Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C30 1.6 Diesel, Oil in air filter

Views : 820

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 7th, 2017, 21:55   #1
Durhamsmudger

Default C30 1.6 Diesel, Oil in air filter

Hi
I have a 2010 C30, I have found quite a bit of oil in the air inlet to the turbo charger , the Breather hose, and the air filter . Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what is the cause
Thanks
Durhamsmudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2017, 23:39   #2
skyship007
Premier Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durhamsmudger View Post
Hi
I have a 2010 C30, I have found quite a bit of oil in the air inlet to the turbo charger , the Breather hose, and the air filter . Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what is the cause
Thanks
Do you have a standard air intake system with a MAF sensor and EGR etc ??

If you short trip a lot it might just be half burnt diesel, rather than oil that has been fed back by the EGR during warm up. Half burnt diesel fuel looks and feels just like old engine oil.

It might also be caused by bad turbo oil seals leaking oil back through the EGR, or even leaky valve guide oil seals or worn rings.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2017, 09:39   #3
Durhamsmudger

I should have mentioned , although the car is 2010 it only has 47k miles on the clock, everything within the induction system is standard.also this is definitely oil and not diesel, is there a , there is s tee on the inlet hose from the rocker box breather. What I don't know is if there is some sort of baffle/ demister somewhere that could have failed in some way , the MAF is soaked,
Cheers
Durhamsmudger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Durhamsmudger For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 00:31   #4
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Sounds odd to have part of the vent routed upstream of the MAF sensor, so this could be caused by a sudden over presuure during a cold start from either too high an oil level or bad oil filter pressure relief valve. Might also be the CCV system valve has jammed fully open.

Be careful cleaning the MAF as you should use a genuine OEM standard MAF sensor spray.
Cheap contact cleaner can be contaminated enough to make the sensor sticky.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 11th, 2017 at 01:11.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote