Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Thinking about the future

Views : 2194

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 31st, 2017, 10:36   #1
woodman
Master Member

Default Thinking about the future

Hello, I'd like to start a discussion about what the future holds, for my Amazon ownership and more generally.....

I use Magnus as a daily driver and do about 3,000 miles a year these days. After 7.5 years of ownership, the car is actually in about the best condition it's been in for a very long time. The bodywork is great, everything works fine mechanically, and there are just a few internal trim jobs to do following last year's theft and vandalism, ie some bits of chrome and some carpets. I've also done small but important upgrades for a daily, year-round car, like front and rear automatic seatbelts, halogen headlights, front and rear foglights, intermittent wipers. It's a great, practical, enjoyable car.

I'm now reaching a point where I'm thinking, what's the best future for the car? This is partly about the likelihood of future restrictions in my usage. When the MOT exemption takes effect, will this be followed by tighter mileage restrictions? As the national/international issue of vehicle emissions grows, will I be prevented from using Magnus around town? Linked to this, bearing in mind all the money and love that has gone into this rolling restoration, do I make the best of that by selling it to someone who will keep it in a garage, keep it clean and use it on sunny Sundays, or do I use the hell out of it until either it dies or legislation makes it too hard to use any more? With all that in mind, where do I go next in terms of improvements/modifications etc?

I think I've got three general options:

1. Keep the car ticking over as an everyday car, don't 'invest' in it, just use it and do general maintenance for the foreseeable future, and don't worry about the economics of selling on a car in less that tip-top condition;

2. Sell it now while it's in great (but everyday) condition;

3. Spend more time and money making it even better, particularly thinking about conversion from auto to man o/d, and possibly an LPG conversion if this will cut any ice in terms of future emissions regs.

I'm not expecting that you folks will give me any definitive answers, but I'd welcome your thoughts and it would be great to discuss it.

Cheers.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 11:25   #2
Groundes-Peace
Master Member

What you have aired here is what many classic car owners will be thinking about.
I believe one perspective that may be worth considering is the very wide ownership of veteran, vintage, classic and "super cars here. I haven't tried to research what the numbers are, but assume it is very large and also provides a considerable amount of employment.
When it comes down to it, this subject is more about emotion than economics. Sometimes it may not be best to over rationalise ones plans and intentions when it comes to cars......
Good luck what ever you decide!
Groundes-Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Groundes-Peace For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 12:34   #3
P1800Ray

A long time ago, I sold my MGB as the scare merchants predicted the doom that would follow the introduction of unleaded petrol (I said it was a long time ago !) including engine failures and falling resale prices.

I hear about the relaxation of MOT rules and, balanced against this, a mate of mine with a Chevy Bel Air heard a rumour that 'modified' cars will have to display Q plates.

Consolation may be taken in the fact that those making the laws probably have rather nice classic cars and they will not want the sort of restrictions that we are worrying about.
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to P1800Ray For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 12:39   #4
Faust
Master Member

Only you can decide how much time and money you want to invest in your car. I’ve gone down a similar route and tried to improve the everyday expereince of driving a classic: heated rear window, hazard lights, better headlights, uprated blower motor for demisting, uprated alternator, more supportive seats, uprated suspension… the list goes on!

Put simply, my car owes me over 14 grand and there is no way on earth it is ‘worth’ that much to someone else, but who cares? It’s my baby!

Personally, I tend not to worry too much about future restrictions which haven’t even been announced (if indeed they exist at all). Why stress about future ‘maybes’? Don’t get me wrong, I believe some form of ‘restriction’ will probably happen, but why stress over something in the future?

I’ve been saying for a while that we are living in a golden age of classic ownership: parts available on the ‘net, videos on youtube showing how to tackle tricky jobs, forums offering an excellent level of support, help and advice…but most importantly, we are able to drive our cars whenever we like.

Bet this won’t be the case in 20 years’ time – so get out there and enjoy your cars!
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 13:19   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Forum;

I'm with Faust on this!

Cheers
Ron Kwas is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 13:25   #6
woodman
Master Member

Generally I agree with you Mike. I'm not suggesting that any car of any age is anything other than a money-pit, and when I talk about investing I mean in making it a better, more enjoyable car rather: the return on the investment is in enjoyment, not money. But I do worry a bit about the future, in that I have no interest in owning a car that sits in a garage and comes out on bank holidays, and I am concerned that honing my car so that it's the thing I most enjoy driving only be told I can't use it would be pretty frustrating.

I'm also an environmentalist (and a hypocrite!) and I know that reducing people's usage of dirty cars - and cars in general, if we're honest - is the right thing to do. I have a rare old car that runs as well as it possibly can, and I'd much rather do 3,000 miles a year in that than 10,000 miles a year in anything. But if the law or insurance limited me to 1,000 miles a year, I'd have to sell.

2002 Audi TT quattro. (Sorry!)
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 15:27   #7
P1800Ray

We could always get the better half to tow us in the daily driver :-)
P1800Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 18:19   #8
Underdrive

Not suggesting anyone should be dishonest with their insurers but I can't see mileage restrictions being very easy to impose by any authority or insurer when without the need for an MOT there will be no official record of the odometer reading.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 20:34   #9
123GT-AMAZON
1800necwinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdrive View Post
Not suggesting anyone should be dishonest with their insurers but I can't see mileage restrictions being very easy to impose by any authority or insurer when without the need for an MOT there will be no official record of the odometer reading.
Or having a spare speedo one for rules and one for enjoying the car 🚗

I grew up on classic volvos hence my passion for them born and breed into the lifestyle !
123GT-AMAZON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 23:39   #10
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Or a speedo that sometimes does not work.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: