chris.
Volvo_133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2016, 16:44   #8
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Chris;

It would be super if your friend could supply the VOC community with some 140 style EFlasher switches.

It should be noted that when mounting EFlasher Switches (whether alternate manufacturer or the OE 140 style) in hole originally occupied by Cig Lighter, that some centering washers need to be added to keep the much smaller bushing of the switch centered in the huge hole, as well as a positive chassis connection to the switch bushing (...its' the return current path for Indicator in knob).

Cheers
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13th, 2016, 11:12   #9
SWAmazon

Good idea, the (11 year old) battery failed on my GT6 a couple of weeks ago in the dark, not enough in it to power the hazard lights. In those circumstances who cares whether the flashing warning light is legal?
SWAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2016, 17:40   #10
red122
Master Member

Default emergency light

Bought one from Aldi yesterday . well worth it given i don't have hazards on my amazon .
going on winter challenge to monte carlo next week and if i break down in the fog ill be glad of one of these.
thank you for the heads up
red122 is offline   Reply With Quote